The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-23-2005, 05:07 AM   #1486
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I only have 30 hours so far in Dragon Quest 8. It's going to take me forever to beat it...

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:44 AM   #1487
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I am surprised that you did not like SotC. That game was so different and unique because it had not been done before.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:48 PM   #1488
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Just because a game is somewhat unique doesn't mean it's very fun to play. Katamari Damachii was unique and fun to play; SotC wasn't. It's just a graphics showpiece with dull gameplay. There were only a few bosses which were kind of exciting to do battle with, such as that colossus which chases you inside of that cavern with the sand.

Gameplay is what I'm after. Make a game that's fun to play and I'm there. Games like Ys VI, Strider, Puyo Puyo....
Old 12-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #1489
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

See, Katamari to me was dull. That game got old so fast and I still can not see what the big draw to that game is. All you do is roll a ball around for hours. I guess it all depends on your taste in games/genre because to me SotC was a great game yet something like Katamari bore me to tears.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #1490
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I'm confused
Old 12-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #1491
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Welcome to my world

Old 01-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #1492
gearhound
Versus the World

DQ VIII is profoundly amazing. i have over 107 hours logged and i am still not finished. this is the best RPG on the PS2, and is one of the best RPGs i have ever had the pleasure of playing. the story is incredibly well told and is also very good. the character development is disqustingly deep and adds immensly to the story overall.

as for shadow of the collosus, it is the best looking PS2 game to date. you have to get used to the horse controls to really enjoy it; it's just another awesome game developed by the santa monika studios.

i will read your reviews later, icarus. i am off the play more DQVIII.

by the way, i enjoyed your music compilations. the are a welcomed addition to my game music collection, which isn't very big.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #1493
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Expect another new mix relatively soon.

I'll have up reviews for Trauma Center, Tokimeki Memorial Taisen, Mushihimesama, ESP Galuda, and more very soon. (Sorry for the delay; I've been terribly sick.)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #1494
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Let's perform the surgery!

Trauma Center ~ Under The Knife - Nintendo DS - Rating 8
Atlus (n): Those who make quality softs. For those of you who think that the Nintendo DS' touchscreen is just a gimmick, Trauma Center will prove you dead wrong. Virtually the entire game is played via the touch screen -- in fact, you can play the entire game that way. What is it with Atlus? The amount of ass they kick is beyond profound. So what's all the hubbub about, anyway? TC is a surgery game. That's correct. You'll be removing foreign objects from bodies, performing laser hemostatis, perform a laparotomy, and more. Much more. The learning curve is precise to a T and you'll really feel like you're affecting the lives surrounding you, especially when someone's life hangs by a thread (which will occur on multiple occasions). All this dramatic quality for about $30-40? Yes, please! This game is more mature than just about every other game out there, for any system. And you simply cannot not find this style of gameplay anywhere else.

As this is an Atlus game, expect the exceptional in just about every facet. From the truly awesome cast of characters to the brilliant story and dialogue, TC keeps you glued to the DS for a more memorable experience than any medical drama in existance. "Look honey! They're performing heart bypass surgery on ER!" "Sorry babe, I'm busy suturing up some ghastly wounds right now. Can you come back in a couple of hours?" Hell yeah. Such is the brilliance of the minds over at Atlus. You think a company such as Rockstar or Square could come up with something equally brilliant? Please. Leave it to the masters, I say.

You are Derek Stiles, a young surgeon who lost his father to an incurable illness. As you will see, Dr. Stiles very much doubts his abilities at the outset, but later begins to take his work much more seriously. You will encounter a wide variety of characters throughout the game, and eventually you'll have to tackle a sort of biological terrorism known simply as GUILT. That's all I'm going to say in regards to the story.

Using your stylus, you'll be able to utilize a wide variety of medical instruments such as a scalpel, stitches, forceps, scanner, laser (including a modified one later on), and more. You're given a time limit which differs per operation and you'll be graded depending on how fast and how accurately you perform each operation. Whenever characters are conversing, it uses (excellent) artwork which is kept on the top screen for the most part. And while you're performing surgery, it uses 3D renders of the patient's body, all of which are extremely well rendered, I might add. Some of the later operations are extremely challenging, but you can work around much of it by utilizing the Healing Touch which slows down time (double-tap the Hand icon and draw a star, but only once Dr. Stiles has acquired the ability to use it). After you successfully complete each operation and save your game, you can go back to any previous ones in the Challenge mode. If you want to know more, please consult your game manual -- I write reviews, not how-to-play guides.

More than just "another game's soundtrack," TC sports some great pieces of music, both dramatic and uplifting, though usually the former. Atlus knows how to take full advantage of the DS' sound processor and this game proves it with an almost CD quality soundtrack. There's some voice work and plenty of sound effects, too (*thump, thump!*).

Unfortunately, I've heard that this game has been discontinued. That's really a shame because Trauma Center is one of the highlights of the year, a genuinely unique experience that deserves more attention than it has received. Instead, the usual cast of crap titles gets all the attention, undeservedly. But I know you're smarter than that because, well, because you're reading my review. Do go pick up a copy if you haven't already. "Doctor, please come to the emergency room." If you'll excuse me, there are patients in need of my help.

OK! Let's get started!

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-10-2006 at 04:59 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #1495
Paper exe
Pwnd

Icarus, did you try Phoenix Write for NDS? That game is truly made by geniuses (Capcom).
Well, the game may be outdated (a GBA remake) but still a very good game.

The goodnews is that they will make a new one and this time it would be a new game and made for NDS, which means better graphics/sound and a lot more new features. You can wait for the sequel (That if they will release it outside of Japan). I still think this one is still worth owning, thought.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #1496
Rain
As seen on T.V.

I just beat Phoenix Wright last night. The game is awesome.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #1497
Joe Redifer
Olé!

While I like Trauma Center: Under da Knife, I just can't seem to get too into it. For no reason whatsoever the patient's vitals start dropping (seemingly at random). I try again and do everything the same way and the patient lives. I make an incision STRAIGHT down the dotted line and it says "bad"? WTF? Other times it says "Cool". Anyway while a good game, Trauma Center just isn't very captivating. Never been much of a fan of Atlus games, either.

It's definitely better than Sonic Rush, though!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #1498
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
It's definitely better than Sonic Rush, though!
Thank you for trashing Sonic Rush. I am trying to convince Sinful Sam not to buy it.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #1499
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
Icarus, did you try Phoenix Write for NDS? That game is truly made by geniuses (Capcom).
No, not yet anyway. I intend to sometime, though.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #1500
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

You might want to pick up Phoenix Write soon Icarus. The game is getting hard to find and there are rumors saying it's being discontinued.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote