The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Macbook Air.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

Its a super awesome looking thin laptop lacking only in any good tech but still maintains a for a 4 digit price. I like Apple's design and innovation as much as the next guy but this is junk. It looks more like a really cool prototype concept but any laptop that needs a dvdv drive to install its OS, and then DOESN'T come with one, doesn't deserve its asking price.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
murray
<insert witty motto>

no optical drive=shit
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Lame. Rumors were flying around that it had a touch screen monitor or the screen rotated to allow it to become a tablet. That would have made this a badass laptop. This is just crap. My MacBook might be weaker, but it's more of a functioning computer than that toy.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

What makes this laptop weaker then any macbook is well, its lack of ports. It has 1 USB port. No DVD drive. No Ethernet. All for more then a laptop with all of this. Its best advantage is back lighting keyboard. Maybe if it was alot cheaper then the macbooks, coming in around $800 or something, this be somewhat decent. But its starting price is $1, 799. Thats just to START.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Seraph
>:3

Why do you guys need an optical drive? It seems your all missing the point of this laptop.

Looks really cool, I would get one of Apple didnt overcharge for all their stuff.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
murray
<insert witty motto>

What do you reckon an optical drive is used for?
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Seraph

I honestly dont know nowadays

I barley use mine in my desktop. Only for burning data off on DVD's. Almost all of my drivers/games/programs are downloaded. Installing the OS can be done from a USB thumb drive now, and its much easier and faster. Burning DVD's isnt something you really need the portability of a laptop to do. So I dont know, its why I asked the question.

This is a notebook. Not an end-all, only PC youl ever need, ect ect. When I see everyone complaing "it sucks cause of lack of features" I feel they are missing the point of this product.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

The new OS needed a DL-DVD to install. Sure you can download it through wifi, but who wants to download up to 7GB? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

I think it's really cool that they're pushing towards everything going digital. Also being able to run CD/DVD's wirelessly from a mac or pc is really neat.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Time Capsule looks pretty fuckin sick though. $499 is kinda expensive for a 1TB External HDD. But it's wireless router too, with a USB port for printers. Hmmm.....tax refunds can't come soon enough.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #11
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Now that Router is innovation!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
The new OS needed a DL-DVD to install. Sure you can download it through wifi, but who wants to download up to 7GB? I sure as hell wouldn't.
7GB dosent take that long. I've downloaded 10GB in 6 hours before. Coming from Apples dedicated servers on cable internet, I would imagine it goes faster than that.

And besides were talking about Installing an OS, how often does one need to do that? To me, the added portability this laptop offers more than outweighs the rare need for a DVD drive.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Please explain to me what 'added' portability there is to removing the optical drive? Because I simply disagree with you that my laptop (Macbook) is any LESS portable than this new Air. Do you think it's significantly more portable because it weights 3lbs to my 5lbs? Is it worth $700 more? They are even WEAKER than my Macbook, if that's possible.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I agree. Wireless optical drives are cool on paper. All the same. We are looking at a notebook designed to be ultra thin. So as a notebook its main purpose is word processing. $1,799 word processing notebook. A $1,799 word processing notebook that can't even install Microsoft Word if you bought it off any store shelf.

Its easy to see what Apple's goal was when molding this thing. And in that aspect its a awesome concept. But its ultra thin body is more of a gimmick that in the long run costs you more for less. All Apple did here was make the Notebook look good. But in result created a notebook that does less and for hundreds more then any ugly laptop. If this came with maybe the sold separately dvd drive, ethernet USB port, ect, then it be a better deal.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Please explain to me what 'added' portability there is to removing the optical drive?
I thought the whole reason this is able to be so thin was becuase it didnt have a bunch of un-needed hardware and ports on the back. If im wrong then correct me becuase I dont wanna sound ignorant (and to be fair I couldnt watch the guided tour becuase it wanted me to install stupid quicktime)

I never said I agreed on the price. I think they are asking way too much for this thing.