The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #31
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriYagami n8 View Post
HD-DVD cheap players did very well, and they were closing the gap. The trick is that the longer the battle goes on, the less money movie companies stand to make. Additionally, the PS3 did a good job of selling blu-ray movies (I suppose the lack of games helped) and was a big factor in maintaining higher blu-ray software sales despite fewer dedicated players being sold when compared to HD-DVD players.
Actually HD-DVD sales have been including the 360 add on for a while. Plus even without the 360 add on or PS3 numbers Blu-Ray has been beating HD-DVD for almost six months now.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #32
calintz
thank you based god

looks like Universal is not exclusive to HD-DVD anymore...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=20&cs=1
Quote:
Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended.
so... what exclusives are with HD-DVD now?
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #33
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
so... what exclusives are with HD-DVD now?
Nickelodeon Movies, MTV Films, DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation), and The Weinstein Company (including Dimension Films).

I think Paramount still is exclusive too. However their contract stipulates that they have an out-clause. Chances are they will soon take it.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #34
DBJAY

Here's an example of movie exec logic...

"We've typically been recession-proof," Warner Bros. Entertainment Group President Kevin Tsujihara said here in an interview at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"But the thing that we saw in the fourth quarter...was gas prices beginning to affect sales. And since we're considered an impulse purchase, it's beginning to impact us," he said.

Tsujihara said the company needed to quickly erase consumer and retailer confusion over dueling DVD formats before economic conditions deteriorated.

http://www.news.com/Economy,-DVD-sal...3-6225026.html

Given that economic conditions continue to slide (and Warner execs help creating the writers strike cost the people of LA millions of bucks, and they are laying off 1,000 people at WB - so they are helping to create a falling economy), what better way to get those numbers up than to release more expensive BR discs! I mean really, if DVD sales are sliding because they are considered too expensive to now be an impulse buy, why would releasing a more expensive product be the next logical step?

Clearly, they are viewing BR as a "premium" priced product line (even at Target, typical pricing is 29.99 for BR) and are hoping that those who have been buying BR will increase their purchasing of those discs to make up the shortfall on DVD.

Good luck with that.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #35
Reko8

I think this might be the end of HD-DVD. Microsoft announced the XBOX 360 Ultimate for this next xmas season and it was cancelled cause it was supposed to have a built in HDDVD player and now they think it will be useless now that Warner Bros left them
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #36
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY View Post
I mean really, if DVD sales are sliding because they are considered too expensive to now be an impulse buy, why would releasing a more expensive product be the next logical step?

Clearly, they are viewing BR as a "premium" priced product line (even at Target, typical pricing is 29.99 for BR) and are hoping that those who have been buying BR will increase their purchasing of those discs to make up the shortfall on DVD.

Good luck with that.
OMG Initial prices never go down.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
NES4EVER
Gibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY View Post

Good luck with that.
Um, BR's aren't overly priced compared to DVD's if you know where to buy them. I paid $22 for my Pirates3 and $24.98 RE3 off Amazon (including shipping). I paid $15 ea for Pirates 1&2 off Amazon (with free shipping). I paid $18 for RE1 at Walmart... All brand new

You know what I paid for brand new DVD's of Transformers (Kmart) & Blades of Glory (Walmart)? $19.88 each

Sure, if you wanna run out on release day to Walmart and buy a BR it's gonna cost you $5-10 more than it's DVD counterpart. I don't mind paying $5 extra and I doubt anyone would buy VHS versions anymore for $5 less than DVD versions so I don't see your real point in the price bashing.

HD format is breathing new life into the home video market IMO. It's something new to so many people. They want to see their old movies in a new way.. Now there's also another form of media to collect as well, which is the biggest reason that the home market thrives I bet.

People don't wanna own Downloaded movies. They want to have physical posession of the items they buy. I have tons of friends with enormous collections of Music CD's or DVD movies or Video Games, hell even LP's that they are very proud of and display.
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #38
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishNazi View Post
Actually HD-DVD sales have been including the 360 add on for a while. Plus even without the 360 add on or PS3 numbers Blu-Ray has been beating HD-DVD for almost six months now.
That's not what I'm saying. In fact, if you read, you'll see that I agree with you.

HD-DVD had been picking up steam, and doing quite well. Players were selling very well once they hit the 200 mark. The X-box attachment is still that, an attachment, so buying it is like buying a player (hell the price is about the same). There were a lot of PS3 adopters that don't sport HDTVs, but pick up blu-ray movies for their PS3 for the day that they do pick them up. The PS3, while not selling good for a console, was a great way to push Blu-Ray sales into a market that HD-DVD would almost never get, people without HDTVs. Because of this, despite having higher stand-alone player sales, the software sales were lower than Blu-Ray, so studios go where the movies sell. That simple. Like it or not the PS3 got people to buy blu-ray that wouldn't normally have bought anything HD related.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #39
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriYagami n8 View Post
Because of this, despite having higher stand-alone player sales, the software sales were lower than Blu-Ray, so studios go where the movies sell. That simple. Like it or not the PS3 got people to buy blu-ray that wouldn't normally have bought anything HD related.
Seems Sony's gamble paid off. Blu Ray will crush HD-DVD, partially because of the PS3.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote