The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Vista vs. XP.

http://techgage.com/article/windows_...rmance_reports

http://www17.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

Yeah MS you are so far from selling me Vista it's not even funny anymore.
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Alucard

They seriously needed to wait longer to get everything optimized with it before releasing it. Give it a year.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I blame the DRM software they put all in Vista, it would probably run fun if they didn't put that stuff in there. From what I read, the DRM are in every file in vista, no matter how small it is, so each file is double the size so you need double the ram and processor for it to read good cause it's like opening the same file twice in a row.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
AmishNazi

Nah I think what you're thinking of is the file encryption scheme that they are using. Usually make the file 125% -150% of it's original size and adds yet another process to open a file.

DRM is usually associated with copyright protected content like movies, and music. Unless you buy music online you most likely can turn that service off.

XP blew Win2K out of the water for gaming and application run times with a fresh install, this is inexcusable for MS. Especially with the Live anywhere, DX10 and other misc monopoly BS they are pulling.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
Old 02-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishNazi
Nah I think what you're thinking of is the file encryption scheme that they are using. Usually make the file 125% -150% of it's original size and adds yet another process to open a file.

DRM is usually associated with copyright protected content like movies, and music. Unless you buy music online you most likely can turn that service off.

XP blew Win2K out of the water for gaming and application run times with a fresh install, this is inexcusable for MS. Especially with the Live anywhere, DX10 and other misc monopoly BS they are pulling.

yeah that's mostly what I meant.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Alucard

One good thing so far is I havent heard any horror stories with resets/freezing/bugs/etc.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
One good thing so far is I havent heard any horror stories with resets/freezing/bugs/etc.
Thats cause people are still waiting for their computers boot up after installing Vista. Wwwww!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Vista is awesome. Don't hate!

I like to see you guys do this:

Soooooo awesome!

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

useless feature is ussssssseeeeeeeeeeeleessssssss
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:47 AM   #10
Alucard

Pretty feature!
Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Its called Expose. Macs been doing it since um..*googles* 2005. Difference between Mac and Vista is that we see if from the front view and then click on the window we want. Were in windows you have to scroll through windows to find the one you want. Or at least get a good view of the window you want. I been doing this for 2 years now so ha!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

i dont know and i dont care what vista offers, im staying with XP because it still works
Old 02-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Windows 2000 is still the best OS upgrade of all time.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
AmishNazi

Amen.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
Old 02-26-2007, 03:08 AM   #15
flowForth
Programmer

A few notes.

Firstly, testing OpenGL-based games in Vista is not a valid comparison due to the fact that Vista's default implementation of OpenGL is a simple DirectX wrapper for OGL v1.4 - this causes heavy losses (as much as 50%) in performance for OpenGL apps. Truly compatible OpenGL graphics drivers wont appear until later in the year, so tests with OpenGL games are currently meaningless and heavily skewed against Vista.

Secondly, the games tested did not use DX10 - so conclusions about DX10 being slower than DX9 are not valid. If what Microsoft are saying is true for DX10, the rendering for DX10 is several times faster than DX9's.

Thirdly, XP (or any OS for that matter) has an advantage in running software designed specifically for its own platform (which is effectively the majority of the programs tested). This applies to not only the general applications but also with the hardware drivers (which, reading from the articles, seemed incomplete). Again, XP has an advantage over Vista in this matter (the apps being optimized for earlier platforms) - since Vista has to rely on compatibility layers to run XP programs.

These tests are not definitive nor do they give the complete picture - Vista still needs to mature.