Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 08-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Rubeus

KFC's plant-based 'chicken' sold out in five hours

I don't mind trying it.

Click for full size

Quote:

KFC's plant-based 'chicken' sold out in five hours

People like Beyond Meat's alternative, apparently.

Jon Fingas, @jonfingas

There's little doubt that plant-based meat substitutes have been popular, but when's the last time they triggered the kind of frenzies associated with movie aficionados and sneaker hypebeasts? Today, apparently. Beyond Meat and KFC have revealed that their Beyond Fried Chicken test in Atlanta sold out in less than five hours on August 27th, with lines "wrapped around the restaurant" from the moment the store opened. Restaurants only have so much food to go around in general, but this was apparently no mean feat -- KFC sold as much of the meatless 'chicken' as it typically sells popcorn chicken in a week.

KFC plans to study the results of the test to decide what happens next, which could include a larger test or a full-fledged rollout. Although it didn't say what criteria would be involved, it's not necessarily a matter of looking at the lineups -- KFC likely wants signs that people liked Beyond Fried Chicken enough to come back, not just that they were willing to give it a try. The rush to track down Popeye's coveted sandwich might have helped KFC's chances by putting people in the mood for chicken, even if it's the simulated kind.

Yes, this is an opportunity for KFC and Beyond to toot their collective horn. If it does lead to an expanded rollout, though, it could represent more evidence that plant-based meat replacements have broad appeal outside of burgers. They're still far from ubiquitous at this stage, but they could soon be common enough that it's really just a question of whose meat-free meal you're eating.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/27/...icken-popular/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Beyond fried chicken probably means fried Humans. We probably are delicious.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I actually tried the Impossible burger earlier this week. Actually very impressed. Plant based meats have come a long way from just slapping soy and beans and a bunch of spices into a boca burger or whatever. If it ever cost less than meat (the burger was 16 with fried, meat was 14 with fries), I might have it more.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Just watch, someone was watching the episode of Seinfeld, where the guy's frozen yogurt promoted fat free and still tastes great but it wasn't and with these "beyond meat" items are probably just meat.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Well plant based meat is actually meat becuase they just reverse engineered meat from plants without the plants having to go through an animals digestive system to become meat.

what is really the difference between chicken fried chicken and plant fried chicken???

I really don't see what the difference is? I feel more macho and when an actual animal is slaughtered ritually and its soul captured is the soul bank for the world eaters.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

You slaughter plants instead. xD

I'm afraid that morally there is not much we can do. If we want to survive, something has to die. Of course, at least plants don't appear to have much intelligence, so we don't empathize as much.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
spider-prime

Vegans are going so insane they need pretend meat to feel normal again.