Vert1
Banned

SOR boss music...
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:22 PM   #32
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Super Famicom

The snes is one awsome sytem, it was the god of all game consoles to some, to others, no other game console can compare. My fond memories of this console go all the way back to when I was around 7 years old, we had just moved to Florida in the year of 1992 and my mom decided to get me an snes for my birhtday. Well it was 2 weeks after but man was it an awsome birthday present. I had the ass kickin' set too, the one that came with 2 controllers, the rf unit, and av cables, the snes had given me some really happy times.

Design - 9
Kinda heavy, it always made me wonder what was in it. It had a reset, power, and eject button. Smaller than the nes and two controller ports, this was a cosole made for gaming. It even had two ports for av and rf units, I took advantage of this and used them both on two tv's, side by side. So I was playing Megaman X on two screens, the av one had a better picture though.

Durability - 9
This console can take some abuse, my first snes has been stepped on, hit with wiffle bats, dropped numerous times, the first controller port was dented in and the red lcd light has blown out. Part of the ac adapter port in the back is broken and I tore off some of the plastic too. Guess what, it still works like nothing has happened. I've owned a total of four snes' the second one I got I sold and I also own a little snes as well as another original model. They all work too, and I still use old lucky till this day, even with all its battle scars. This console can take some hits, the ac adapter is the only thing that I had to replace, not once but twice in its life time. Yeah, I played my snes a lot backe then.

Games - 10
If you want the same quality of games on the snes, I suggest you look to to the ps1, saturn, and ps2 cause, those are the only places that you'll find the diversity in selection of games. Theres tons of niche titles for the snes and theres also crap loads of import games that the U.S. never got for the snes. Theres a crapload of rpg's and and action games for the snes, and it has some pretty good ports too, especially some of the fighting games on it.

Graphics - 9
Most of the games on the snes were the best looking games that I've ever seen. Chrono Trigger, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4, and Fianl Fantasy VI were some of the most visually impressive games to ever grace the snes. The games also ran at a blazing 60 fps at all times, there was slowdown on games like Final Fight 3 and Megaman X but it was always in the same spot in very few parts of these games. But these games were Just crazy with visuals, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World 2 and Castlevania 4 were some of my other favorite eyecandy games.

Sound - 10
There are just way too many awsome sounding games on the snes, some like Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country, and Castlevania 4 are some of my favorites for sound. Final Fantasy IV and VI and especially Chrono Trigger were some of the best sounding rpg's that I've played on the snes too. Its all thanks to Sony's custom built sound card for the snes, amazing my sound card on my snes hasn't blown.

Controllers - 9
I never really gave six buttons a second thought until I played a sega genesis using a six button controller. Only then did my respect for the snes get even bigger than it already was. It was definitely one of the last good controllers Nintendo ever made, it's nice that Hori has made that controller for the gcn, but it just isn't the same. The snes controller was the best controller that Nintendo ever made, too bad Nintendo doesn't see it that way.

Overall - 9.3
The snes is that damned awsome, some say its overrated. I've listed some of the snes' faults shown that it isn't perfect. This is what the snes was and if anyone feels free to get this console do so if you please. But finding everything on the snes is like trying to find Radiant Silvergun for a reasonable price. My friend was on Ebay the other day and saw Megaman X3 for over $200, the must haves are pretty rare and hella expensive.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:47 PM   #33
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nice review, but I don't know about this comment ~ "The games also ran at a blazing 60 fps at all times". I think that most SNES games ran at 30FPS. Of course, I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like 60FPS to me.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:42 PM   #34
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well when all you have to do is move a sprite or a background around the screen, then those sprites are moving and scrolling at 60fps. As for the actual animation of the sprites themselves, I think that probably topped out around 15fps on whatever the best animated game happened to be (Earthworm Jim?). There just wasn't enough memory to do more animation than that, but all of the scrolling, scaling, and rotation was usually at 60fps.

I like the SNES as well, but when I think of it, I think "slow" because many of it's celebrated games were RPGs, and RPGs bore me to tears. It did have a few action games, some of them actually good, like Casstlevania IV (best game on the system by leaps and bounds), Contra III (simply awesome), Axelay (one of the few games that makes overhead and horizontal levels work within the same game, though it is kind of slow), F-Zero, Pilotwings, Super Mario World (Which proved that graphics don't have to be good for a great game. Yoshi Island or whatever it's called doesn't count due to the constantly whining Mario baby. This alone makes the game completely unplayable and is a deal-breaker for me), Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and others. Final Fight was good on the system, but the Sega CD version kicked the ass of every Final Fight game on the SNES combined. Hell, it was better than any beat'em up on the SNES. And Streets of Rage 1 and 2 were even better than that!

I am not and never was fond of the graphics style of Donkey Kong Country. That game holds up about as well as Crash Bandicoot... unplayable today.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #35
gearhound
Versus the World

the SNES is the god of all console gaming
Old 11-08-2004, 12:13 AM   #36
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

15 years ago, Capcom released the fighting games known as Street Fighter, 15 years later we await Capcom Fighting Evolution. This collection is composed of the Hyper Street Fighter 2 arcade game released just last year and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. For six games it isn't that much of a big collection, but it is still worth the $29.99 price tag. This review is also reviewing two games instead of one, so in short, two scores.

Graphics - HSF2 8/ SF3:TS 10
The graphics for HSF2 are superb, thier arcade perfect in every way too. When you select an older version of a certain character, that character has different animations, depending on if you picked an older or newer version. Picking Ryu from SF2 will get you the old hadoken with the hands while if you pick the SSF2 or SSF2T Ryu, you get the new spiffy looking hadoken, and of course new animations. Your characters avatar is also effected by the style you pick, so you can see how the artwork has changed each game. The western art style is also a plus since its one of the very few western looking fighting games that were any good, actually I think its the only one. SF3:TS is again, arcade perfect, the animations are nice and fluent, very proportionate and they pay a lot of attention to anatomy. They almost look prerendered thier so good, however, one of Elana's win poses looks so animated that I think it was actually prerendered. Both games support anti aliasing but you can only turn it off in SF3:TS, I turned the anti aliasing off on TS as it makes the game look a lot better.

Sound - HSF2 10/ SFIII:TS 10
Your favorite tunes also return in HSF2, as well as the arranged tracks featured in the arcade version. But thats not all, they give you the option to choose and listen to the CPS1, CPS2, and arranged tracks. With that, depending on which version of the character you pick in HSF2, you'll get thier different voice sets. Like announcer Guile in SSF2 or the deep voice Guile in the older SF2's. SF3:TS also gives you the option of choosing between two different versions of the ost. You can choose the original one or the arranged one which came out on the dc and later arcade version. My favorite is tied between the Cicuit(Hugo's Stage) and You Blow my Mind(Dudley's Stage), I love this games' ost.

Gameplay - HSF2 8/ SFIII:TS 9
Okay, here are some good and bad things about HSF2's gameplay. Its nice that you get to pick all the different styles, but if you pick a style lower than SSF2, your limited to the first twelve. Thats not all, if you pick a style lower than champion then your stuck with the original eight. The other thing is that it's also a luxury and all the bugs that were exploited in the older games like Ryu's red hadoken and the Guile handcuffs, have been taken out. The AI is also relentless and almost impossible to beat on just the normal difficulty. The game is actually pretty much broken in arcade mode, the AI has higher strength and defenses along with even more priority in thier attacks. So prepare to get your ass kicked, I've been able to get to the fourth guy without losing a round on eight stars(one star really makes no difference). Other than that, the ability to play with any character from alll the SF2's is great. Its really awsome playing with your buddies too, this truly was the 'Soul Calibur 2' back in the day.

Third Strike, however, fixed the many problems that its predessesscor had and then some. TS in this collection is actually more arcade perfect than the dc version. It's based off the second arcade version of TS which came out shortly after the dc version. This one fixed bugs in the older version as well as giving it new additions, faster gameplay, and the ability to switch between the old and new version. Q also says nothing like in the arcade, while in the dc version they actually gave him some lines. You also have a new super art and parry system in this game, parrying is definitely the key here in this game, theres no way that you can beat this game on anything past 5 stars unless you know how to parry.

To parry, right before you get hit push forward, its almost like the parry system in Mark of the Wolves but you get no life back, and its a lot more strict. The super art system is also key to the way you play as well, you have three different super arts to choose from, and whichever one you pick determines how many levels you get(the max is three), and what attack you do. All I have to say is that Geneijin comes in handy for Yun, it's basically Vism, but only Yun has it and its a level one super, this is one of the reasons that he's #3 in the top ranked characters, #2 is Ken and #1 is Chun Li. What you guys thought Ryu was the big chease? Also, the only returning characters are Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, and Akuma, everyone else is brand spankin' new. Alex also replaces Ryu as the main character and his rival is none other than Hugo, the boss, Gill, also only has one guard dog this time, Urien. Gill also wins the award for cheapest boss, he's just nearly impossible on anything past four stars, and if you beat him while he has a full super meter, he'll revive himself. In the end this game is indeed very fun and you'll enjoy this one maybe even more than HSF2.

Balance - HSF2 5/ SFIII:TS 8
Capcom had no shame in the balancing of HSF2, but in TS, balance is everywhere. There are some things that piss me off in TS though. Chun Li has the most priority on all of her attacks, which is the reason for her being top of the top tier. While the other cast has to be worked with for complete versatility, good Ryu and Ken players ain't **** against TS Chun Li. The characters and thier profiles are pretty true, as Sean is weak as hell, and Chun Li really is the strongest woman in the world, Alex really is fast and amazingly powerful and Q is a cyborg that even Master Chief should fear. In short, the characers that really do live up to thier names and thankfully the bottom of the barrel isn't that bad to be totallly alienated from the rest of the game.

Replay - HSF2 8/ SFIII:TS 9
I don't reccomend playing this game alone unless your practicing, you might just break your controller, a wall, or something else playing HSF2's arcade mode. But rest assured since TS isn't as evil and the most fun is playing with friends, too bad this didn't have an online mode but then again you could always buy this on xbox.

Overall - HSF2 7.8/ SFIII:TS 9.2
Really awsome games and for $30, its well worth it. All fighting game fans should play both these games and thank Capcom for setting the standard for awsome fighting games.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:15 AM   #37
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Unlike the Dreamcast version, this incarnation of SFIII~TS has spot-on animation frame for frame, and the characters are all huge. I already owned the SF animated movie from when it first came out all those years ago (the subtitled version), so it was much to my dismay to hear the crappy English version presented here. Also, the video quality, well, it just sucks. But hey, fans don't care--$20 for arcade perfect titles and a little extra on the side.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:19 AM   #38
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The characters weren't all huge in the Dreamcast version? I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever between the DC and PS2 versions of SF3:TS. Both games run in extremely low resolution.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:26 AM   #39
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

The characters in the PS2 version are bigger on the screen. Least, they were on mine. It was obvious--I noticed it immediately.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:44 AM   #40
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
The characters in the PS2 version are bigger on the screen. Least, they were on mine. It was obvious--I noticed it immediately.
Icarus, you prefer Capcom characters over SNK, true?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:00 AM   #41
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Characters are the exact same size. I just did video captures from both the Dreamcast and the PS2 versions. Let's compare:

Playstation 2 version:

Sega Dreamcast version:

Here we see DC Ryu superimposed over the PS2 screen.
No scaling has been done.
The transparent one is the DC Ryu.

They be da same, yo. I think both versions let you adjust the size of your screen. Maybe you had one of them set up differently than the other?

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-08-2004 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:15 AM   #42
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Perhaps. When my brother brought the PS2 version over for me to try, the characters were noticeably larger on the screen than when playing the DC version. I don't have an explanation. I'd have to borrow it again and check it out to see if it has something to do with some option setting or something else.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 AM   #43
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Look forward to my Ranger-X, Bare Knuckle 3, and Thunder Force 4 review in the very near future. I've also been trying to review Contra: Shattered Soldier, but I haven't even managed to play through half the damn game cause it's so hard. Nice to see that there are a few SF fans here, I also havent really watched the movie yet, nor do I intend to, I do know that the movie is edited though. Now Capcom needs to make a Street Fighter Zero/Alpha collection.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 PM   #44
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Ranger-X

This is a game that I played back in the day, and man was it awsome. One of my old friends borrowed this game from his dad for awhile, we played the hell out of it. Sadly we were never able to beat it. However, thanks to my developed gaming skillages today, I was able to overcome this weakness known as the hard difficulty. Ranger-X or Ex-Ranza in Japan, is a 2d side scrolling action shooter, you pilot this giant robot through 6 stages of totally awsome shooting action. Each stage has you take out these weird generator machine thingys, some stages have 6 others have 8, etc. After that, its onward to fight the boss of each respective stage. Now, onward with the review.

Graphics - 8
Theres a bunch of stuff going on all at once, there are things exploding, moving, or shooting at you at all times and there really isn't any slowdown. The sprites in the game have an amazing amount of animations, when Ranger-X turns to the left, he literally turns to the left and vice versa. You also have either a little ship thingy or a one wheeled motorcycle that will automatically follow you too. So as I've said before, theres a bunch of stuff going on and it all just happens to not get in the way. The mission objectives at the beginning of each stage are also shown in wire frame 3d.

Sound - 8
This game has one of the best ost's that I've ever heard. The first stage will leave you humming the tune all day long. They all fit the environments that your in and the sound effects when blowing stuff up along with the sounds of bullets hitting metal is wierd, but definitely gets the point across.

Gameplay - 10
What can I say, the gameplay is awsome, this game uses both six and three button controllers. You can use R-X's left shot to turn and shoot left, and vice versa with the right shot, you can also control your vehicles to either accellerate or back up and even make it shoot. With the ride armor, you also have the ability to either stand on and ride the motorcyle or the ship or fuse with them and wreak havoc. When standing on the motorcyle, you will can shoot with the bike, R-X, or both, and when fused together, shoot homing shots, you can also jump by holding downfor a set amount of time. With the ship, you can heal yoursel, this of course takes up energy, not life. Special weapons can also be used by R-X and you start with a wave grenade and flame thrower, but as you progress through the game you'll find hidden weapons. They can only be switched while fused with the vehicles though, and again, the special weapons also take up energy. The only way to get energy is by standing in the sunlight. There are also power stations that heal you when in levels where you can't use your ship and mini powerstations which of course serve the same purpose, they can't be used more than once though.

Once again using the powerstations will drain you of your energy, and in later levels you will need to learn how to use your energy since recharging can be a little hard to do. You can also fly by pressing up, you have a meter and when it hits red, you'll lose altitude, so use your booster wisely, thankfully it quickly fills up when you touch the ground. Now in each stage your given a mission to take out a certain amount of generators, after that, you'll fight a boss. In the end the game sounds easy but, it provides a pretty awsome difficulty, especially on Heavy.

Innovation - 10
Yes innovation, the word that has been abused by Nintendo fanboys around the world. This game is very innovative, with sophisticated controls and concepts on how to handle your machine's energy, and giving a good feel of what it's like to pilot a giant robot is definitely something. The way light is used in this game makes the creator of Boktai look stupid imo, since there isn't a light sensor in this game and it was made in '93.

Replay - 6
I loved this game, but after beating it, I felt like I had just beat Brave Fencer Musashi. This is definitely a seasonal or monthly game, as you wont want to play it again right away, but it would suck if you wanted to play it and you didn't have it anymore.

Overall - 8.4
If you have not played Ranger-X, I suggest you get on ebay and hunt it down. It's a great game that not many have played, definitely one of the best in my genesis collection.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:13 AM   #45
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories

Many have played Pokemon and it was so awsome that it got a vard gamem this card game was later made on the gbc, and it ruled. Then Capcom did the same with Megaman Battle Network, now this may be a different series of its own but the games just arent that good. Konami has done the same with MGS and that is still very unpredictable. So what makes KH:CoM so different from all the other card games on handhelds, lets find out.

Story - 7
This game takes place after the first game and before the third game, that means the somebody's gonna get spoiled, so read at your own risk. After Sora, Goofy and Donald defeated Ansem and the Heartles in the first KH, Sora and pals begin chasing Pluto for the letter than he has in his mouth. It fastforwards to a scene where Sora wakes up and theres a hooded guy standing behind him. He tells Sora that he's searching for something, but in order to find it, he has to lose something dear. Then Sora finds himself at the path to Castle Oblivion, the hooded guy shows up again and gives him a card resembling Traverse Town, then the side story begins.

Graphics - 8
It's quite surprising that SE managed to put an fmv using the original KH's game engine on the gba. The fmv at the beginning looked pretty good and theres actually quite a few fmv effects in the game, if anyone has played Grandia 2, then they'll know what I'm talking about. The game also captures the image of the original KH cast in very high detailed sprites. The animations are pretty good and have a decent amount of frames, and spell effects are awsome. I'm also amazed at how well the gba handles this game, theres a lot of high quality animation going on especially in battles, yet there isn't any slowdown.

Sound - 9
What the hell, this game has sound, the music stayes very true to the first game and the sound effects are dead on. The sound quality is like the sound quality FFTA and Fire Emblem, awsome and a little freaky that it is that good. The sound effects that were in KH for the ps2 can also be found here, its just that damned good.

Gameplay - 8
This is what usually makes or breaks a game, and in KH:CoM's case, it gladly makes the game. This game is a card battle/action rpg/dungeon crawler, yes, this game takes all of those characteristics and combines them for one awsoem game. The cards are from your deck, duh, you start with 15 cards and can make up to three decks. Each deck can have up to 99 cards, but you can't add anymore cards until you level up and increase your CP. I never looked at my original CP so I can't say what I had at the start, but CP is used up by how much the card in your deck takes up. So depending on what cards you put in your deck determines the max amount of cards you can have in your deck. Your attacks are also limited by the amount of cards you have in your deck, and you can't attack, heal, or defend without any cards either. Your cards also have a number, if the enemies card number is higher than yours, then your card becomes useless, and vice versa. When you run out of cards you can reshuffle your deck by holding down a button on the card shilouette, the charge time can go up to 3 seconds depending on how many times you've already shuffled. You can also set up to three cards for an attack using L+R, then hitting them again to release the attack. You can also cycle through your cards by hittling L or R, and roll by double tapping left or right. As of right now the game sounds like Megaman Battle Network, thats because it is, then it isn't. You have complete freedom of movement on the battlefield, but you can't attack without cards. You still have a limited area in battles though, and your not sent on stupid fetch quests that make you backtrack all the way across one part of the game to another.

For the action in the title, there really is a lot more action involved, its pretty much the first game, you just need cards. The action is still as fast paced as the first game. As for the dungeon crawler part, it is, you start in Traverse Town, but after clearing it, you get to choose another world. I picked Wonderland for my second world, I'm going in the order that I did in the first game but it looks like theres no Deep Jungle so I'll have to skip straight to Agrabah. Anyways, those worlds that you pick after finishing the world you were just in, are counted as floors. You basically go through each and every world until you get to the top floor of Castle Oblivion. Within those worlds, you have rooms, and those rooms are generated by 'room syntesis.' You basically hit a closed door and it'll ask for a card, you give the door the desired card and you will continue to the next room, some rooms will have enemies in them so you can simply use something like a sleep card and put all enemies to sleep in a room. Then when you go into that room you can avoid all the battles or whack an enemy on the head and get a preimptive attack on the battle, just like in Valkyrie Profile. You also have the ability to jump and swing your keyblade freely when out of battle.

Innovation - 8
They took the original KH, the battle system of Megaman Battle Network, and card battle rpg's and elaborated on them. They did it well too, since your put under the illusion that this game is an action rpg and it isn't and your put under the illusion that it's a card game, and you'll probably miss that it's a dungeon crawler.

Replay - 9
It's a gba game, of course theres tons of replay value. This is a good dungeon crawler and makes for a good marathon playtrough when waiting for KH2, and I will be waiting for that game.

Overall - 8.2
It's a great game, buy it if your a fan, if you havent played KH or your collecter, I also reccomend this game. If your an idiot who can't get past the fact that this game has Disney characters than you of course are not going to like this game. Other than that, play Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories, and have fun.