The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 AM   #61
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Have you guys played Silpheed The Lost Planet on the PS2. It's another 2D shooter I believe it's devolved by Treasure and it's published from Working Designs. I didn't get really into it but I didn't got far enough on it either.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:56 AM   #62
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, i played that for a little while. i didn't think it was fantastic, but i enjoyed it for a little while. i don't own it, though.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #63
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

here is a game i bet nobody has played. Elemental Gearbolt on PS1. It is a shooter (with the gun) developed by working design. man that game was so hard, but the music was awesome.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:22 AM   #64
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It wasn't developed by Working Designs. They don't program the games that they release. Elemental Gearbolt was programmed by Alpha System, a wing of Taito. I saw a videotape of my friend playing it, and yeah, the music is pretty good.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #65
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, i played it. i bought it a few years ago, but like an idiot i traded it in. wtf is wrong with me?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #66
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I recently traded in some games, but I KNOW I'll never miss them. I got rid of:

Grand Turdismo 3
Super Mario Sunshine
Chronicles o' Riddick
Toca Race Driver 2
Medal of Honor Frontline

Yuck!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:31 PM   #67
gearhound
Versus the World

The best 3-D action game this generation.

Here is your gift from the gaming gods.

Ninja Gaiden
System: Xbox
Developer: Tecmo/Team Ninja
Publisher: Tecmo
Release: March 2004

Overview
When Ninja Gaiden landed on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1989, it set the tone for cinematic action gaming for the console; it was the first of its kind. Sure, it was nothing like the arcade (you would have to get an Atari Lynx for that, but it was not a perfect conversion) but that isn?t a bad thing. Tecmo re-created Ninja Gaiden as a side scrolling action fest that was fast and very fun to play. The last Gaiden game to hit the NES was in 1991; that was Ninja Gaiden 3. Fast forward to 2004 ? Team Ninja releases Ninja Gaiden on the XBOX, and what they have graced us with is one of the greatest 3D action/adventure games this generation. Prepare to get your butt kicked.

Story: 8.5/10
Ah, yes ? the lovely dark dragon blade. Rumor has it that this blade was carved from the bones of a black dragon. Whomever is lucky enough to wield this blade inherits the evil and hatred of mankind and is transformed into the devil incarnate. However, nobody knows the true extent of the blade?s power. It has been sealed by those of the dragon lineage since ancient times. Ryu Hayabusa is back and this time his clan has been wiped out by the evil Vigoor Empire. Ryu must once again wield the dragon sword (not to be confused with the dark dragon blade) and ultimately destroy his enemies. Ninja Gaiden is filled with intriguing characters and memorable moments, and the plot is surely going to keep you hooked until the incredibly climatic ending.

Gameplay: 10/10
This is what makes Ninja Gaiden so amazing. Ryu moves incredibly fast, and the controls and animation will leave you breathless. Ryu looks amazing in action. All of his moves are a sight to behold and are performed with ease. Multiple weapons including nunchukus, warhammers and massive swords are at your disposal. Each enemy you kill releases essence (red, yellow and blue), or souls, that you can absorb that will allow you to heal, increase your magic, or unlock new moves by tempering your weapons. Magic is very flashy and pretty, yet very powerful, and can be leveled up by collecting special jewels. The camera is incredible and pits you directly in the action. However, some areas in the game create minor problems, but these are avoidable. Pressing the R button sets the camera directly in front of Ryu. This allows for precise camera control and the ability to turn and face enemies behind you in an instant. Ryu can hang, run up/along walls, walk on water, swim, and much more. The bosses are simply astonishing and beyond belief. It?s unbelievable because these bosses make Ryu look so pathetic yet he slowly pulls out his sword, ready to carve and cleave. Ryu is fearless. Be warned ?Ninja Gaiden will give you a stupendous challenge and will test your nerves.

Graphics: 10/10
Ninja Gaiden is stunning. The levels are so huge and varied it never gets dull. You simply must experience this game to believe it. The bosses are ridiculous in size and sport amazing detail. All of the bosses, level and enemy designs are excellent. This game is an absolute feast for your eyes. Do you really want to know how powerful your XBOX is? Play Ninja Gaiden. Start out in Ryu?s village and work your way through huge cities, caves, an ice and fire palace, and much more. Ninja Gaiden is loaded with variety. The cut scenes are magnificent and tell the story intensely.

Sound: 9/10
Get ready for an audio explosion brought to you in true 5.1 Dolby Digital. The music in Ninja Gaiden, for the most part, is very remarkable and adds to the atmosphere throughout the game. Some of the tracks are forgettable and somewhat average, but most of it is quite memorable. Weapon effects and such are well done, adding to the overall pleasing audio experience.

Overall Experience: 10/10
What is there really left to say? Team Ninja has outdone themselves. If you want an overwhelming action experience you must play this game. Ninja Gaiden has revamped the 3D action game and set a new standard that has yet to be surpassed. So go ahead and load this puppy up and prepare for an unforgettable experience that will certainly give you chills and make you say, "Wow." Ninja Gaiden is not for pussy gamers. If you're a pussy gamer who likes to bitch and whine about the difficulty or camera, go jump off a cliff instead of playing this masterpiece. Ninja Gaiden will rock your balls off and then some.

Final Score: 9.5/10

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 06:09 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:40 AM   #68
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yeah. Ninja Gaiden is kick-ass from start to finish. I can't wait for the sequel.

gearhound ~ "Sure, it was nothing like the arcade ? you would have to get an Atari Lynx for that..."

The Atari Lynx game was a sucky version of a sucky arcade game. Yes, it's true -- I can't stand the NG arcade. It's downright evil.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:12 AM   #69
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Get ready for an audio explosion brought to you in true 5.1 Dolby Digital.
There is no "audio explosion" in this game, that's for sure. The most aggresive the soundtrack seems to get is the Team Ninja logo at the beginning of the game (where you are flying over water and then mountains appear out of NOWHERE to reveal the Team Ninja graphic).

I hated the NES versions of Ninja Gaiden. They did not play intuitively. I would jump on a wall but I could not climb up or down like you can in real games. I was stuck! Couldn't move! Every time. Now I know you could jump back off, but it was far from intuitive. Tecmo pretty much sucks ass, methinks.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #70
gearhound
Versus the World

i beg to differ. NG does have a good soundtrack the boss music was pretty intense.

yes, icarus, i remember playing the arcade -- i have played it on mame also -- and it was very hard. i didn't play it for very long.

i love the ninja gaiden games on the NES. you have to be fast, joe... and good. freakin' awesome music for all three of them, too.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:40 PM   #71
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I didn't mention anything about the music. Just the sound overall. I don't recall the subwoofer being used for anything but the Team Ninja logo. It's been awhile since I played Ninja Gaiden, but if the 5.1 was anything like the 5.1 in DoA3, then it was poor. DoA3 had voices switching from the front to the surrounds (very quietly in the surrounds at that) in conversation scenes and it was poorly done. I don't recall any of the dialog in NG being mixed to the surrounds, though. And if they were, they were actually audible. I'll have to listen again.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:30 PM   #72
gearhound
Versus the World

i was just refering to the music
Old 04-24-2005, 11:56 PM   #73
gearhound
Versus the World

Lets play some Megaman... good Megaman.

A solid Megaman adventure.

Megaman X8
System: Playstation 2
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Release: December 2004

Overview
Megaman sure has been around for a very long time. Capcom has shoveled more Megaman titles in our faces than we care to handle. At least, for the most part, they have been fairly good. But we are talking about the infamous X series, which has identical gameplay with a bit more emphasis on locating power-ups and armor. The last truly great X game was Megaman X4 on the original Playstation. The X games on the Super Nintendo were also fantastic, but after the release of X4, Capcom has turned the series into mediocrity. This doesn?t apply to Megaman X8 -- Capcom has somewhat redeemed the series. After the completely unexceptional Megaman X7, I figured Capcom had ruined the series with their pathetic attempts to turn a great 2D game into a blatant, smelly 3D turd that desired to be good, but fell on its face -- its uninspiring 3D mechanics and really bad 2D gameplay with 3D backgrounds certainly didn?t help. Megaman X8 is a much better game than X7, and probably the best X game since Megaman X4.

Story: 7/10
Constant war between the humans and reploids has forced the remaining human population on an exodus to space. This is made possible by a massive elevator called ?Jakob.? A base is being constructed on the moon by a race of ?new generation? reploids who have found a way to copy the DNA of Sigma, who was thought to have been destroyed (yeah, right). Well, you better give Megaman, Zero and Axl a call because they are the only ones who can stop these renegade reploids from taking over the world. Don?t expect dramatic story telling here ? it?s Megaman after all.

Gamplay: 8.5/10
Let me say right now that the 2D gameplay in X8 completely shatters that of X7. Better gameplay makes for a better game. There is plenty to do in Megaman X8. For starters, you can collect bolts that allow you to purchase upgrades as well as new weapons. You can also collect rare metals and manufacture them into weapons, power ups, or ability enhancements. Each mission has an intermission where you are given a specific objective and an opportunity to gain more money (bolts), which is a nice addition. Like all previous X games, Megaman can locate capsules from Dr. Light that give him new armor and buster upgrades that can be equipped during the character selection screen. You can play as Megaman, Zero, or Axl. You can only choose two at a time, but you can switch characters by hitting L2 during the game. You can also choose a leader to give you hints and advice on bosses and secrets. Team attacks can be performed when your meter is full by pressing R2. The bosses are pretty decent and have cool attacks and patterns, but the names of the bosses are so lame it hurts. I mean, come on! What is an Earthrock Trilobite? Or better yet, what the heck is a Gigavolt Man-o-War? Capcom, where do you come up with these stupid names? Yes, you can acquire boss weapons upon their defeat all of which are put to good use and are cool as well. Anyway, the gameplay is good, but not as tight as the 2D sprite-based titles ? it seems a bit loose.

Graphics: 8/10
What we have here is 2D gameplay with 3D backgrounds. All of the enemies and characters are in 3D. Sadly, the 2D sprites have been replaced with 3D models. Not that the models look bad, they just aren't too detailed. The levels are a blast, but frustrating because Capcom has decided to lay spikes that kill you in one hit all throughout the game. Sometimes you have to slide down walls in order to notice them. If you don?t and end up jumping off a platform unaware of what lies below, you will die. X8 is loaded with great platforming and level design. Everything is 2D with the exception of a flying and a driving level both of which are mediocre. Most of the difficult platforming involves evading spikes. Imagine that. Megaman X8 is not an easy game, but it certainly isn't the most difficult X title.

Music: 8/10
Besides the grunts, cries and yells of the characters, you get some decent music. Nothing compares to the amazing sounds of Megaman X-X4 though. But X8 does have a few good tracks to jam to while you?re jumping, blasting the enemy, and throwing your controller because of the seemingly cheap, yet avoidable deaths (spikes anyone?) that plague the game.

Overall Experience: 8.5/10
Well, X8 certainly doesn?t suck, but it?s a far cry from an excellent 2D Megaman title. If you love Megaman, and I certainly do, you should give Megaman X8 a shot ? it is a very rewarding game.

Rating: 8/10

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 06:09 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:24 AM   #74
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Geez they already have 8 of those things? Mega Man needs to retire. He appeals to me no more. Mega Man 2 was the pinnacle.

Gearhound do you think Burnout 3 has better graphics than Out Run 2?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:45 AM   #75
gearhound
Versus the World

JOE, i have been dying to play burnout 3. i played the first one and didn't think it was anything special. i can't really say until i actually play burnout 3. do you think burnout 3 has better graphics that outrun 2?