The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Rubeus

Western version of Final Fantasy X-2 requires the cart on Switch for physical edition

So it's a way to force people to ditch the physical version and get the digital release.

Click for full size

Quote:
Apparently, the western version of Final Fantasy X-2 requires the cart on Switch even though it's a separate download

Anti trade-in?

Remember Project 10 Dollar/online passes, circa 2010?

They were a draconian concept primarily adopted by EA, Sony, and WB (among others) that would provide a content code (or strip something crucial out to sell as a bonus) for new copies. The idea was to fight the used game industry, but thanks to a bunch of people speaking out against it ("many players didn't respond to the format" is the phrase EA VP of Global Communications John Reseburg used in 2013) and the rise of digital sales, it pretty much died.

Well this instance isn't quite Project 10 Dollar, but it's giving off the same vibes. To recap, if you buy Final Fantasy X/X-2 on Switch as an Asia-region physical purchase, it'll contain both games on the same cart with multiple languages. Done. In the west, only X is on the cart: X-2 is a download. Now that the apocalypse is finally here, people are contending that the situation is even worse than we thought.

What Square Enix has seemingly done is tie Final Fantasy X and X-2 together as one download, with the latter serving as what is basically DLC for the former. Meaning, even if you redeem the X-2 download code packed into the western edition of the physical version, you still need the game cart to play it. If you trade it in, you can't boot up the downloaded X-2.

Nintendo has proven that it is possible to not make individual games so co-dependent on Switch. Bayonetta 1 was offered as a download in a package deal with Bayonetta 2, and was able to function even without the cart. Nintendo also provided the ability to play the Torna expansion for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as a standalone experience with a physical release.

This is just another reason why you should import X/X-2 on Switch and avoid two egregious missteps.

https://www.destructoid.com/apparent...d-551040.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Switch is such bullshit. They should just make bigger carts. Cheap bastards.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
lol cause they know people will trade in the games cause FFX games are fucking horrible.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Switch is such bullshit. They should just make bigger carts. Cheap bastards.
The Asian version has both games on the same cart. In English too, so this is an import or don't bother situation.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 AM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yah, I would have done that with bayonetta 2 from Japan, but it sold out pretty fast, cause the first game has it's own cart over there.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote