The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #16
darren
... lol

no your getting ahead of yourself .. an IT degree is a really good foot in the door for a good job IMO, once you start work the learning starts again on how industry works and what we use do to stuff etc etc. You will basically be starting the learning process again from the beginning. But that's no big deal. The degree to me when interviewing a grad is means that have the ability to learn, and an interest in IT nothing more tbh ..

Things change way to fast in IT for Universities etc, to keep up, they are usually teaching languages and methods that are 2-3 years out of date., espesically when it comes to programming languages, as the flavour of the month changes very fast. However if you can do one very well there's no reason that you can't learn other quite quickly. And the difference between what is expected between University quality coding and industry quality code is quite something tbh

What you will see in IT adverts a lot now as the requirement is a degree or 'x' number of years of industry experience. Personally given the choice i'd take someone with no degree and loads of experience any day .. But IT is one of those funny fields when you can get away with out a degree if you have a tone of experience.

You will be horrified how many grads i have had work for me that leave Uni that actually think what they have been taught is what industry is doing right now, and hate idea of having to learn all over again ..

To learn a language now and think it will be used in 2-3 years is hoping tbh .. it might it might not .. It would have evolved or have been replaced .. but as long as you can show clear understanding of what has been used previously in industry you will be fine ..

Are you scrwewed?? no far from it you will have a degree in IT, which show you have the capability to learn .. so as long as when you graduate you are aware that industry is way different and don't go telling employers at interview that they should be doing things the way you were taught at uni (you will be amazed how many grads tell me this) you will be more than fine mate.

on a side note once you are working, you will find the best jobs are not advertised, people approach people with the skill they want etc .. get your profile once working on sites liked linkedin.com and xing.com companies look on sites like these for IT people with the skills they want before they advertise quite a lot now.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 08-30-2009 at 02:22 AM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #17
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Yeah, when i was at a former job, one of my co-workers got hired at firedog (circuit city's version of geek squad) and they hired him even though he had no degrees or certs, just based on experience. The problem is a lot of places aren't like that and actually require a degree regardless if have more experience than some of the ppl who have degrees and certs.

I haven't got entirely much experience in networking, but that's what I plan to make my main focus as before and after i get my cert so this way I can have good experience plus at least have that title of saying i am certified instead of seeming like some back-alley hire.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #18
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Finally got my books in to study for the test. I may order more if need be, but i paid only $58 (with shipping) which is not bad at all, and the books are in new condition.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Thats good stuff man. I think I might actually pick up a or download a book or two just to get some kind of foot in the door.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I'd prefer to have the book than to download it because in books i just highlight the important areas and memories them better. If i download i'll keep a notebook with me. But yeah if you can get ur foot in the door would be good. if ur "Location: riverside" is correct then you should have no problem getting a job. Although from what I've read there's more jobs for it in the north west part of cali and gradually goes down as it goes south.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #21
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah since I moved back home job market is horrible. I would more likely move back to LA.

Zechin
Old 09-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #22
Seraph
>:3

MK unless you have some actual cisco hardware available to you to practice with it's going to be hard.

I persued a CCNA for about a year. Took the classes at school and after playing with it long enough I realized it wasn't what I wanted to specialize in. Because at that point I figured that cert would only get my foot in the door to employers who had cisco hardware.

I finally decided Microsoft certs were more up my alley and have much broader application in the business world.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #23
darren
... lol

meh!!! for 58 you can get all you need to practice/study with

MK, i would get this over the books TBH .. it comes with all you need plus pdfs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-Mini-CCN...#ht_3401wt_941

If you go down the virtualization/automation path (which is where theres a massive amount of interest and jobs) ..

torrent VMware workstation 6.5.2 and install / play
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 09-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #24
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
MK unless you have some actual cisco hardware available to you to practice with it's going to be hard.

I persued a CCNA for about a year. Took the classes at school and after playing with it long enough I realized it wasn't what I wanted to specialize in. Because at that point I figured that cert would only get my foot in the door to employers who had cisco hardware.

I finally decided Microsoft certs were more up my alley and have much broader application in the business world.
Right now I have a router simulator, and i already know it's very limited, but I'm using in the mean time until I either decide to buy some hardware to tinker with or rent out some lab time. Besides, CCNA is just the foot in the door, there's higher certs than that (ie: ccnp), and I really don't plan to just stop at ccna. There's a few ppl around here that I know who are certified in cisco and they're making very good money. They started at the bottom like everyone else, just worked their way up and in the end it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
meh!!! for 58 you can get all you need to practice/study with

MK, i would get this over the books TBH .. it comes with all you need plus pdfs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-Mini-CCN...#ht_3401wt_941

If you go down the virtualization/automation path (which is where theres a massive amount of interest and jobs) ..

torrent VMware workstation 6.5.2 and install / play

Thing is I don't think I'll be doing the whole vm thing. It seems interesting, but I'm more interested in networking.

I may buy that router switch lab if I get the chance, but quick question though, that's ebay.uk, if i make a regular ebay.com account would i still be able to buy from there?

Edit:
I forgot i still have an ebay account (apparently) and going to the .uk one doesn't let me use my regular one, however I did find the exact same thing on .com and it's from the same company. Apparently 58 = $94. Unfortunately it won't let me ship to the US. France, Germany, Ireland and UK are the only places it'll ship to.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #25
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionetteKazuk View Post
Right now I have a router simulator, and i already know it's very limited, but I'm using in the mean time until I either decide to buy some hardware to tinker with or rent out some lab time. Besides, CCNA is just the foot in the door, there's higher certs than that (ie: ccnp), and I really don't plan to just stop at ccna. There's a few ppl around here that I know who are certified in cisco and they're making very good money. They started at the bottom like everyone else, just worked their way up and in the end it was worth it.

Thing is I don't think I'll be doing the whole vm thing. It seems interesting, but I'm more interested in networking.

I may buy that router switch lab if I get the chance, but quick question though, that's ebay.uk, if i make a regular ebay.com account would i still be able to buy from there?

Edit:
I forgot i still have an ebay account (apparently) and going to the .uk one doesn't let me use my regular one, however I did find the exact same thing on .com and it's from the same company. Apparently 58 = $94. Unfortunately it won't let me ship to the US. France, Germany, Ireland and UK are the only places it'll ship to.
all i did was ebay search for cisco to find that .. is there anyone else with them? as tbh i'm not sure donig ccna is worth it without some cheap kit to play with, well for me i needed it anyway .. i hate learning from books ..

what would be VERY usuful is doing at least the ITILv3 foundation cert, people who can tie up high quality IT skill with process/best practice well are always in demand .. as they are still few and far between in a lot of places. The US with regards to international best practice is still a few years behind for some reason so its still quite hard to find people in the us with IT and ITIL (spent ages interviewing/rejecting cvs for some people in Dallas to do some work for the company i work for to find this out ..lol) .. So if you have both you would be putting big old boot in the door and not just a small foot .. lol

if you have time do the managers cert for v3 . howwever i will say as someone that marks the papers in the UK the exams are a shit .. lol .. but worth their weight in gold mate
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #26
Chronos
fuggit

They were offering free Cisco certification in my HS, but you had to apply for it and have good grades, etc, and you lost all your other electives. Wasn't something I was into at the time, but the kids that participated stuck with it (that I know) and are doing well now.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Yeah, some kid at work told me his hs did that to. It was "free" but he just had to pay the book rental fees. I still think that was a pretty good deal. They didn't have it when i was in HS or at least never heard about it.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #28
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

So give me a run down. Are you taking a class on this, or are you going to teach yourself then take whatever test that is required for certification?

Zechin
Old 09-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #29
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I'm teaching myself. If I feel the need to I'll take the classes, but If it's possible to learn on my own I'll do it (since classes cost money, i'm trying to save as much as I can).
Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Cool. Keep me posted, tell me how it goes. I might do that on the side of my current school. Just to get my feet wet.

Zechin