Review something fun. Something everyone in da world has played. checkers ^_^

Well alot of people.
"we'll take the box"
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #47
Alexander
I speak with codes.

The Curse of Monkey Island

The dread pirate Le Chuck looks cooler without the flaming beard. I think it game out in '97 or '99. I'm leaning toward '97
Oh me, oh my. What have I missed out on all my life? The adventure genre is a good one, that's for sure. I feel quite stupid for having missed out...but none of that is important now, because now I've learned of the happiness in store for me in the form of other adventure games. This wasn't my first, but it was one of'em. Avast!
Graphics: 10/10 JC, guys, JC! These graphics are absolutely delicious. I'm willing to say that these are possibly the most perfect visuals I've ever had the delight of seeing. Everything is clean and crisp and drawn exactly as it was envisioned. Nothing is out of place and some of the environments are absolute works of art. There are high-res sprites on extremely detailed, lush backgrounds that vary significantly. The character designs are traditional, but still have personality. My favorite part about the graphics? The swirly clouds.

This is Guybrush Threepwood overlooking Puerto Pollo. Beautiful!
Sound: 9/10 Gah! Full voice acting and even catchy tunes to go along! Perfection among perfection! Kind of. Every character in the entire game is completely voice acted with big name actors like Gary Coleman. Yes, that's right, Gary Coleman everyone. All the voice acting is funny and top notch and all the different accents really spice things up. The music, for the most part, is good, but a lot of it is taken from the original Monkey Island (1990) and remixed. This is fine, but I would have liked to hear a few more original tunes. Other than that, the music is standard piratey fare.

The swirly clouds in the background of a piratey insult fight.
Gameplay: 8/10 Compared to its predecessors and many other LucasArts adventure games, the gameplay in CoM is very, very good. Instead of having to sort through a dozen different actions and then clicking on something, every item you click on has three different actions associated with it, along with the traditional drag-and-drop aspect of using items on others. The controls are very intuitive and require no briefing to understand how they work. The difficulty in any good adventure game has to be pretty high, but since there is no possible way to die in a LucasArts adventure game, you are essentially given infinite time to try anything you might think work. Some of the puzzles are very, very good and difficult to figure out, but some are just ridiculous and require that you backtrack to certain areas to find miniscule objects that most people wouldn?t notice. The difficulty just adds to the fun, though, because you actually feel smart when you figure out a tough issue. Who says games don?t promote education? Idiots, that?s who.
Story: 7/10 The story itself is pretty clich?d. Guybrush?s girlfriend/fianc? is turned into a statue by a cursed ring and subsequently stolen by monkey-pirates. In order to turn her back and save the day, Guybrush must replace the cursed ring with one of equal or greater value. Even though the story doesn?t have much to it, the characters do a great job of adding a lot of humor and personality to the otherwise mundane plot. Some of the jokes are extremely funny and there really aren?t many stupid jokes that just make you feel bad. This is genuinely good stuff and the writers should be praised.
Overall: 8/10 It?s quite long for an adventure game and the art is simply breathtaking. The humor and graphics are extremely well done. The music isn?t anything special, but suits the game. I would recommend this game to anyone, anyone at all. Seriously, it?s excellent. Maybe Nintendo should make something similar for the Wii. I think it would be a good platform for it. Oh well, now that the babble has started, the review should end.
Final words: Buy it now.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #48
Alexander
I speak with codes.

The box art is tasteful, yet simple. It isn?t this blurry in real life.
I have never been a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series. Over the years, I have purchased all three of the original games at closeout prices simply because I hate passing up a highly-reviewed game if it?s cheap. After hearing my peers and fellow forum members talking about how incredible the story is in the series, I felt obligated to give it another shot. I?m glad I did.

Graphics: 8/10 The graphics are simply top notch for the Playstation. I was very pleasantly surprised after equipping some of the vision-altering goggles, like Thermal Vision. The character models are well done and the animation is excellent, but like the majority of PS1 titles, elbows, shoulders and knees look very odd and disproportioned. There is a wide range of environments ranging from sewers to snow fields to pits of flame. A few pieces of equipment will alter Snake?s appearance, but not too drastically. Cut scenes are rendered through the game?s engine and exaggerated body motions are used to convey motion, since facial expressions were nearly impossible at the time. Sometimes actual recorded video will be shown and it ranges from being immersive to distracting, depending on the time in which it is played.

Obviously a Playstation title, but still pretty good looking.

Sound: 7/10 The music in Metal Gear Solid is, for the most part, nonexistent. While sneaking or sleuthing and during many of the cut scenes, ambient wind noises or footsteps or dripping can be heard. It adds to the realism, but I couldn?t help but think the developers were just being a little lazy. When you?re spotted by a guard and combat begins, a fast-paced, percussion-oriented tune plays, which suits the mood entirely. There is a separate combat song for boss battles, but it isn?t very memorable and doesn?t sound much different than the normal one. Every time you die (which will probably be a lot, since the game revolves around a lot of trial and error) a catchy little five-second melody will sound while one of Snake?s comrades cries out his name very realistically. In fact, the voice acting in the game is consistently solid. The women who provide the voices seem to do a better job of it than the men, but everyone has voices that suit their characters. At first, Snake?s seems a little forced, but it will gradually sound more natural.

Who guards the guard?

Gameplay: 7/10 People either get turned off immediately because of the gameplay or fall in love with it. I, personally, loved it. A lot of people just think of the series as stealth driven even before they play it, but that simply isn?t true. Stealth seems to play a minor role in Metal Gear Solid, because you don?t even have to sneak around. If you wanted, you could run through each room as fast as possible and still get through the game just as easily as someone who played conservatively. This is because every time you enter a new area, your respawn point is set to the entrance. It?s basically like saving every time you enter a room, and it?s very helpful. It means you won?t lose progress repeatedly or have to complete certain parts of the game over and over again just because you died.

Story: 9/10 The story is as complex as it is simple, if that makes any sense. After completing it, anyone would be able to recap the story in a few sentences. But since the game is about ten hours long, it really goes deeper than that. Every character is portrayed brilliantly and there?re even a few things to learn along the way (how sweet). The militaristic story is realistic and ridiculous at the same time. If you?re a fan of RPGs or good books, it?s a conspiracy story that?s perfect for you.

Overall: 9/10 There really isn?t any reason not to play Metal Gear Solid, when you get right down to it. It?s cheap, it?s common, and it?s incredibly well-made. You?ll get hooked and you won?t want to put it down. And even when you do, you can still play the remake and the other two in the series.
My favorite part of the game: Snake saying ?Meryl.?

Last edited by Xander; 05-25-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #49
Seraph
>:3

Yes, metal gear 1 is truley one of those awesome games.

i was kinda pissed about the ending though. or at least the "proper" ending that metal gear 2 stems from. the good ending is when you dont give into the toruture.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #50
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Yep, it's true...I think you can get used copies of MGS 1, 2, and 3 together for $30 or less.

I agree that MGS1 had the weakest music. MGS2 and 3 improve on that a lot.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #51
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Yeah, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 2 now. Where the hell is Meryl? I resisted torture and I guess I got the wrong ending.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #52
Nindalf

Everyone should only play Twin Snakes. It's the far superior version, despite what some Metal Gear elitist might say.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #53
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
Everyone should only play Twin Snakes. It's the far superior version, despite what some Metal Gear elitist might say.
I can't see any reason why you'd be wrong about that. I'm going to get Twin Snakes after I finish Snake Eater.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #54
burpingcat

Twin Snakes is great, although they really should've modified the levels to be better suited for the MGS2-style gameplay. Overall, Twin Snakes is good only for fans or for people that have never played MGS before because they avoid Sony consoles (looking right at you, Nintendo freaks!).

Last edited by burpingcat; 05-25-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #55
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
Yeah, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 2 now. Where the hell is Meryl? I resisted torture and I guess I got the wrong ending.
I heard she appears in MGS4. I guess it?s in on the trailer.

Twin Snakes is alright. It just seems pretty pointless to play since it?s the same thing over again just with very little extras and prettier graphics. Graphics don't even look as good as MGS2 though.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #56
Nindalf

Twin Snakes might not be the best remake ever, but if you haven't played either, there is no reason to play the original over Twin Snakes, or if you want to replay the game after a while. It's just better.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #57
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid, but I never had the urge to play through it a second time. That's just asking too much. Nor have I had the urge to play the sequels.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #58
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
Where the hell is Meryl? I resisted torture and I guess I got the wrong ending.
Yes, you can thank the brilliant creator for that decision.

They could of at least made reference that she was at home with the kids baking cakes or something. No, as far as you can tell in MGS2 the woman snake "found reason other than himself to live for" in is dead. It wasnt untill this new MGS4 trailer that we see shes still alive, which fugs the storyline up to no end.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 AM   #59
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Hopefully the MGS for PS3/360 will definately be Hideous Kojima's last MGS game. And then Snake will die. And everyone will be shiny, happy gamers.

MGS1: Initially interesting, but lost it's appeal very quickly.
MGS2: Got to that chick-boss-fight on the boat, never loaded the game after that again.
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:23 AM   #60
burpingcat

Lol, seraph...I'm sure Kojima and gang have acknowledged that Meryl has been missing for quite a while with no explanation. I'm sure they will have some explanation for it in MGS4. If any of us are rich enough to play it, they should post that info on here for us normal people when the game comes out.