The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #31
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALttP
Don't you touch the PSP port! The one thing that makes Ape Escape awesome is the control setup!
Haha! Playstation version it is then! But I may have to get the port anyway as I need something to play on the PSP.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #32
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

Well, if you want a great PSP games, then I'd go for Lumines!
ALttP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #33
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

People, give some requests. Some incentive to review games.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #34
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nice reviews. I'm interested in playing Phoenix Wright ~ Ace Attorney, though I always had thought it was a short game (you said 20+ hours). I don't agree with some of your scores but I agree with your FFVII score because it's nowhere near as fun as it used to be. It's played out. I dunno. I just could never see what was so special about Chrono Trigger, why people revere it as one of the greats. Probably because of the soundtrack. Oh well.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #35
Alucard

Unlike other games, in Phoenix Wright you spend all your time reading and selecting clues. In a game where you actually have combat and stuff, 20hours feels very nice. But in a game like this, despite it being an excellent game, it feels bloody long!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #36
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

Phoenix Wright is definitely 20+ hours, even for the super intelligent such as I.

Additionally, Alucard/Icarus, if there's any game you'd like an opinion on, I'm here.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:33 AM   #37
Ryu1Revline
Don't let them starve

My vote goes to Breath of Fire 1.
Ryu1Revline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 AM   #38
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

My Ape Escape review is finished. Breath of Fire will be on the way soon, however, I will have to play it some more before I can give it an adequate review. Any review anyone would like me to do in the meantime?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #39
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Tokimeki Memorial.

What do ya think? :cool guy:
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #40
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

Hahahahaha.

No.

I've been doing a Donkey Kong 3 review while I was waiting for responses. It should be done in a little while.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #41
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

Donkey Kong 3

System: Nintendo Entertainment System
Release date: July 4th, 1984
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo
Players: 1
Game length: Five minutes
Difficulty: Very easy

Donkey Kong 3 is an arcade style Mario game released by Nintendo on the Nintendo Entertainment System. It stars Stanley the Bugman, a one "hit" wonder of a character, who seems to be the cousin of Mario and Luigi. However, he has never left Donkey Kong 3 (out of appearing as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee), and has since fallen into obscurity. It features gameplay with a similar feel to previous Donkey Kong arcade games, but with far less climbing. In fact, the most climbing you do is usually up a few platforms, at most, essentially killing off the emphasis on climbing from the past Donkey Kong games. Unlike past Donkey Kong games, there is no one that they have to save, and Donkey Kong seems to be there in order to start crap in Stanley's greenhouse.

Gameplay: 5

The gameplay is as simple as gameplay can be. You use the A and B buttons to shoot, up and down on the d-pad to jump up and down the platforms, and left and right to move left and right. In each level, there are three platforms for Stanley to climb up in order to be in range of Donkey Kong. However, the bugs living in Stanley's greenhouse are riled up, and will occasionally fly down from their beehive to attack Stanley and try to steal all four of his flowers. Stanley's bug spray can be used to kill these bugs, but the main point of this is to spray Donkey Kong in order to force him out of the greenhouse (where, for some reason, Stanley feels the need to follow him into a pyramid and a forest). Each bug is worth a certain amount of points, and a bug that is carrying a flower scores extra points. While the gameplay was not terrible (I would even go as far as to say it was okay), it is the lamest and dryest gameplay I have ever seen from Nintendo. It was basically the exact same thing over and over again, except in a slightly more difficult setting - all you had to do was jump up, and shoot at Donkey Kong until he leaves.

Visuals: 6.0

Sadly, the best thing about the game is the visual quality. It is a very okay looking game. All of the sprites are of okay quality, while the backgrounds are pretty okay too. Nothing amazing to talk about here, just some okay sprites without any slowdown. But the main issue is that even back in the 8-bit days, these are merely okay.

Audio: 5.0

Bleh. Incredibly average. What do we have - a handful of songs? Most of the songs in the game are just tiny little songs, like the death song and the introduction, with a few songs for the few levels you get to play. I mean, they're not even all that great anyway, so that kind of put the nail in the coffin. The sound effects are nothing to call home about, neither. They kind of get lost in the music, with the exception of Stanley's bug spray sound effect.

Storyline: 2.0

The storyline... is pretty weak. The main character is Stanley the Bugman, Mario and Luigi's cousin, who runs a greenhouse. One day, Donkey Kong decides to mess with Stanley and break through the roof of his greenhouse. He pisses off a couple hives of bugs, and Stanley must use his bug spray to force Donkey Kong out of his greenhouse before the bugs steal all of his flowers. However, Stanley decides to follow him to a pyramid and then a forest for no particular reason in order to defeat him. Seriously, this story is pretty awful. Why is Donkey Kong there? What does he gain by ruining Stanley's greenhouse? Why did Stanley chase him into the forest?

Replay value: 4.0

Honestly, I don't see any incentive to replay this game unless you are either incredibly bored of all your other games, or you don't have anything better to do. Sure, you could go through the same three levels over and over again in Game B (that's hard mode), but in the end, you're just doing the same thing for 99 Phases, and once you finish all 99 of them, the game merely restarts at Phase 1. The game has no end, and no reason to spend that much time getting to Phase 99.

Overall: 4.5

Overall, this is a rom-worthy game. The kind of game that you should try once to truly understand the unbelievable repetition of this game. Not even worth buying if you own an NES. The only redeeming quality in this game is that it is not awful looking, it is not awful sounding and it does not play awfully. But that does not make it anymore worth playing. The writers made no attempt at making a reasonable plot. I would say that Donkey Kong's motive is pretty damn essential to know. At least Nintendo ended the arcade-style Donkey Kongs on a good note with Donkey Kong '94 on the Game Boy.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:44 AM   #42
Ryu1Revline
Don't let them starve

Good review of DK3. I never really enjoyed it.

On a side note, I started replaying Breath of Fire 1 again for no apparent reason. I'm about 20 hours in so far and it seems to hold up pretty well. I think if you start it up you won't put it down. It looks better than a GBA game so it's definitely not an eyesore.
Ryu1Revline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:36 AM   #43
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

Gah, I'm going to have to refocus my review on the GBA version... I swear, now that I've played the GBA version, I cannot go back to the SNES version, what with its run button and its superior menu.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #44
Nindalf

In the first post Mario is Missing's score is 0.5 but in the actual review its overall score is 1.

SHENANIGANS
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #45
ALttP
Atomic Betty fanboy

Go away, you. -_-