The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Rubeus

Xbox Series X: 1TB SSD Offers 802GB of Usable Storage Space

In that case it would be lucky if PS5 gets 650GB usable storage space out of its 825GB hard drive

Click for full size

Quote:
Xbox Series X: 1TB SSD Offers 802GB of Usable Storage Space

Xbox One X offered 780GB.

Xbox Series X has 802GB of usable storage space in its in-built 1TB SSD, reserving almost 200GB for the operating system and essential system files.

In IGN's hands-on preview of Xbox Series X, we showed off the storage space of a base Xbox Series X unit with no apps or games installed, showing the 802GB limit. This is actually an improvement on Xbox One X, which allowed for 780.9GB from its 1TB hard drive.

Game sizes are likely to be a major talking point in the coming generation, with storage costs creeping upwards throughout the lifespan of Xbox One and PS4, particularly with the advent of 4K resolutions. AAA games now require tens, and occasionally hundreds, of gigabytes of storage space and with the increased quality of Series X games, it's a trend likely to continue.

Perhaps the most notable large game right now is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. After today's Season 6 update, the full game install takes up around 192 GB on Xbox One. Assuming a similar size on Series X, you're looking at almost a quarter of the available SSD space taken up by a single game.

That said, we can't fully account for how that will change on Series X, with Xbox Velocity Architecture apparently set to reduce game sizes. Xbox Series S games will also apparently come in around 30% smaller than on Xbox Series X, although the lower powered console only has a 512GB SSD.

Using the (expensive) Seagate 1TB expansion drive adds 920GB of usable space to the Series X, and USB 3.1 external hard drives can also be used to store games but the latter option means stored games won't receive the benefits of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, which should improve load times and performance.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-se...-storage-space
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Would be nice if users could adjust the size of the quick resume reserved space for more game installs.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

I dont know. PS5's size might have already taken that into account.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I dont know. PS5's size might have already taken that into account.
That would explain why they announced such an oddly sized hard drive but I would be surprised if Sony was trying to be that straight forward about it. They probably just have an oddly sized hard drive.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
Rubeus

Maybe Sony took the OS out of the high speed SSD and put it in a not-so-fast flash memory, since it doesn't really need to be ultra high speed.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote