The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
darren
... lol

XBOX720 and PS4 must embrace change or face failure, says Gabe Newell

when he says invoate he does mean they need to be able to bake him a meat and potato pie as well though

http://beefjack.com/news/gabe-newell...tside-the-box/

Quote:
“I think that you either embrace the new approaches or you go away.” Those are the words of Valve boss Gabe Newell. Who’s he talking about? Microsoft and Sony, and his wish-list for their next generation of consoles.

The console market of late hasn’t been open to new ideas, Newell lamented – and he asked the leading console manufacturers to consider this in the next generation.

“It’s not the games that are out there today, it’s the games that we [...] haven’t even thought of yet that are gonna end up being important,” he said, speaking in a huge interview with Penny Arcade.

“I would push them very hard to stop thinking of themselves as being a platform for everything that already exists and start betting on the inventiveness and the benefits that you would get by embracing a more open approach to the internet and game delivery and game business models and things like that.”

Newell praised the games industry for moving at a faster pace of innovation than the world of cinema, but said he found it difficult to accept the rigid rules that each area of gaming appears to stick to.

“You know, we still don’t have World of Warcraft on consoles and as a World of Warcraft player and as a console owner I find that super frustrating,” he said.

“I think the same thing happened in the past with a lot of hardware innovations. Nvidia and AMD existed in the PC space and that’s why they end up, you know, rather than internally developed proprietary graphics solutions on the consoles, they’re all gone,” he added. “Everything in the console space is coming from the PC now.

“I think that we really need to see the same thing in terms of just general attitudes about platforms and that whichever console vendor sort of embraces that, I think they’ll see huge benefits.”
the full penny arcade interview here

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...-and-whether-w

some other interesting bits in there like

Valve making hardware?

Quote:
Well, if we have to sell hardware we will. We have no reason to believe we’re any good at it, it’s more we think that we need to continue to have innovation and if the only way to get these kind of projects started is by us going and developing and selling the hardware directly then that’s what we’ll do. It’s definitely not the first thought that crosses our mind; we’d rather hardware people that are good at manufacturing and distributing hardware do that. We think it’s important enough that if that’s what we end up having to do then that’s what we end up having to do.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Alucard

Looks like they want to dominate the console world with steam too. And they would. But now we know why HL2 ep3 isnt here. WoW.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(•̀ω•́ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
So basically, he demand console manufacturer to follow his way, or bust.

Why don't you try making console of your vision, Mr. Newell ?
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy IX [PS1] - /random shit [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Alucard

They laughed at him for his steam idea remember.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
darren
... lol

they lol'd as when he said steam, they thought he was talking about how he cooks his veg
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 02-21-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Bascially Gabby just wants to get rid of physical media and offer everything online, like Steam. That's what I get out of it.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
But now we know why HL2 ep3 isnt here. WoW.
Well if you only knew him by his picture you would think he does look the part of the typcal WoW player.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
bujeezus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Looks like they want to dominate the console world with steam too. And they would. But now we know why HL2 ep3 isnt here. WoW.
bwaaaahahhahahahahahaaaaa!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Maybe he should spend less time lecturing people on what they should do and spend more time on taking care of his own IPs.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Pretty sure Valve's IPs are being well taken care of. When was the last time you heard about a bad Valve game?

I agree with him on mostly every point. I like reading Gabe's interviews, he's always been quite down to earth, like Carmack is. Or used to be. He hit what's wrong with consoles bang on, especially if these Nextbox rumours are right; they need to concentrate more on giving you an amazing, new, innovative game experience rather than bundling as many un-necessary features into it as possible. I don't give a shit if I can stream TV onto my console, that's why I have a TV!

Don't agree with him on the World of Warcraft part though. WoW wouldn't work very well on the consoles, and that's I bet the main reason it's not there; Blizzard could have easily ported it over for years and years now and gotten an even bigger market, not like they need it but still, money is money, but aren't willing to rape it most likely. Bit hypocritical though since Valve didn't release L4D on the PS3 because they wouldn't be able to maintain the quality customers expect, or something along those lines, so to say Blizzard doing the same is annoying is a bit weird of him to say.

Also, fucking awesome to hear Valve are willing to produce hardware. It probably won't ever come to that, but I'm glad to hear they're willing to become more proactive should the need ever arise to it. A Valve dedicated gaming PC. *drool*
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
darren
... lol

the reason wow is not on consoles is due them developing there next MMO and that will 100% be on consoles tbh. imagine the fan far when they say its on console .. porting wow with all its content is wy to much of a fuckig chore now than anything .. do able .. but why bother tbh with anew mmo out in the next few years, it would take years to port it
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
Pretty sure Valve's IPs are being well taken care of. When was the last time you heard about a bad Valve game?
When was the last time you heard about Valve releasing one - other than Portal 2?

They seem content to rest on their laurels and make money with Steam sales.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
darren
... lol

well since 2006 .. there have done at least 1 game a year .. whats wrong with that???

and two this year ..

Half-Life 2 2004
Half-Life 2: Episode One 2006
Half-Life 2: Episode Two 2007
Portal 2007
Team Fortress 2 2007
Left 4 Dead 2008
Left 4 Dead 2 2009
Alien Swarm 2010
Portal 2 2011
Dota 2 2012
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 2012
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah Steam can do no wrong in my opinion. I wonder what he is looking for specifically from next gen consoles outside of the fanboyish MOAR RAM!!!!

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
When was the last time you heard about Valve releasing one - other than Portal 2?

They seem content to rest on their laurels and make money with Steam sales.
1 release a year is better than most developers manage; as Darren's post proved that's exactly what they do. And you sit there thinking Steam looks after itself? A service which over 5 million concurrent users at times is far from a walk in the park to maintain. They've ran a massive Dota 2 tournament and are looking to do another soon, with the Beta also running right now, and they're working on CS:GO with the Beta working right now too, and they're running Steam at the same time and have it working on iPhone and Android now, with TF2 still getting updates every so often still too.

So no, Valve aren't being lazy, as you seem to suggest, they're doing rather well and are definitely not lazy. They're working harder than most. Valve aren't huge either remember, only 200 employees for a developer with a hand in all of this. Which is damn impressive since they haven't dipped in quality once.

Gabe wins!