The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 05-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #4936
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Are you listening Batman: Arkham City? You don't have to have a GOTY edition that looks desperate and cheap!!!1!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (Zen9 5950x, 64GB, RTX 3090), PS5
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #4937
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post
Games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are much better, in giving a interesting background story for example somewhere written in the architecture... And the player can connect the dots themselves. suggestion not the written word, I don't need someone to hold my hand all the time, I don't need some omniscient narration to help me understand something.

I prefer the vague and obtuse style of the Souls games as well where the story is scattered throughout the game world for you to piece together through NPC dialogue, clues in the environment and item descriptions. Videogames are the only medium that can tell a story this way, so its unfortunate its under-utilized so much. If done right it just immerses you in the atmosphere like no other. Then again one has to recognize its just not a very popular method, as even Demons and Dark Souls are regarded by many as having 'no story'. Effort and imagination to comprehend a story just isn't as popular as having it spoonfed to you. Not that I don't think a cinematic narrative can't work or be enjoyable but the story has to be really good will the cut-scenes even register. As in most popular games its just boring fluff to connect one setpiece to the other.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #4938
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Are you listening Batman: Arkham City? You don't have to have a GOTY edition that looks desperate and cheap!!!1!
I'm not sure what you mean, but it was the same price as the regular version so i saw no issue with it.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #4939
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, but it was the same price as the regular version so i saw no issue with it.
He means the cover for Uncharted GOTY edition looks OK but the GOTY edition of Arkham City looks awful and tacky.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #4940
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
He means the cover for Uncharted GOTY edition looks OK but the GOTY edition of Arkham City looks awful and tacky.
Ah alright... he wasnt beeing sarcastic then. Cause content wise this U3 goty is nothing special.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #4941
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroopwafel View Post
I prefer the vague and obtuse style of the Souls games as well where the story is scattered throughout the game world for you to piece together through NPC dialogue, clues in the environment and item descriptions.
I haven't played Dark Souls and I doubt I ever will. I got seriously bored while playing Demons Souls. I think the last Boss I fought and killed was the Dragon God the one by all the pillars and you have to fire Harpoons into.

The bosses were great and enjoyable by far the best part of the game but the slow story, chunky controls and the dull dungeons were really a huge turn off for me. By the time I got that far I'd just had enough don't think I ever played it again after beating that boss.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #4942
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post
I have been saying this for years, rpg's suck most of the time.

I have been disillusioned by friends who said that games like Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star IV Final Fantasy VII, VI etc. etc. where great games I tried that crap... and got bored by all the stuff where your basically doing nothing or scrolling text.
You can go to HELL. STRAIGHT TO HELL.

It seems like you can't follow the story because you don't even understand basic grammar. Don't criticise it because it's too complicated for you.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #4943
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
I haven't played Dark Souls and I doubt I ever will. I got seriously bored while playing Demons Souls. I think the last Boss I fought and killed was the Dragon God the one by all the pillars and you have to fire Harpoons into.

The bosses were great and enjoyable by far the best part of the game but the slow story, chunky controls and the dull dungeons were really a huge turn off for me. By the time I got that far I'd just had enough don't think I ever played it again after beating that boss.
that was the second boss not the final. even if you beat the final boss wouldn't do anything you need to kill all boss to get the ending.

By all means I am not here to support it but the dungeons design is seriously brilliant and well thought off.
Hmm maybe you weren't in the mood or playing mindlessly. Happens to me time to times and really ruins games.

try to get over your "i must beat the game" attitude and play for fun.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #4944
Sulblazer

Final Fantasy 13, sadly. Finally bought the PS3....so I'm now catching up. Also, I sorta understand why they call the PS3 "Naughty Dog System". Uncharted is a pretty damn good series!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #4945
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe View Post
that was the second boss not the final. even if you beat the final boss wouldn't do anything you need to kill all boss to get the ending.

By all means I am not here to support it but the dungeons design is seriously brilliant and well thought off.

What Paper said, Escaflowne. My experience is the complete opposite. I'd suggest you try Dark Souls just once though b/c they made the dungeon lay-outs more varied as one interconnected whole. They also refined the combat a little further.

I'm a huge fan of the Souls games though. I find them incredibly rewarding and addictive, and I also find the minimalistic style really appealing. Poured hundreds of hours into those games. Can't wait for DS2!(even if its not by Miyazaki, but I was re-assured by the gameplay demo they showed a while back).
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #4946
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
I know English isn't your first language so I'll let that slide as you misreading it.

Quote:
Hmm maybe you weren't in the mood or playing mindlessly. Happens to me time to times and really ruins games.
try to get over your "i must beat the game" attitude and play for fun.
To many dark and boring levels for my tastes the prison levels, the mine levels were absolutely horrible tbh.

I play all games for fun, any I don't like I quit obviously.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #4947
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
To many dark and boring levels for my tastes the prison levels, the mine levels were absolutely horrible tbh.

I play all games for fun, any I don't like I quit obviously.

Oh I really loved descending deeper and deeper into stonefang tunnel(with Flamelurker at the end) and the serene creepiness of the tower of Latria. The awesomeness is in the details!

Again Dark Souls has much more use of vibrant colors. Espescially in the earlier sections like Undead Burg/Parish. Though if you really disliked everything about Demon's this one is probably not gonna win you over. :p
Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #4948
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Amazon had it on sale for 20% off. So I'm selling my Razer Naga (wired one). If you are interested in mine (I have the original packaging and all instructions/flyers/certificates/stickers etc), let me know asap.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #4949
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Is that some sort of s&m thing?

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #4950
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Not any more than the Wii 'Vitality' sensor was!

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: