The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #4921
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I tried Persona last week and it was OK. The music is odd. I could not, for the life of me, figure out the battles. I didn't have any fight options. I could only console or cuddle the zombies or some shit like that.
I haven't played Persona on the PSP yet but it was most likely the training on how to capture demons and make them part of your party. You have to talk to the demons and say the right things. Usually you have to weaken them in battle first and then talk it's optional so only when you want to. Since it was the training you most likely had to do it on this instance.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #4922
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Vanquish is total shit. I regret buying it even for cheap. I only bought it because I had heard lots of good reviews and no bad reviews on it (plus it was just a few bucks). I need to keep in mind that modern gamers are completely happy with absolute shit.

What exactly didn't you like about Vanquish? I think its a really awesome action game(mind I also grew up on snes/genesis games so I'm hardly a 'modern' gamer). Did you play it like a traditional cover shooter? If so you might missed out on the fast-paced intense action the mechanics also provide(and which is the game's biggest charm).
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #4923
Joe Redifer
Olé!

No, I ran around like my pants were on fire shooting everything. The game seems overly spastic. The backgrounds are very busy and it's hard to make shit out. I played for a bit but it quickly became very boring. The enemies just kept coming and coming and I wanted to progress to some area that wasn't so spazzy and didn't look like shit. But it never happened. I think games should hook you within the first 5 minutes. If it takes longer for a game to do that, the game has problems.

I also got Valkyrie Profile for the PSP. I've been playing it for a few hours so far and I think I'm still in the opening cut scene. Text text text. Now I remember why Square sucks so much. At least in the 16-bit days they could only include so much text. I have yet to do any exploring on my own. The only thing the game has let me do is briefly walk left and right and fight a couple of battles. Why do games feel they need such long opening preamble? Serious question here. I think most gamers forget that games are for playing, not watching/reading. And that's all I want to do... play.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #4924
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
I also got Valkyrie Profile for the PSP. I've been playing it for a few hours so far and I think I'm still in the opening cut scene. Text text text. Now I remember why Square sucks so much. At least in the 16-bit days they could only include so much text. I have yet to do any exploring on my own. The only thing the game has let me do is briefly walk left and right and fight a couple of battles. Why do games feel they need such long opening preamble? Serious question here. I think most gamers forget that games are for playing, not watching/reading. And that's all I want to do... play.
JRPGs are 60% about the story and 40% about the gameplay IMO. Do you really start playing a JRPG without expecting to be reading most of the time? Excellent game though.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #4925
Nem
Smash bro!

Also, its a playstation 1 era JRPG. Maybe you are beeing a bit overdemanding Joe? You knew what you were getting into. Its already pretty good for the time it was released. Back then games had to fit on a CD. Not all were like FF and could justify the investment of multiple discs. Its lucky that it had so much voice over like it did.

Actually i think the game was on 2 discs on the PS1.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #4926
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
JRPGs are 60% about the story and 40% about the gameplay IMO. Do you really start playing a JRPG without expecting to be reading most of the time? Excellent game though.
I would like some gameplay first and sprinkle the text throughout. The point is that the intro/preamble has no reason to be that long or that slow. Virtually a minute is spent watching the title character walk across a field slllooooowwwwllllly as if the processor was running at 1.27 Mhz. Do we really need to see the entire stroll? As an editor this drives me nuts as clearly this game did not have one. Most JRPGs aren't about reading. Well, maybe Square stuff, but even in Chrono Trigger I wasn't reading even 1/25th as much as this. They knew how to design that game. I know you can't possibly understand my POV, but it really does feel like the game is wasting my time when they do stuff like this. It progresses soooo slowly and you can't speed it up or skip it. You can't make any choices. There is no interaction which is what videogames are all about. People have forgotten. Square has forgotten.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #4927
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Square has forgotten? The PS1 days are widely regarded as Square's golden age. For me no JRPG ever topped FF7 or Xenogears. Also the whole point of a JRPG is to draw you into its world and story. If not what do you have left? A bunch of menus.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #4928
Ernst

I think the Suikoden games are better than FFVII - like objectively. Perhaps FFVII was technically superior at the time, but what does that really matter now? Quite in fact, I think Suikoden II, specifically, has aged A LOT better.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #4929
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

But the series sure took a nose dive after the second. :/

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (Zen9 5950x, 64GB, RTX 3090), PS5
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #4930
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroopwafel View Post
Also the whole point of a JRPG is to draw you into its world and story. If not what do you have left? A bunch of menus.
Yes, but my point is that this could be done much more efficiently. I'll say it again: Do we really need to see the entire stroll across the field to the mega castle she goes to in the beginning? Does this slow-ass stroll draw me into its world and story? No, it doesn't. There's also long pauses between characters in the spoken dialog as well that shouldn't be there. This particular game needs an editor something fierce. Not all RPGs are subject to this tedium but too many are. Tedium is not a necessary element in RPGs, but perhaps it's what people expect.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #4931
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I like Square's SNES games and Enix SNES games the best compared to any other generation of their games.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #4932
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
But the series sure took a nose dive after the second. :/
Suikoden 3 is borderline the best in the series IMO, but yeah then it took a nosedive.

Quote:
Not all RPGs are subject to this tedium but too many are. Tedium is not a necessary element in RPGs, but perhaps it's what people expect.
Maybe I've just played so many over the years I just don't notice it anymore. I can't remember what I thought when I played my first JRPG Wild ARMs it was to long ago.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #4933
Nem
Smash bro!

To be honest the Suikoden series only had the 4th game as bad. The fifth was good but seems to have come too late to repair the damage. The series took too long between installments and konami never bothered to advertise it much.
Also, the suikoden team was since disbanded, just like the silent team. Just a few of many konami mistakes.

With that said, i found out how Microsoft messed me up even when parting with my old 360. It doesnt have an HDMI port so the stores dont want to buy it. Thanks microsoft, i paid more and i got the crappy system. No wonder the system sold so much. They basically sold twice to everyone between those that wanted to upgrade to HDMI and those that got the RRoD.

With that said it didnt shut the door for this new baby to enter my life:

and i got these also:

And these are on the mail, about to arrive in the weekend:

I'm now officially super busy! ;)
Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #4934
loempiavreter
Belt Scroll Game Supremacy

I have been saying this for years, rpg's suck most of the time.

I have been disillusioned by friends who said that games like Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star IV Final Fantasy VII, VI etc. etc. where great games I tried that crap... and got bored by all the stuff where your basically doing nothing or scrolling text. Story? Don't make me laugh typical hero's journey writing with simple good guys vs bad guys, some spanish-soap drama style (works well for TV crap like Game of Thrones as well), and you have yourself a "good story"...

Games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are much better, in giving a interesting background story for example somewhere written in the architecture... And the player can connect the dots themselves. suggestion not the written word, I don't need someone to hold my hand all the time, I don't need some omniscient narration to help me understand something.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #4935
Ernst

Really couldn't get into Tales of Grace F.

Quote:
works well for TV crap like Game of Thrones as well
How bizarre.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote