The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 12-18-2010, 03:47 AM   #2296
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I've heard the gameplay is similar open-ended style to Far Cry. And I loved Far Cry and how it played. My computer should be able to run it maxed too.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #2297
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
don't be too sure about that. Nothing can run Crysis!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #2298
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
neat idea, but I didn't like it, I actually got bored of it. There is a reason why it didn't sell... other than everyone thought you needed a 2500 dollar computer to run it.
Because it's on the PC right and it's not an MMO.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #2299
Alucard

It sold well, something like over 3million. Crytek said it sold bad because they were wanting to sell 20million copies because they're a bunch of retards. Where the fuck is over 3million on ONE platform a bad number I ask. If I recall it did something like 1mill in its first month. I think over 3 months it reached over 2mill. US sales of the first month though were under 100k. EA said the sales for Crysis were excellent. It was crytek who came out and had a sulk, most likely because of US sales.

Checking far cry 2 sales they list it as 2.9mill worldwide on all platforms in its first month. There is a massive difference here though.. The consoles have been out for like...what, 5 years? Its there for anyone to play. And the consoles are filled with trigger happy kiddies where the fps, once mocked as being the pcs main selling genre by console gamers, is now the consoles main selling genre.

Crysis however you needed a very strong system to play, and a lot of people supposedly play on consoles or dont bother updating their pcs ever. Now while my system at the time wasnt gody, it could still run the game at almost full detail quite smoothly. I still have the same pc as I did then and its smashes almost any game I toss at it at max detail. So there were 3 massive reasons that 'hampered' the game-

1) Needed high specs to play it

2) Word of mouth saying the game really wasnt that good

3) Told you needed a $5000 system to play it, the most damning of rumour.

So with all these problems the game still sold extremely well on 1 platform. The main problem with crysis is it really wasnt really good. There were some stages that rocked, but most were average. And the main people who played the game were those who loved Far cry, which was easily their best game to date. So it was compared to that. Another thing is the engine wasnt that optimised, so it didnt run as good as it should. Warhead, the expansion, fixed these problems. It ran way better after crytek used their brains and tweaked the engine a little for better performance, and the game itself was actually quite good.

I also got bored of Far cry 2 and stopped playing it about 2hours into it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #2300
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
retards. Where the fuck is over 3million on ONE platform a bad number I ask. .
3mill for a AAA title ex on single platform isn't that amazing mate tbh mate, maybe for the pc it is but not other systems . but when wow selling 3 mil since it came out a week ago is a pc record . .3 mill for a single title probebly is amazing
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #2301
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
There are only like (I will estimate) like 30-40 games in the entire lifetime of video games that sold over 5 million units in the lifetime of the game being out on shelves.

Majority of those are Nintendo games.

The top ten Xbox 360 games.
Halo 3 (8 million copies)[24]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (7.481 million approximately; 6.471 million in US,[25][26][27][28] 87,374 in Japan,[29][verification needed] at least 1 million in UK)[30]
Gears of War (5 million,[31] may include PC version)
Gears of War 2 (5 million)[32]
Grand Theft Auto IV (4.356 million approximately: 3.29 million in US,[33] at least 1 million in UK,[30] 59,893 and 6,210 Platinum in Japan)[29]
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (4.226 million approximately: 3.04 million in US,[34] 78,000 in Canada,[35] 54,742 and 53,722 Platinum Collection/The Best in Japan,[29] at least 1 million in UK)[30]
Fable II (3.5 million approx. worldwide)[36]
Call of Duty: World at War (3.35 million approximately: 2.75 million in US,[33] 600,000 in UK)[37]
Halo: Reach (3.3 million in North America)[38]
Halo 3: ODST (3 million)[39]
Total Xbox 360 games sold as of December 2009: 353.8 million.[40]

The PS1 has the most on one system.

The top ten best-selling PlayStation video games.
Gran Turismo (10.85 million shipped)[96][97]
Final Fantasy VII (9.8 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)[98]
Gran Turismo 2 (9.37 million shipped)[96][97]
Final Fantasy VIII (8.15 million)[99]
Tomb Raider II (8 million)[100]
Metal Gear Solid (7 million)[101]
Tomb Raider (7 million)[102]
Crash Bandicoot (6.8 million)[103]
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (5.7 million)[104]
Final Fantasy IX (5.30 million)[105]
Total PlayStation games shipped as of March 31, 2007: 962 million
Old 12-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #2302
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
3mill for a AAA title ex on single platform isn't that amazing mate tbh mate, maybe for the pc it is but not other systems . but when wow selling 3 mil since it came out a week ago is a pc record . .3 mill for a single title probebly is amazing
For a single platform, with high demanding specs, and terrible word of mouth quality of the game, 3million is pretty awesome.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #2303
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I don't know how it could have such a bad rep. Game is awesome. Is running decently too; can max it out at 1920x1080, x4 AA, and usually get around 40 frames. Dropped the resolution to 1280x720 and its 60 frames at all times except for looking across wide expanses of the island, and even then, not too low, and my rig isn't that high-end.

Awkward at the start, but when you can switch suit modes and weapon modes in about a second, game becomes intense. People probably found it too complicated, d'awwh.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #2304
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
There are only like (I will estimate) like 30-40 games in the entire lifetime of video games that sold over 5 million units in the lifetime of the game being out on shelves.
vgchartz have it at 307 have sold over 3 mill and 124 sold over 5 mill. and theres some f**King poop in that list

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals....000&sort=Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
For a single platform, with high demanding specs, and terrible word of mouth quality of the game, 3million is pretty awesome.
i will agree that for a game as poop as crysis 3 mill is good .. but kunfu panda sold over 3 mil one on platform .,. lol .. so sales have never been a sign of quality .. crysis looked amazing .. will give it that . .the game it self . dull as

where did you read crysis did 3mill anyway? .. i can recall it not doing that great when it came out in 08 .. 86k in first month etc
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #2305
Alucard

Yeah that was US sales. Worldwide sales it did something like 2 million in 3months, which isnt a surprise because PC gaming is huge in Europe where as america people grew up using nintendos. That was either from EA or Crytek, they mentioned it somewhere. The numbers that is, not americans being thick with computers. Thats just my input. Based solely on dedicated surveys and statistics. Plus they're fat and need couches to play games. By now I'm pretty sure it would of breached 3mill extremely super easy. Probably more now that people realise you dont need NASA's computers to actually run it.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #2306
George Foreman

Just ordered me a $30 copy of Vanquish from Best Buy. Guess I'll be adding another game to the backlog.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #2307
spider-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
vgchartz have it at 307 have sold over 3 mill and 124 sold over 5 mill. and theres some f**King poop in that list

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals....000&sort=Total

i will agree that for a game as poop as crysis 3 mill is good .. but kunfu panda sold over 3 mil one on platform .,. lol .. so sales have never been a sign of quality .. crysis looked amazing .. will give it that . .the game it self . dull as

where did you read crysis did 3mill anyway? .. i can recall it not doing that great when it came out in 08 .. 86k in first month etc
well either way, there isn't that many still of over 30 years of video games. so 3 million is a great number to sell your game, when those numbers come from first being released at full retail price. So it isn't any wonder that even those life long sales don't keep up that activision keeps making Call of Duty games. that's like 180 million dollars in the first few days for a game that probably costs them about maybe around 20 - 50 million to make.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #2308
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Are you guys still arguing about Crysis' sales numbers?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (Zen9 5950x, 64GB, RTX 3090), PS5
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #2309
spider-prime

no, I'm talking about numbers overall for all game sales.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #2310
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Oh.

I got me some bungee cords today! I've been caught without them too many times when rigging up a simple canopy between my vehicle and some trees would have been awesome while unloading gear so I got me a couple of these bundles.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (Zen9 5950x, 64GB, RTX 3090), PS5
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote