The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-14-2004, 03:25 AM   #16
ATMA
Gamer junkie

Nice one Joe, wish I had enough time to do or try one. The blue background is also very nice.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:19 AM   #17
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Thanks guys!

When doing graphics work, it is good to resist using any kind of sharpening filter. That will destroy your edges. A lot of the source images I obtained had already been sharpened, and most had really crappy JPEG artifacts. Check out the pic of NiGHTS below and you'll see what I had to work with (and fix!). Samus from Metroid Fusion has the worst artifacts ever!

Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:51 AM   #18
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

well joe, you have successfully bastardized the gradiant on his face in the attempt to restore a certain level of quality to a low resolution jpeg, congratulations

sacrificing image integrity for image clarity is definatly one of your highlights but as a fellow user so kindly put it "damn he fucked that up so bad :P"
Axe Wielding Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #19
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

It looks like there is dirt on his face in the right pic.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #20
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well as you can see in the final version of the banner, it looks pretty good. I had no idea I would make Nights so small or I wouldn't have bothered. It's not a paying job so I felt free to screw around. I see what Spiff is talking about, though, and that was fixed for the final version.

You must consider, Mr. Destroyer, that you sacrifice "integrity" (of which the original image had very little) whenever you apply any sort of filter or make any changes in Photoshop. I was not trying to be faithful to the original art. Would you have noticed if I had not pointed it out? Nope. That's why it's not "fucked up so bad".
Old 04-14-2004, 03:43 PM   #21
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
That's why it's not "fucked up so bad".
its fucked up because it looks like shit..

but you see im not much of a photo manipulator, i photoshop sigs and shit, so I am not one to say shit, but when a photo manipulator who could probably clean up that image, without sacrificing the art involved, says its a shitty job, then imma take that opinion with a bit more than a grain of salt..

but hey, when you display your work, expect some comments on it.. and well.. it sucks
Old 04-14-2004, 03:51 PM   #22
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Does the banner suck, IYO?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #23
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

Quote:
Does the banner suck, IYO?
its not ugly, but I like the original better

if I make a banner it'll probably be all hack and slash and strategy rpg, but who knows, maybe i'll whip something up... i'll try and talk DA into making one too, she's better than I am
Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #24
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The biggest problem I have with mine is that it's "too busy". Never good for the main title of a site, but it seems to be the mantra of gaming art (have as much crap as possible everywhere). But it needs to be like that, since there must be many characters from many different games. But damn, at least the logo is at least somewhat clear now (recreated in vector).

I don't like the original too much because of the crappy logo and the crappy use of yellow. And what is that DISGUSTING "MB" logo right below it? Whatever it is, it should go away.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #25
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

Quote:
The biggest problem I have with mine is that it's "too busy". Never good for the main title of a site, but it seems to be the mantra of gaming art (have as much crap as possible everywhere). But it needs to be like that, since there must be many characters from many different games. But damn, at least the logo is at least somewhat clear now (recreated in vector).

I don't like the original too much because of the crappy logo and the crappy use of yellow. And what is that DISGUSTING "MB" logo right below it? Whatever it is, it should go away.
agreed, but they are more organized in a line.. if you're going to use several characters, you should create a sort of harmony with them.. and who knows, maybe with the banner you could convince them, to change the colors if its good enough..
Old 04-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #26
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The current banner seems to have been assembled from some low res sources. Some of the characters look a bit blurry. I may have created a whole new MB logo if I had known I could do so, but by the time I found out I had already recreated that one. Oh well. At least I was able to increase the size of the name.

Also I REALLY REALLY wanted to have Castlevania in there, but couldn't find artwork that suited my needs. I was gonna have Sephiroth from FF7 in there, but the only good art of him I could find had him looking directly at the "camera". Not what I wanted! He also looked too wimpy. But peeps love their Sephiroth!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #27
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

Quote:
Also I REALLY REALLY wanted to have Castlevania in there, but couldn't find artwork that suited my needs. I was gonna have Sephiroth from FF7 in there, but the only good art of him I could find had him looking directly at the "camera". Not what I wanted! He also looked too wimpy. But peeps love their Sephiroth!
some pretty high quality castlevania art may be found at classicgaming.com's hosted Castlevania shrine

and if you put Sephiroth, I will hate you till you die
Old 04-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #28
Joe Redifer
Olé!

LOL! Fair enough.

Yeah I checked Classicgaming and I liked the art, but they just didn't have exactly what I wanted.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:13 PM   #29
Alucard

The banner should just be one long Alucard thing.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #30
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
one long Alucard thing
Pervert!