The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 11-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Alucard

School shooting in Germany

I bet you alll thought I was going to say school shooting in USA lolololo I can see how you would think this.. Ahem....

Quote:
A long-simmering debate in Germany about banning violent computer games is burning again after an aloof teenager on Monday stormed his former high school, shot five people and later killed himself.

The disgruntled 18-year ex-pupil from Emsdetten, Germany, near the Dutch border, was described by students and teachers as a youth with no friends who liked guns and played violent computer shooting games.

The incident brought back memories of a shooting rampage in the eastern German city of Erfurt in 2002 when an alienated former pupil -- and computer games player -- shot 16 people, mostly teachers, and later himself.

It has also rekindled the simmering debate in Germany on whether violent computer games should be banned.

"The government is currently reviewing whether the current legislation for protecting minors needs to be revised and plans to announce its finding by the end of 2007," said a spokesman for the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth. "The Emsdetten shootings will likely impact these discussions."

Family Affairs Minister Ursula von der Leyen addressed the German parliament earlier on Tuesday and has been holding talks with policy makers throughout the day, the ministry spokesman said.

The minister is expected to make a public announcement later in the evening.

Numerous politicians have expressed outrage over the school shootings and continued access to violent PC games.

Brandenburg state Interior Minister Jφrg Schφnbohm said in an interview with the German media that "killer games" encourage violent behavior and are contributing to an escalating rate of brutality among young people. The minister called the current practice of voluntary regulation by game publishers and distributors inadequate.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...pcgames_1.html

Thats only half the article. Couldnt be stuffed putting the full thing here. Someone remind me what computer games Hiitler was playing cause I'm really curious. No doubt nin will know this one.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Hitler played Pinball a lot.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Nindalf

Hitler wasn't German. Had Hitler been German, he would have done way worse. Germans are evil.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

Screw that. I believe in videogames as catharsis. That, and just appreciating what went into making the game.

Anyone who blames violence on videogames is hiding behind a bigger issue.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
Screw that. I believe in videogames as catharsis. That, and just appreciating what went into making the game.

Anyone who blames violence on videogames is hiding behind a bigger issue.
Wow....way to word it, man.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Chronos
fuggit

Muchas gracias
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Personally they should get rid of anything violent or whatever like it if they do it to Videogames, movies are worse, music is just as bad, comics, TV, some radio shows also, like Howard Stern, Hell, let's just get rid of the internet while we're at it.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Drunken Savior

SPIDERMAN IS A TRAITOR!

VOTE BATMAN! 2008!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
spider-prime

But I'm really Benedict Arnold! I'm back to the other side baby!