The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

M$ wants Apple like PCs.

Quote:
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/07/27.6.shtml
Microsoft is working to change the beige-box image most PCs suffer from by offering manufacturers its own how-to kit. According to BusinessWeek, Microsoft is advising PC makers to design cases with "accelerated curves" and "purposeful contrast." The colors Microsoft's kit calls for are obsidian (a shade of black) and ice (translucent white).

The booklet included with the how-to kit even says "We want PCs to be objects of pure desire."

For the past 18 months, Microsoft has been working with a team of 20 in-house designers to create a style guideline the PC manufacturers can follow to create computer cases that follow the Windows Vista style. The styles that Microsoft is pushing, however, sound very Apple-esque.

Even though Microsoft is offering the how-to kit as merely suggestions for possible PC case designs, some manufacturers don't see it as help. They feel that Microsoft's suggestions could commoditize the PC market even more as companies churn out boxes that look just like everyone else's.

A spokesperson for PC maker Lenovo commented "Our ability to differentiate ourselves comes from our industry-leading innovation,and design is a big part of that."

Microsoft's new-found tendencies towards Apple's style may carry over into its upcoming Zune multimedia player product line as well. Reports suggest that the Zune players will work only with Microsoft's Zune music service, just like the iPod is the only device that can play music purchased from the iTunes Music Store.
First the OS X look and now the actual hardware. M$ sure sounds like a case of Monkey see, Monkey try to do.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Quote:
"We want PCs to be objects of pure desire."
el oh el
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Seraph
>:3

At least in the PC world we dont have fanboys screaming that their company didnt copy. MS's been copying apple since day one (well almost at least), and its blatently obvious to everyone. I bet you MS would even admit it if you asked them.

Although im kinda confused as to what this article is about. Dont sleek PC cases exist already? Even dell makes some nice looking cases.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
burpingcat

Yeah I've seen some pretty nice, elegant and cool-looking 3rd party cases for PCs. I don't see what the big hubbub in copying the "Apple look" is all about.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Alucard

Theres heaps of nice ones about. Its just microsoft trying to get into the press some more and slylymarket their 360. I like my beige box. I purpose SPECIFICALLY went for one like that out of the dozens of choices I could go to. Its simple, cost effective, and has all the room I need for the stuff inside. Take your fucking bells and whistles and give it to the impressionable console kids.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

There's no doubt nice looking PC cases but they only look nice cause you got to see those 2987/1 ugly ones first. The best cases I ever seen been 3rd party. But like, most of Dells, just big black boxes. What makes Apple's hardware shine was their original white paint and glossy finish. Overlaid with a clear plastic casing to give it a jewel like look. Its something practically every MP3 makers is coping now. Even M$'s own Zune is just recycled looks and functions from the whole iPod line.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Alucard

lololol and my favourite PC-

Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I got a question. I was thinking about getting an Ipod but I heard it only plays mp3's downloaded from Itunes. It sounds silly to me but I figured I would ask to be sure. I just want to be certain it will play the music and audio books I have on my computer.

Also is there a size limit to the length of an mp3 it can accept?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
Seraph
>:3

You just need to use iTunes to send it to the iPod. Its basicly the iPods transfer software.

I took my entire MP3 collection and put it on my iPod with iTunes, it was really easy.

And Im not aware of any limits, the longest track I have is 32 minutes though.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The iPod can play Mp3 files from anyway. I don't have a single music store purchase on mine. It'll also play these formats.

MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store, M4A, M4B, M4P), Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4) and WAV.

And there is no size limit to music files or even data files. Your only limit is the HD of the iPod itself.
-----------------------

Oh and, this is one of the only few PC cases I like.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Thats a pretty sweet case

I use this:

Its very roomy, cool, and sleek looking.

The only problem with me and Reality's cases are that 3rd parties dont use them in their computers, but people who make their own do. And that is what PC is to me, customizable computers.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Keep in mind, the most difficult thing about the ipod is the retardation of iTunes, which is a terrible sync program.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
burpingcat

I thought the most difficult thing about the ipod was overcoming the sudden feeling of being very trendy.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Out of curiosity what was the problems you faced syncing with iTunes Bombay?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
Vegetto
Alive

I frickin hate Itunes with a passion, my bro got an Ipod and used my PC to get his music, well it like messed with all of my music, tried moving it and deleting it I was so damned pissed

also now whenever I start my PC there are programs that open I can view in running processes in task manager called OPODSERVICE.EXE and ITUNESHELPER.EXE

I msconfig and the damned thing isnt in the start up list

wish my bro would HURRY THE HELL UP with getting his music so I can delete the frickin progam

Itunes=poopoo
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote