The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

My damn graphics card is fu**ing up!

my graphics card is being a bastard-

the fan is making a loud mechanical screeching/whirring noise, i dont know how many of you have encountered this bitch of a problem, i'm thinking maybe i can replace the heatsink/fan,

but the guy in this cafe is saying that its fucked- all i can try is cleaning it, or get a new replacement,

seeing as its 256mb card it means a replacement could set me back ?200

anybody had a similar problem here?? and if you have did you find a way to fix it without replacing it, apparently if its the ball bearing it cant be replaced.

in the morning i'm going to head down to my local computer fair to perhaps buy a replacement,

i'll get a second opinion from the pcworld clinic and come back here to see if anyone can help- for which i would shower much karma and apprieciation.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Last edited by FinalSolace2; 02-17-2006 at 05:08 PM.
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Alucard

Some cards need the fans changed, but this depends on the brand. Whats your brand anyway, and what 256mb card is it? But yeah, its not a huge problem. Sometimes cleaning it is fine, but it really depends on the type of sound its making. You should talk to Seska about broken fans
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

does it only do it when you start up your computer after it has been turned off?
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Alucard

Fact is it shouldnt be doing it period. If the fan starts making noises, you replace it. Instantly.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Risky

well my fan makes whirring noises only when i start from a cold boot, because something happened with the drivers, and they don't load until windows starts, so it spins faster than usual. It's a known issue with a lot of ATI cards, but it's not a problem.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Alucard

Oh, the speed up thing is extremely normal. Even my custom cpu fan does that.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
Risky

Yeah, I just wondering if that was his problem.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
FinalSolace2

maybe thats what it is! i'm back home now, and using the PC,

it seems to be working fine- but its way louder,

it started happening after my hard disk got full and i moved a whole season of battlesttar galactica to another hard drive

but i'm worried- its almost like i can smell a faint smell of burning plastic!

but it might just be paranoia- ive smelt it in the past almost last year, but its been working fine since then.....

can upgrading the driver help??

and this graphics card is an x800 series for the record.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Last edited by FinalSolace2; 02-17-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
FinalSolace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
well my fan makes whirring noises only when i start from a cold boot, because something happened with the drivers, and they don't load until windows starts, so it spins faster than usual. It's a known issue with a lot of ATI cards, but it's not a problem.
yep it happens when windows starts and that makes alot of sence-

though now it happens before windows boots up.

ps if your using the the .net framework program for installing the new catalyst drivers will it ask you to register your copy of windows as i cant remember the registration key????

Last edited by FinalSolace2; 02-17-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
Risky

Well, it sounds like it could be a harddrive problem. What I was saying with my fan issue was that it would make the noises before windows loaded the drivers and stop once windows started and the drivers were loaded. but it does sound like a harddrive problem, since it happened after you moved all that data. try formatting the empty drive, or do a scandisk and check for errors and a defrag
Old 02-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Alucard

Why move the BSG season when you can burn it onto a dvd and off your drive? And if you say you dont have one I am going to kill you.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
let me guess, you don't clean the inside of your computer from dust and other little crap do you
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 AM   #13
FinalSolace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
let me guess, you don't clean the inside of your computer from dust and other little crap do you
now and again-

just the heatsinks, and the bottom of the case and the fans.

the particals are so fine that a hoover even has trouble.
anyway ive been running my computer for the last few days, its been working- but the fan on the card still sounds crazy!

i know its not the hard drive (i hope) becuase i switched on the PC without the graph card in and the sound was gone.

if it was mechanical you would hear the harddrive squeeking without the graph card in.

also when i moved BSG the HD didnt free up that space! but after re-starting the PC 3 times it registered the extra space.

i updated the drivers but that didnt change anything.

it sounds a bit quieter now than it did when it went funny, but still louder than it originally was. if the fan tottally fail than i'll buy a replacement card- i'm just not going to leave the PC unattended.

i'll try a defrag next- i wouldve known if i had a virus by now.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
buy a can of compressed air and spray that into it.

I had the same problem with my fans on my computer

its dust that gets right into it, if you don't get it clean in the smallest spots it will destory it enough to break the fan, or worse fry your computer.

just recently, cause I've been away in Greece, my fans were making the same sounds you described, I opened it up, sprayed some air into it, and POOF tons of dust flew out of it and put the case back on, turned on the computer and viola my computer runs perfect again.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:58 AM   #15
Alucard

Resetting your pc 3 times? Whats inside your PC and windows OS do you have installed because that sounds retarded.