The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
Rubeus

How do you use Paypal to receive money?

Just wondering if you guys have used Paypal before?

I want to use it to receive money from another party, but I have never done it before, so I need to know the steps and what to look for?

I don't have an enhanced account in Paypal, just a regular account.

Thanks in advance!
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 01:22 AM   #2
Investor27
Legend

I have been using Paypal for over three years now. My experience with Paypal has been good and bad. The good part is that if the other party sends money, I don't have problems getting it. But if that party rips me, Paypal will never do a single thing about it. Case in point: I have had to file several complaints to Paypal when people don't pay up or ship their items to me after I had paid them with Paypal. After Paypal had gotten back to me at the conclusion of their investigations, and even though they found those parties to be at fault, they can't help me get back my money citing that those party has no money in their Paypal accounts, even though the accounts were linked to their checking accounts.

Anyway, to answer your question. I, too, have a regular account and have been receiving money without any problems. Here's how it work. Only accept payment from a checking account linked Paypal account. Don't accept any credit card Paypal payment. Tell the people you are dealing with that you will only ship to the verified address on their Paypal account. If their Paypal account is linked with their checking account and also have a credit card as a second backup, you will received the payment immediately. If not, then you have to wait 3-5 business days for the funds to clear on the other end while it's sitting on your Paypal account. After you received the funds and they cleared, you can transfer the amount to your checking account without charges.

I hope that help, my friend. If not, just post here and I'll try to answer any other questions you may have.

On a different note. I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and am having problems getting to any paypal website. I keep getting the "website not found" error message. I'm running Zone Alarm, Popup Stopper, Norton Internet Security, and Cachman, but have turned all those off and I still can't get to any paypal links at all. I even downloaded Morzilla 1.6 and Morzilla Firefox but both couldn't get to the www.paypal.com or https:\\www.paypal.com or any paypal link at all. I thought people recommended the two Morzillas over Netscape 7.1 and IE6, but I'm now thinking about removing them from my computer and going back to IE6. Does anybody have a clue what's going on? I have also set my IE6 to accept all cookies, cleared out my cache and cookies and still have no luck. My two years old desktop (running Windows XP as well) has no problems getting to any of the Paypal website. This is very unsettling since I can't access my account when I'm away from home. Any help or idea to solve this problem will greatly be appreciated.
Investor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:48 AM   #3
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Wow, this is ironic and perfect timing. I just got a paypal account like 2 weeks ago and used it for the frist time today.:bigsmile:
Old 04-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
Rubeus

If you are using Windows XP, maybe you have the ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) enabled. Also check the list of restricted site in IE6, if you find Paypal, delete it.

Norton and Zone Alarm protects your privacy information, you can check to see if privacy protection is disabled.

Also check to see if you have installed any plugins in IE6, such as google, yahoo and MSN toolbar, maybe Paypal has somehow got into the list of filtered sites in these toolbars.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Rubeus

I am just wondering, what do you need to do if the other party wants to send you money? Do you just give them your email address registered in Paypal? What other steps do you need to do?
Old 04-11-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

OK, I just set up my paypal account. I needed to send this guy $3(whoopy) cuz I accidently sent him the wrong amount for some games. Anyways, I did the thing where it says add a new credit card or debit card. I added my credit card, and sent the guy the $3. But then I got an email from him saying he couldnt except credit card payments unless it was through his premier account. (And that he would send back the $3). Even though It is my debit card, which goes to my checking account. So im like ok, and go check the paypal site. I found the option to actually add a checking account to the site and so I did, but it says that they added a small amount of money to my account to verify it and that it will take 2-3 days to show up. And they told me to call my bank to confirm it. So is this all I need to do, is set up my checking account, and then can I send and recieve payments to anyone?

And what is with the paypal balance and what is its purpose, I was reading the info about the transaction of the $3 and I couldnt understand it. I checked my checking acc, and it shows $3 being taken out, then being taken out again, and then added in once. So I never actually got my $3 dollars back, which is no biggie but I just want to know what is going on.

Help plz.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:49 AM   #7
Investor27
Legend

Hey, Rubeus. I don't remember adding any Plug-ins from google, yahoo or any other, but I did recently do a complete upgrade for the IE6. The Morzilla Firefox and Morzilla 1.6 do have the google bar plug-in built into the system. Which one of those two Morzilla do you perfer anyway? I don't understand what you meant by the private issue with Zone Alarm and Norton. Am I supposed to turn it on or off in those two? At any rate, I uninstalled both and still couldn't get on to the paypal sites.

In order to accept payment from the other person, all you have to do is give him your Paypal email address. Once he sends you money, you will receive a notice from Paypal stating that you have been sent a payment, and you have the option to accept or reject the payment. But if his account is connected to his bank and credit card, I believe you get it automatically once he sent you payment.

SpaceManSpiff. You will find that almost no one will accept a credit card payment through paypal, because it does require a premium membership, and they charge you for accepting payment through a credit card. Don't worry about the $3 amount. It's probably being process by your bank while awaiting for the transfer to go through. I know that $3 is a small amount, but make sure that by the time you have confirm the amount deposite that PayPal sent to your bank (20-30 cents or so) that things add up correctly. If they messed up on $3, imagine what they could do with access to your bank and credit card accounts. Everything you described so far is normal behavior by all parties. What I did was I kept calling my bank and used their automated response to find out how much paypal deposited. You will hear your bank telling you that you have a deposite of .30 cents or so. That's the one from Paypal. Just select the "for a list of recent transaction" option, and you should be able to get the two small deposited amounts. Then go back to paypal and input the information in to be verified. Then send the fool the $3 payment. Sorry I couldn't answer the questions more quickly. I am now having trouble getting to the internet with my laptop connection. I am on a desktop for the moment. Email me directly, guys, if you have any more questions until my internet connection issue is resolved. alexhho@yahoo.com

I have been using Paypal for about three years now, and they have always had my credit card and bank account information, and I have never had any problems with them. Just be aware of the Paypal scam that goes around the internet. I constantly received emails to my yahoo account stating that my Paypal account has suspicious activities or that it has been expired and that I am required to click on a the link provided and reinput my login, password, bank account information and so on. Don't ever do this. If you ever received anything like this, and you believe that the information may at least bit be credible, you go to paypal directly yourself by typing www.paypal.com and login to your account from there. Also be aware of links like www.paypal.com/******.exe

Last edited by Investor27; 04-11-2004 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:10 PM   #8
Rubeus

Quote:
Hey, Rubeus. I don't remember adding any Plug-ins from google, yahoo or any other, but I did recently do a complete upgrade for the IE6. The Morzilla Firefox and Morzilla 1.6 do have the google bar plug-in built into the system. Which one of those two Morzilla do you perfer anyway? I don't understand what you meant by the private issue with Zone Alarm and Norton. Am I supposed to turn it on or off in those two? At any rate, I uninstalled both and still couldn't get on to the paypal sites.
I perfer Mozilla 1.6, because it has more features, FireFox is still in beta stage.

Privacy Protection is a feature to protect your personal info like credit card number, address and so on. Usually it is enabled in NOrton and Zone Alarm by default.

Why don't you try to open the DOS window, do a "ping www.paypal.com", and see if you can connect to the site.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:05 PM   #9
Investor27
Legend

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that, Rubeus. It's been many years since I've used DOS. Little help, please?

Anyway. I can't get onto the internet with my laptop now. It's weird, Rubeus. I can see the icon below saying that I have excellent connection at 11MPS, but I can't get IE or Morzilla to load. I keep getting the page is not found message. I tried repairing the connection, but I get the can't renew the IP address message. Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Alucard

You might want to give your ISP a call. Maybe the modem you're using is having issues. I know with mine I sometimes have to disconnect it from the power for 30seconds to wipe it. I'm sure thats not your exact problem but it could be related to your ISP.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:44 PM   #11
Investor27
Legend

Well. I'm hoping that it's related to the ISP and not my modem. I switched out my new hard drive for the older hard drive that came with the laptop a month back (and I had never had issues with that one), but I still can't get onto the internet. After trying to repair the connection, it did state for me to contact my ISP. The only problem is I'm piggy backing off of some guy's unsecured network here in the building. I'm moving to Florida in a few months and so I didn't feel the need to established a year of DSL contract. The weird thing is I get a full, excellent connection message at 11mps, but it won't connect. I'll try taking the batteries out of my laptop, because I don't know how to remove my modem. It seems to be built-in. Thanks, Alucard.

I just removed my wireless PCI card, put it back together and the laptop still doesn't connect to the internet. Even though it states that I have an excellent connection, everytime I open IE or Morzilla it states that I'm not connected. I think I can remove the modem itself, but it's a lot more complicated. Should I go ahead and remove it then put it back like I did with the wireless PCI card? Do you still think this may help since the PCI card removal didn't work? I'm just going insane here.

Last edited by Investor27; 04-11-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #12
Rubeus

Hey if you have problems connecting to the Internet, why can you still post messages in here?!

If you are using dialup access, you must dial out to get a connection.

If you use DSL, you must use the dialer from your DSL provider to connect to the Internet, or use something like RASPPPOE.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:31 PM   #13
Investor27
Legend

My laptop is wireless, and access is through some guy's unprotected DSL service in the building. I post here whenever I can on a dialup landline. But even when I was able to connect with my laptop, I couldn't connect to Paypal. I think you guys are correct, and that it has to be a DNS error. I have connected to Paypal before on my laptop while piggy backing his internet connection. I'll just wait till next week to see if things work out. Take care, everyone.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #14
Rubeus

So the most logical thing is that the guy has somehow "protected" his wireless connection from unauthorized access.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:55 AM   #15
Investor27
Legend

Well, I'm back onto his network again in my building. I think it was his ISP that was causing the problem. I have read several different posts over the net of people experiencing the same problem I had with getting on to a Paypal website, but not at the same time I had this problem (Friday till Monday afternoon).