The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Dell Desktop, Good deal?

Specs:
Intel Core i7-2600 (3.4GHz) Processor
8GB DDR3 Memory
1TB 7200 RPM, SATA Hard Drive
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW)
Nvidia Geforce GT530
Dell 1501 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Microsoft Office Starter
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

700 american
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Alucard

That video card is worthless. Might as well get a DELL sticker and put it on an xbox. I also dont count that a good deal.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well, the graphics card can easily be changed; you can get a GTX 460 for about $150 and that'll pretty much max out everything right now. And with 8GB RAM and an i7 I doubt there would be that much of a problem in the future too since we're not getting the next Sony or Microsoft consoles till at the earliest 2013, and I doubt they'll go much higher in terms of power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500202
Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Alucard

You be quiet. You want a system, you start from scratch and select the parts. Dont take the cheapest third grade crap that dell puts into that system and then charges more then they should. Replacing the video card also means you're paying for the old one too. Super waste.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I agree building one is better but some people don't feel like doing that.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Seraph
>:3

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If you're going to use it for games then like King mentioned, get a new video card.

What kind of warranty does it come with?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

two year warrantee. I thought the video card was a good one. I got a gtx 260 core 216 so I figured that one would be much better. If I have to swap in a better video card I think I'll pass.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
Old 06-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

GT 530 is a low-end card. Not up to scratch for modern games. GTX 260 is though.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Alucard

Heres some parts I'd recommend for a super system. Check out the price at your prefered store of choice.

Case- Antec Dark Fleet DF-30 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HDD- Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM
PSU- Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX
Ram- Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Mboard- GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
CPU- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
BR drive- SONY Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BD-5300S-0
GPU- GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GBB Overclocked 900mhz

Now I'm not saying buy these exact parts, just giving you an example of what you'd be paying for above compared to here. You can lower a couple things like the bluray drive to a normal dvd drive, the case to something cheaper, HDD maybe smaller if you so feel, and if you're feeling real cheap you can lower the motherboard and power supply. Going the cheap way, remove $200 or so from that price. Add an extra $99 for the win7 home premium 64bit if you really plan on buying it. I would say leave the video card and power supply alone if you plan to lower stuff. Theres zero point going below the cpu as well since you'd lose more then it would be worth.

But that sort of system, you're good for about 4 years on playing majority games at max. I mean one or two may come along that will look at your system and say FUCK YOU and you'll be forced to settle for high instead of max, but I think you'd probably be able to live with yourself.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

With BF3 and skyrim coming out (And the Witcher 2 once I get around to beating the first one) I think it's a good time to put together a good second system. If I salvage an old case I might be able to put together something for like 500 with parts from that list. I just need to make sure I don't keep putting it off forever like I did with my current system. Thanks for the input everyone especially you Al. The list is going to come in handy.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Alucard

Dont rush the upgrade. Do it right and you'll save yourself money and grief down the track. Skyrim max detail? Witcher max detail? Eerything max detail? OH BABY!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
If you're not sure about the video cards, it's always good to ask since their way of marketing them never tells people how good they are. They just make them all seem more powerful cause it's a Radeon 1 MILLION... but it's only more powerful than the 6990 radeon.

I made that mistake before when I was younger, I had a radeon 9600 pro, great card for the time and then I wanted a new one so I spent 200 dollars getting a Radeon X700........... I did not know these were the budget cards of the series I just got and it was only a little bit more powerful than the 9600.

I really research now what I buy after that.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
You be quiet. You want a system, you start from scratch and select the parts. Dont take the cheapest third grade crap that dell puts into that system and then charges more then they should. Replacing the video card also means you're paying for the old one too. Super waste.
True, My friend built a stronger PC than that for less money 6 months ago.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
Northeastmonk

You could always check the clearance rack at your local electronic stores. I just recently picked up a Sony Vaio labtop, which I'm using now for 900 after taxes.

It has a 425m Nividia GeForce 1gb dedicated graphics card, bluray drive, i7 1.73 GHz Quad Core processor, 4 gig RAM, Windows 7 and a 500gig HD, Web cam, and I also got $40 off for being a floor model. But it runs like a charm. Original price was $1200 US.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Alucard

Laptop is slightly different. And not really made for games unless you spend like $5000.