The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #16
Seraph
>:3

No No Alucard, its not because of motion sickness. It more like a headache so bad It makes me sick. It only happens when I have to solve some boring monotonous puzzle, or end up back tracking for over an hour trying to figure out where to go.

I cant stand walking past the same area 30 some times over the corse of an hour because i dont know where to go. Sure, this happens in all games occasionally, but in FPS's it happens far to often.

One of the reasons i loved goldeneye on the N64 so much was because the missions were so linear, I had fun the whole way through. I think it was one of the only single players ive liked. I dont ever remember getting lost in that game.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #17
Alucard

Its a bit hard to get lost in a linear game though..

And yes, I wanna hate Quake4! No grapple gun = no love!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #18
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

the only quake i liked was part one. never played two, and three was too wacky. i think they should bring back the demon stuff, it was pretty scary when i was a kid
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
Decado

The three "biggest", most recent PC shooters:

F.E.A.R. -----> Quake 4 ---------> Serious Sam II

Exclusive ---> PC/Xbox360 ----> PC/Xbox
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:34 PM   #20
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Its a bit hard to get lost in a linear game though..
To make sure i dont sound like a total retard...

its not like i get "lost" per say. Its more or less I just dont know where to go next. Like there was a tiny pipe somewhere that i didnt know I could climb up, so i spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get to the next ledge, then think that im not supposed to get up there in the first place and start backtracking to where i "should" be going.

I just dont understand the rest of the western world i guess. People hail the stories of Doom, Halflife, Halo as being the greatest epic tales ever told. But the FPS is a crappy way to tell a story through if you ask me. Even my old favorite game Shogo told an anime like story, but i never got into it. I just couldnt relate to a FPS.

I aquired Doom3 a bit ago. I loved doom 1 and 2 back in the day. The extent of the story was "your on mars/hell, heres your gun, fight your way out". But When i start a new game in Doom3, it at least 10 minutes before i see any kind of action at all. Then im constantly being interupted by cutscenes and having to listen to ghey voice logs.

If i wanted to watch a doom movie, I would go see it in theatres, why does every big name game have to be a hollywood production now.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #21
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

I liked Quake 1 more than Quake 2. I liked battling crazy monsters more so than these "strogg" guys. And Quake 2 didn't have the god-awful soundtrack by Trent Reznor that somehow fit so well with Quake 1.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #22
welshfreak
: )

I played Quake 1 at a friends's house on N64 and I own Quake 2 on N64 too. They are both very competent games and I love the controls the best. I wouldn't say either were better than the other.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:32 AM   #23
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Quake 2 on N64? ugh.....
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 AM   #24
Seska
Slurp

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
To make sure i dont sound like a total retard...
I just dont understand the rest of the western world i guess. People hail the stories of Doom, Halflife, Halo as being the greatest epic tales ever told. But the FPS is a crappy way to tell a story through if you ask me. Even my old favorite game Shogo told an anime like story, but i never got into it. I just couldnt relate to a FPS.
FPS aint really about the story. Half-Life 1 and 2 can be told in 2 sentences, and the same goes for the likes of FEAR, any Quake game, or any Doom game.

What FPS games are about though, is atmosphere. That is the thing that set the standard with games like Quake 2 and Half-Life 2, which set you in a massive sprawling world where something isnt quite right. Games like Doom 3 and Fear have no story, but fill you with sension and a sense of unease. All the pointless voicemails and logs add to that.

There are a few FPS with great stories to tell, sadly they are far and very few between. I urge you to check out Thief 2 and Thief 3, and System Shock 2. Hell even Deus Ex 1.

However, they might not be quite for you, as progression through these games is pretty open-ended. To me, however, that is half the fun. Theres nothing quite like looking at a fortified mansion in Thief, checking the patrol paths, tossing a grappling hook onto a balcony of your choice and hoisting yourself up into the Den of the Lion to pilfer some valuables while trying not to get caught.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #25
Alucard

Thief 2, Deus Ex 1, both games are made out of gold.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #26
Nindalf

lol no wunder their unplayble lol am i rite or am i rite
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #27
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

the first impression i'm getting from people that this is a cool game.

i dont know what cool refers too.

but maybe its better than quake 3

i personally loved quake 3, but it was a love hard earned, i played it out of boredom and over a few hours of play it started picking up.

i dont know if i'll get it yet- i'll wait for more impressions before i commit.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:29 AM   #28
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I always like playing quake 2... I guess that's because that's the only quake game that I did play.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:07 AM   #29
Seska
Slurp

WEll, Quake 3 was jsut a multiplayer tournament kind of experience. Q4 has focused more on the singleplayer experience, and as such for diehard old Q2 fans, its a treat. as long as you dont come in with high expectations of a FPS revolution, you are served with a healthy dose of straight-up oldschool shooting.

MY only complaint with the game so far are the bits where you are in a vehicle - they are really, REALLY simple and not nearly as satisfying as the on-foot parts, but fortunately you dont ride vehicles that often. :p
Old 10-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #30
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

you know- you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

the stories i'm hearing from people who just got the game is that its a very fun game- like a cross between Q2 and Q3 in gameplay,
a shoot and kill game with good bosses till the end. people i'm talking to are likening it to an updated quake 2.

you know i think peoples expectations are way too high, they demand it reaches the quota on what is supposed to be the FPS standards in 2005,

**** standards- i enjoy mindless fun shooters that has a satisfying feeling, it doesnt need to be the greatest thing since sliced bread- but a good game overall, with that in mind i'm happy.

think back to quake 2 single player mode- i'm happy beans if the gameplay is identical to that but updated into a moreimmesive experience- and apparently the game runs incredibly smoothly unlike doom 3 and fear.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote