The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-19-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Anthrax

Quake 4

Any quake fans here? I think they f*cked up the multiplayer.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Alucard

I was a fan of Quake 2 but I lost interest with 3. Played it for a while, had fun, but then realised I was more a counterstrike person. 4 just looks plain poor. Like they tried to rip off Uneal Tournament too much and failed.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Anthrax

ahh Quake 2 fan? I think you would enjoy the single player in Quake 4, if you like Q2 single player.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

So far from what I've seen or read, the multiplayer is like something from 4 years ago and basically embodies everything wrong with Q3A.

I guess it was an afterthought then. Won't be picking this one up.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:54 PM   #5
Alucard

Ever since they took away the grapple gun, the series lost all meaning for me. That thing was awesome and I could tell you some stories that would have you laughing.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

What makes it suck? I need to know
Old 10-20-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Alucard

Unispiring gameplay and nothing really new. Its just a pretty generic multiplay experience. Theres far better out there. Far far better.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:29 AM   #8
Seraph
>:3

I liked Q3. It was my first taste of arena based FPS's. I loved the genre so much, i have never gone back. Now storyline FPS's just seem retarted to me, and i cant stand playing them.

Q3 was responsible for defining what i love to play.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:51 AM   #9
Agamum

I played the 3rd game back in 2002 and havent played much since,reason Im going blind in my old age.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:48 AM   #10
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
I liked Q3. It was my first taste of arena based FPS's. I loved the genre so much, i have never gone back. Now storyline FPS's just seem retarted to me, and i cant stand playing them.

Q3 was responsible for defining what i love to play.
They can be alot of fun. But theres stuff in single FPS games that just cant be re-created in a multiplayer experience. F.E.A.R is a classic example. As is Half Life 2.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
Seska
Slurp

IVe played some of Q4, and as a SP game, is pretty solid. Sure its a straight-forward shooter, but in variety of levels and envioronments alone it beats FEAR, which is pretty much "run around offices" and thats IT. Dont get me wrong, FEAR still is the better game, but if you are an FPS Fan, there's plenty to enjoy in the SP Campaign in Q4, despite its oldschool shotcomings.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
Seraph
>:3

I wish i could have tried FEAR Flippan behind the car glitch.

HL2 serously gave me headaches. As in the bad kind you have to go lay down for because you think your going to throw up. Whenever i would fall into water, and have to jump on a box to get out, it would take about 10 tried of shaky camera attempts to get it right. And i cant STAND FPS puzzels. The whole reason i play is to shoot people. Ive never run into a puzzle that required actual thinking, they are always time consuming tasks that keep me from shooting.

Maybe im just stupid, but the other thing that made me sick was not knowing where to go. Running into a dead end, backtracking the entire level 3 times over, and after wasting two hours looking on how to continue I get to kill 2-3 more guys, and then run into another dead end. i HATE being stuck in a FPS because i dont know where to go.

I dont really even enjoy playing Arena FPS's online, since 90% of the online community in the world are pen15 12 year olds. I play agianst bots in Unreal2k4, but even bots get annoying, because no amount of strategic strafing, or dodging is going to make their fixed 90% headshot accuraccy lower. The best experince in a FPS is a LAN game. That way your playing agianst human opponents, but nobody has the luxury of hiding behind the internet to say/do what they want.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:16 PM   #13
Seska
Slurp

Well, been playing Q4 for more than a few hours now, and am happy to say Im pretty pleased with it. I havent touched the MP, generally speaking I dont enjoy MP shooters that much (except maybe Battlefield), but as far as the SP campaign goes, its definitely a lot of fun, in an oldschool "shoot & strafe" kinda way.

I'm a little past the part where the Strogg capture you and "stroggify" you. That sequence has to be among the msot gruesome in videogame history - you see your prone body on a gourney of sorts as metal spikes and buzzsaws perforate and sever you alive. The cool thing though is once you get out (saved from total Strogg conversion by your squad) all the stuff on screens that previously looked like gibberish to you, now is readable in a heavily stylyzed way. Youa re also a lot faster, and running at almost twice the speed after spending about 4 hours half as fast, makes you feel like a superbeing.

I can see how people complained about the game being too linear, but lets be honest, even FEAR is just as linear, and people didnt complain about that. At least Q4 throws in a lot of variety in envioronments, something FEAR fails miserably in.

I think most reviewers are giving Q4 a hard time because it didnt live up to the usual Quake expectations and the MP is basically an afterthought, but as it is, the game is better than Doom 3, has fast and frenetic action, amazing visuals and I dont think as a FPS fan you can ask for much more. I'm certainly enjoying it more than I thought I would, after reading the critical reviews.

Its a pity Really, my vision of a perfect FPS game would be the Combat and AI of FEAR mixed with the awesome level design and envioronments of Q4. Maybe for FEAR 2? Hopefully by then they will add more variety to the levels and make the outdoor areas not look like they were pulled right out of Half Life. ONE.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
Alucard

Bah. They give it a hard time bcause Quake 4 doesnt compare to the excellent prequal, Quake2. And if it cant be arsed doing better then it shouldnt be there. Also the MP side is EXACTLY like Quake3. That part confused me because the game in SP moves at a fairly slow pace, as in running movement. But when you load up MP, its back to furious speed ala Q3. Not impressed at all. And whats with the poor character design. It made me twitch.

Seraph, 2 ways to keep you from getting motion sickness in FPS games. I've noticed the higher the res you play at, the less retarded you feel. So dont play anything BELOW 1024x700. You need to also make sure your monitor refresh rate is 80 or above. Anything below that and you'll throw up on your keyboard. Oh, you also need to learn how to play by staring at the centre of the screen, mainly fixed on your crosshair. The more your eyes look around the screen WHILE you are moving, the easier you'll get sick. You'll get used to this technique fairly quickly and learn how to observe the entire screen through your jedi force likw mind training.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:24 AM   #15
Seska
Slurp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Bah. They give it a hard time bcause Quake 4 doesnt compare to the excellent prequal, Quake2. And if it cant be arsed doing better then it shouldnt be there. Also the MP side is EXACTLY like Quake3. That part confused me because the game in SP moves at a fairly slow pace, as in running movement. But when you load up MP, its back to furious speed ala Q3. Not impressed at all. And whats with the poor character design. It made me twitch.
You didnt seem to ahve a problem with the chara design in Doom 3. :p This is jsut like Quake 2 - cyborgs and weird creatures. AS for movement speed, once the plot twists hits, you move as fast as you do in MP.

BAh, you jsut want to hate the game, and you call yourself a Quake 2 fan? :p For shame!