The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-05-2005, 01:52 AM   #16
Hepheastus
I Rule You.

Format of the C: drive and Reinstallation of the OS should be done every six months (ideally) to keep your PC healthy... Plus this way, you can make your Norton/McAffey subscription last for years past it's expiration date since you delete it's registry files... Meaning when it comes to their servers, they think it's a new computer and program installation.

I format mine about every four months since I am strict about my computing preferences. I place everything I need to customize my OS quickly on format into my second hard drive... Hell, I even have a RAID installed into this computer.

Squeeky Clean
They got scared and they put me in, they got scared and they put me in.
All the lies run around my face and for anyone else to see,
I'm alive.

Last edited by Irb_Emina; 10-05-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Hepheastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:20 AM   #17
Alucard

The bets way is AFTER You've formatted and installed EVERYTHING on your PC and you're really truly ruly happy with it, you make a ghost image. Sure this thing will be like 1-2gigs depending on how much crap you've put on your system, but next time you want to start from scratch with most of those same programs, just format the drive and then apply the ghost image with the program and it zaps your PC how it was the last time you did it. Saves alot of time.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 AM   #18
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb_Emina
Format of the C: drive and Reinstallation of the OS should be done every six months (ideally) to keep your PC healthy... Plus this way, you can make your Norton/McAffey subscription last for years past it's expiration date since you delete it's registry files... Meaning when it comes to their servers, they think it's a new computer and program installation.

I format mine about every four months since I am strict about my computing preferences. I place everything I need to customize my OS quickly on format into my second hard drive... Hell, I even have a RAID installed into this computer.

Squeeky Clean
Yeah eventually I thought about that idea too of formatting every so often thus why I was going to format recently. I don't have too much to lose if anything at all because I just copy all my files that I either can't get back (custom photoshop wallpapers, songs I've made, etc) and the rest of the stuff I can get back (mcafee, photoshop which i have on a disk) i just erase with the harddrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
The bets way is AFTER You've formatted and installed EVERYTHING on your PC and you're really truly ruly happy with it, you make a ghost image. Sure this thing will be like 1-2gigs depending on how much crap you've put on your system, but next time you want to start from scratch with most of those same programs, just format the drive and then apply the ghost image with the program and it zaps your PC how it was the last time you did it. Saves alot of time.
I thought about that before. Is it possible to make a ghost image onto a seperate harddrive? For example make a ghost image of my C: drive to my second harddrive on my pc?
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #19
B.B. Gambini
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionetteKazuk
My quota was supposed to be 10, but take it easy it was a joke sheesh. And plus I've only brought it up a couple of times, besides I had a hunch that my pc was going to get viruses but I still helped you out anyways cuz I would think you'd do the same if I were in you're situation. I'm not saying I won't help u out anymore with ur pc.
alright i just thought it was fukked up that you would bitch about helping me out with something when we always hook each other up with sh!t, but if its a joke then everythings good with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
how much space do you think it would take to make a ghost image of 20 gigs? also for if you make a ghost image of your c drive wont it still have all the spyware and viruses it had in the first place? (well thats my main reason for formating)
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #20
Alucard

Depending ont he program, and I'm using Norton Ghost as a vague example, you should easily be able to select which partition to make a copy of and where to store it.

And I'm really not sure how large a 20gig drive would be. It honestly depends on the compression you use. Random guess...3gig? And you owuldnt have the spyware and viruses if it was a fresh install. But for you I'd say scan your system with a few good scanners for each, spyware and viruses, and you'll be fine. Bu if its been a good while since you installed everything, say a year, and you're finding your system is doing odd things, I'd recommend clean format and reinstall. But yeah, if its working smoothly and fast then just scan it a little and then ghost it.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #21
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Alucard is norton antivirus any good? I've heard some say it sucks and that it doesn't work all too well be you seem to be a man who knows his stuff so that's why I'm asking you. Also someone told me that if I have too many antivirus programs on my pc that it'll crash, is that true I don't really think it is.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #22
Alucard

I'm one of the lot who say norton antivirus sucks. Its crappy, doesnt pick up much, and is a resource whore. One of the best ones are PC-Cillin which I've been buying every year for the past 4 years. Love it to death. AVG is the other good one which is free, but doesnt come with some features like firewall and spyware blocker. Retail version does though.

Your PC wont really crash if you have too many virus programs on, but it wont run smoothly either because of all of them acting crazy at the same time and draining all your power.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #23
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Ok then which store would most likely have PC-cillin? I was at Target yesterday (may god burn that place down to the ground) and they had some pc software one of which was norton and they has some other stuff but not pc-cillin.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #24
Nindalf

Amazon?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 PM   #25
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
Quote:
Ok then which store would most likely have PC-cillin?
I don't really want to buy it online but thanks anyway.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #26
Alucard

Not sure what the stores in your area are like.. Basically check all the stores that have PC stuff for sale at. Otherwise grab it from the net.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #27
Vegetto
Alive

try best buy or cuircut city
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:41 AM   #28
Nindalf

Quote:
I don't really want to buy it online but thanks anyway.
Protip: Online stores are stores

But you're welcome anyway.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #29
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I didn't want to make another thread about this but, are there any kind of cables that let you hook up your pc's audio to a stereo? My pc of course just has the regular audio plugs in the back and my stereo has the audio jack just like the kind of the back of a tv where you plug in a dvd player's audio and video. I've been looking around like crazy and haven't found any cables like that, or would it be possible if I could make a cable, i've made a usb charger for my ds so if it's possible to make a audio cable then I'm willing to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
Protip: Online stores are stores

But you're welcome anyway.
I'm aware that Online stores are stores but I'm talking about a store where I can just take like 15 minutes to drive to and back. I hate buy stuff online because I hate having to wait for it to get it and there's always the chance that I'll get screwed over somehow even though I haven't yet *knock on wood*.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #30
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
where I live and when I order from the internet, I get my stuff same day

has long as I order it in the morning I usually get it by Noon with free shipping half the time

I have to order from the internet alot cause I have NO STORES what so ever here! EB is the only store I can go to that is close to me and still thats over 30 mins away!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote