Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Rubeus

New Alleged Details About Microsoft's Next-Gen Xbox Scarlett Emerge

Click for full size

Quote:
New Alleged Details About Microsoft's Next-Gen Xbox Scarlett Emerge

Would you like to be up in the cloud?

We learned the name of the new series of Microsoft consoles back at E3 named Scarlett, but more possible details have emerged from Thurrott.

Thurrott reports that Microsoft is currently planning two different pieces of hardware, one of which will be a traditional console similar to the Xbox brand. The specs are still unknown due to the hardware being in such early development.

More info comes from the second device, which is said to be a streaming box that is designed for Microsoft's upcoming game-streaming platform with the rumored name, "Scarlett Cloud."

The focus of the new generation of consoles is that Microsoft doesn't want you to notice the difference between playing a game using a game-streaming console or a full classic-style console.

However, to do this Thurrott reports that the streaming box will be more expensive than those sold in stores today, but much cheaper overall than buying a dedicated console. This is due to the extra hardware inside that is supposed to help with smoother latencies while streaming.

Microsoft plans on creating the bulk of their revenue from subscription services, as they currently do with Xbox Live, Xbox Gamepass, and digital sales. The current release date for both consoles is sometime in 2020.

It's unsure what the newest games are that will be released on Scarlett consoles, but it is speculated that Bethesda's newest franchise Starfield and long-awaited Elder Scrolls 6 might be two of them, as Bethesda's Todd Howard called Starfield a "next-gen" game.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/07/2...carlett-emerge
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

I don't see how the hardware can smooth the latency. There will always be an input delay. When you press a button, the signal must travel to the server and be inputted into the game and then the stream must travel back to you and show that input. This process can't be eliminated and it can't be buffered.

Cloud gaming is a ridiculous concept for any games where responsiveness is important. The only thing is, the player can get used to the delay. But it will always feel bad compared to the responsiveness of the real thing.

Actually, cloud gaming may be the next fad. They are certainly trying to push it, like they can have Netflix like services when they can't buffer footage. Always trying to scam. Can't they just focus on games for once without trying to sell us useless junk? Cause the problem is that, like VR, development resources are being wasted.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I don't see how the hardware can smooth the latency. There will always be an input delay. When you press a button, the signal must travel to the server and be inputted into the game and then the stream must travel back to you and show that input. This process can't be eliminated and it can't be buffered.

Cloud gaming is a ridiculous concept for any games where responsiveness is important. The only thing is, the player can get used to the delay. But it will always feel bad compared to the responsiveness of the real thing.

Actually, cloud gaming may be the next fad. They are certainly trying to push it, like they can have Netflix like services when they can't buffer footage. Always trying to scam. Can't they just focus on games for once without trying to sell us useless junk? Cause the problem is that, like VR, development resources are being wasted.
The only way I can see streaming gaming working is if you get a portion of the game downloaded to the console. If it's being processed entirely outside your home that shit just isn't going to fly.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
bujeezus

Day 1 release, Crackdown 3! Lol!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
It's like they want to fail if this is true.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I just don't think the country, let alone the world, has the infrastructure needed to make a streaming service seamless. To many of us are stuck with only one provider with sub-par speeds and high prices.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Most of Canada doesn't even have high speed, mostly cities, the fastest in some areas is still DSL with 5mbps. I'm lucky, that 2 years ago, my town finally has faster speeds up to 100 mbps
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #8
Hagane
Unlucky dog

It'll be awesome to have a console where if you don't have internet or a good signal equals as having no electricity.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:35 AM   #9
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto View Post
The only way I can see streaming gaming working is if you get a portion of the game downloaded to the console. If it's being processed entirely outside your home that shit just isn't going to fly.
I mean, if they processed your character enemies and the interactives in your console and the rest came from the cloud, i guess it could be done. But, it would probably get this horrible mesh where the footage your console is rendering is better quality than the one that is being streamed. Not to mention it can be out of sync.

So, yeah... it's a can of worms waiting to be opened that no one asked for. Just greedy suits that don't have a clue what gaming is.