The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 05-29-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
Rubeus

Europe plans ban on plastic cutlery, straws and more

What are you going to replace these with? Biodegradable plastic cutlery, or paper cutlery?

Click for full size

Quote:
Europe plans ban on plastic cutlery, straws and more

Europe is proposing a ban on single-use plastic items such as cutlery, straws and cotton buds in a bid to clean up the oceans.

The European Commission wants to ban 10 items that make up 70% of all litter in EU waters and on beaches. The list also includes plastic plates and drink stirrers.

The draft rules were unveiled Monday but need the approval of all EU member states and the European Parliament. It could take three or four years for the rules to come into force.

The legislation is not just about banning plastic products. It also wants to make plastic producers bear the cost of waste management and cleanup efforts, and it proposes that EU states must collect 90% of single-use plastic bottles by 2025 through new recycling programs.

The European Commission estimates that these rules, once fully implemented in 2030, could cost businesses over 3 billion ($3.5 billion) per year. But they could also save consumers about 6.5 billion ($7.6 billion) per year, create 30,000 jobs, and avoid 22 billion ($25.6 billion) in environmental damage and cleanup costs.

Click for full size

The proposals do not set targets for EU countries to reduce the use of plastic cups and food containers, it said.

"This could result in countries claiming they are taking the necessary steps as long as any reduction is achieved, regardless of how small," the alliance said in a statement.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/28/news...sal/index.html
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
They could just make it law to recycle them instead of banning them.
Probably cause they know how stupid everyone is and won't recycle them.
I still see tons of people just open their windows and throw shit out even tho there is a garbage can/recycle box all over the streets.

Just yesterday I had to pick up and throw out garbage that my neighbors didn't bother throwing out themselves, they just left it and it blew over to my yard..... and they left it there and they saw it. I was going to smack a bitch.

I love that walking a few feet to throw something out the correct way is like the hardest thing they have ever done.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

The amount of plastic in the ocean is getting pretty god damned serious.

I love how my species is so god damned stupid we poison the biggest source of food on the planet.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Yah, it isn't just plastic also, it's everything, people dump anything they can wherever.

Half the crap we buy is extremely wasteful. Why do people buy new phones and TVs every year now? They never donate their phones to people who can't afford them or anything, they also throw batteries into the garbage and their other electronics. Which is worse than plastic, cause of things like Mercury in them and other forms of acids. At least the plastic garbage can be picked up and disposed of correctly.

I've seen people dump oil/gasoline into the sewers before.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Drunken Savior

Yeah, just use metal cutlery and wash them ffs.

California recently started forcing grocers to charge for paper or plastic bags (10 cents per), meaning more people are bringing reusable bags. It's honestly reduced the amount of plastic bags I see littered around our entire state (well, I mostly roam around the northern half of California). It took about maybe 6 months to get into the habit of just keeping reusable grocery bags in the car before it became second habit.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I see no problem here. We stopped using plastics and have really upped our recycling in the last 6 years to the point we take in plastics a fastfood or restaraunts give us home to be recycled. It has become second nature. Visited Florida last week and was shocked at how wasteful that state is. We ordered a pizza and they gave us 6 forks, 6 spoons, 6 knives, and a forest of napkins. I couldn't believe it. Broke my heart to throw it away because we had no means of recycling it.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote