The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
bujeezus

Old pc woes

After finishing up my current build I decided to get my old one back up and running (I scavenged the 1 year old power supply from it for the new system). EVGA had a pretty good sale on a 500w supply for $30. I popped it in and no post, no BIOS, nuthin but fans spinning and a black screen with a flashing cursor. It was running fine before removing the power supply. Took out the RX 480 and tried an old HD 6870 I had in my parts bin. Same result. Moved memory around and reset the CMOS. Nada. Popped in another hd. Not havin it. Frustrated, I gave up. It's not like I needed it to work. Just going to load up some of the older, less graphically intensive games and use it as a back up web browser when my son was gaming on the main rig. I just assumed the old Asrock P45E motherboard had finally gave up the ghost after 9 years. My co-worker knew about it and offered to give me an old pc she had lying in a closet so being the pc packrat I am, I said "Sure!" Turns out it had almost the same exact problem except it would post then blue screen. Lol! Oh well, she was just going to trash it so I scavenged the SATA cables, (the hd was only 160gb) and then that's when I had a glimmer of hope. Could my CMOS battery have died? Popped it out and when I got home, replaced the battery and what do you know? It worked! I had come sooo close to trashing it. Glad I stuck with it. Just thought I'd share. Poor pc section don't hardly get no love no more. Lol!

Old 09-01-2018, 12:35 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
lol I had a thing like that with my brother's PC I built for him.
I hooked up all the cables, everything is good. turn it on. seems fine... then shut down out of no where. Took me hours upon hours of checking everything...……………… then I notice it...….. I forgot to plug in the PSU's cable for the CPU fan...…….. I don't know how I kept missing it.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
bujeezus

My son baffles me some times. While I was finishing up Prey yesterday, he's sitting at the old pc, waiting for me to finish so he can play Destiny 2. I ask him what he's doing and he tells me "watching YouTube." He's got a perfectly capable machine right in front of him yet he uses his phone to watch videos...
Old 09-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
That's kids for you. lol

I got all the kids in my family tablets, 3ds', the switch, PS4 for their own and I have my own..... but nope... they still want to play on my stuff. Their excuse is cause my stuff is the better stuff. cause I have the PS4 pro and a better computer. lol I told them to get a job so they could afford to get their own then.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Classic old PC story. I love it, haha.

Over the last weekend my brother in law asked me to reinstall Windows 10 on his old Gateway pre-built from 2010. No support page exists since Acer bought Gateway a few years back.

Thing hung on every attempt to reinstall (rest -and- fresh install via USB). Couldn't figure out why. Got frustrated and decided to pull out the wifi PCIE card just to get the computer to bare bones. Installed easily.

Guess the installed just got hung up on a 2010 wifi card but instead of just saying 'no drivers found for this device' is just decided to stop trying and stay on a black screen forever.

Now my brother in law has a PC that's slow as heck (5400RPM 500GB HDD), but it does run a Plex server decently so long as it doesn't have to transcode video.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote