The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #601
Joe Redifer
Olé!

OK. Maybe a bit above average. But even when I got the game (right when it came out, BTW) I wasn't blown away. I won't argue if it was the best looking RPG or not. It may well have been. I am not an RPG freak. But RPG's are seldom known for their stellar graphics. The exception being the original Phantasy Star on the Master System which blew me away at the time.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:57 PM   #602
Corona-X
Banned

Skies is bright, colorful, and...not that impressive.

Day one buyer here too ... They were certainly good, but the DC is capable of alot more. The models are a little blocky, and some of the textures are weak... From a stricktly "artful" standard, the game is beautiful, no question. But from a technical standpoint, their a little weak...

Reds right, RPG graphics arent always known as the best. Phantasy Star IV and FF 7-10 are the most impressive graphically imo though.
Corona-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #603
gearhound1
Banned

icarus is slacking again. someone ban him!!
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #604
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I'm slacking? How many times have you said that, about four times? I'm preparing more reviews for this week.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #605
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Icarus's does pleanty of reviews, stop complaining!! I say you make all the complainers pay you for each review. Keep those reviews coming!:cool guy:
Old 04-20-2004, 03:08 AM   #606
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhound-Dead Account
icarus is slacking again. someone ban him!!
are you for real??

god, i was kidding. you actually think i am upset that there aren't any reviews?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:07 AM   #607
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Gearhound, I found it interesting that that person used your avatar and your name to post that other statement up. What's going on here anyway?

EDIT: Tonight, I'll have up one or two more reviews.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-20-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:57 PM   #608
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I agree on Skies graphics. They weren't impressive but the overall game was enjoyable.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #609
gearhound
Versus the World

that was me, icarus.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:19 PM   #610
Joe Redifer
Olé!

How ya liking Dracula X, Gearhound?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:15 PM   #611
gearhound
Versus the World

it's on its way via UPS. i can't wait to play it.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:02 AM   #612
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Tales from the Kabuki side

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - SNES - Rating 9
Konami gets groovy with the first SNES incarnation of their famed Japanese series Ganbare Goemon, a series which has been released across many platforms including the NES, SNES, GameBoy, and PlayStation consoles. Despite its popularity in the land of the rising sun it's relatively unheard of outside of Japan; an enigma along the lines of TwinBee. Why did Konami forsaken this series in the US after the first SNES title, and then later decide to release the N64 version which doesn't do the series justice? Then again, there are many 'whys' that Konami is probably too embarrassed to mention, like why did they allow Appaloosa to rape their high-octane Contra series not once but TWICE on the PlayStation?
I hope you're ready to have major fun because that's exactly what Legend of the Mystical Ninja is -- pure, unadulterated FUN. This game sets itself apart from all others with a unique blend of action/adventure that plays with various Japanese cultural/sub-cultural motifs and does so with a delightful charm and humor which looms throughout this game's entirety. At first glance one might mistaken this for some strange Zelda-meets-Final Fight-meets-Kid Niki sort of mutant relationship turned over on its head (ah, where do I come up with such whacked-out vocabulary? ), but whatever preconceptions you may have going into it will be dispelled, or shapeshifted at the very least, once you've experienced LotMN for yourself.
...And experience it you must for it is among the most luminescent, most exhilarating gaming experiences you'll ever come across on any console! When you start the game you'll see a cinema depicting Kid Ying conversing with Dr. Yang about some mean ghost lady that is causing mischief (this short cinema is done quite amusingly) and the game begins. You start out walking around the village, attacking various enemy characters roaming around such as spear-handling foes and various other strange characters. You can play solo or with a friend cooperatively -- Player 1 controls Kid Ying (Goemon) and Player 2 controls Dr. Yang (Ebisumaru in Japan). Both are similar yet have their share of differences. Kid Ying uses pipes, a spiked yo-yo, and uses coins to throw at enemies, while Dr. Yang uses sticks, a party favor (no joke), and ninja stars, to name but a few differences. You keep an inventory of items throughout your journey which can be viewed by pressing Select, and pressing Start will allow you to select from different 'Jiu-jitsu' techniques (well, not really Judo moves but special things like being able to ride on the back of a tiger for instance). However, you cannot do this until you go to a dojo later and learn the techniques which you'll have to pay money for.
The gameplay is incredible. Zones are divided into two halves: first comes the town/area section and afterwards come the side-scrolling action stage. The first half of the zone is where you'll be able to move around the screen in all directions and battle enemies while being able to go inside people's homes, enter shops and various other institutes, find hidden things like money and secret doors, and explore. That said, you do have a time limit which lasts throughout both halves of a zone. The second half is where the focus shifts entirely to action. These side-scrolling sections are a blast to play and always offer up new locales, enemies, and interesting challenges for you to examine and conquer. Also, there's some hidden areas and items to be found in these sections, so be as thorough as possible.
The enemies are usually cleverly designed such as crows carrying samurai swords and other very strange ones like sumo wrestlers(?) sporting painted faces, bouncing and rolling around.... In some zones you'll be able to move between the foreground and background, which is interesting. There's even a section where you have to rotate a room and then get across the ceiling area. The bosses are a treat to do battle with and, as this is Konami we're talking about, utilize practically every special effect the SNES can muster. A massive head which bounces around the screen and grows larger and larger, a kabuki character that hops around with a huge box on his back, and a transparent ghost lady that floats around balancing plates on sticks. Sounds awesome right? It is. This game is polished to the point where it matches Nintendo's best, and yet it's such an older title (1991)! BANZAI! :bigsmile: There's something.... mystical about it. (Ok, I've truly surpassed myself in corny dialogue this time! )
You think I've just described most of the game to you, right? You're thinking "Oh, so it's just another great Konami action title." To put it mildly, no... not by a long shot! You've never seen so much variety in a SNES game, I assure you. There's shops and restaurants, saunas and inns, fortune tellers, a quiz game show you can participate in, a game center where you can play Break Down the Walls (basically Arkanoid), Hockey (for 2-players only - think Pong), and a stage of Gradius. There's also a maze game where you can find hidden stuff like a 1-up and scrolls, dojos for learning new techniques, a horse race track where you can place bets on which horse will come in first- and second-place, and much more!! I'm telling you, the sheer variety in this game is worth the price of admission alone and, as if that's not rocking enough for you, Konami made certain to make the actual game nothing less than a spectacular gaming event the likes of which you'll never forget. I'm so happy.... Ureshiiiiiiiiiii.....
Even though this is one of the earlier SNES titles it still manages to look better than most everything else for the system, and this is due to the inimitable look and presentation, the solid animation and colorful sprites, and the memorable locales and effects. Truly an accomplishment for what I believe is only 8-MEGS (I cannot confirm this; perhaps you can help me out with this one Joe?). The soundtrack is Konami bliss. It's hard to pick favorites when the entire soundtrack is as Konamillicious as it is here. The side-scrolling action sections of zones 4, 5 & 8 are pretty nifty, and the music for when exploring the maze is a more memorable tune than you can find in most any newer title. That's pretty sad, but I think it's true. If you want a lesson in how to compose a good game soundtrack then you should look here. The sound effects are great, though there's nothing in particular that stands out.
If you were one of the many unfortunate souls who missed out on this game when it first came out, stop everything you're doing, locate a copy and enjoy. Games of this calibur are enigmas, especially nowadays, so you can play this with an open mind to see, hear, and feel the genuine differences between quality gaming and lackluster crap. Legend of the Mystical Ninja is one of Konami's best of all time!!! I kid you not.

Here's a walkthrough ~ http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/...al_ninja_a.txt
See for yourself how awesome this game looks ~ http://screenmania.retrogames.com/sn...snes_0118.html
Care to stop in? ~ http://www.geocities.com/opcfg/main.html

"When did you arrive? At five? Ha Ha Ha Ha... That was a good one." ~ A villager from LotMN

Don't you think Konami Girl resembles Nei from Phantasy Star?

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-10-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:59 AM   #613
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yes, the ROM size is 1 Megabyte (unzipped) which equals 8 megabits. Konami always did amazing things with small amounts of memory! I had fun with that game as well, but I only rented it. It was at a time when I heavily favored the Genesis, so I was biased. But the game is good, weird fun.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:31 AM   #614
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yesterday, while I was playing through Contra III an interesting thought occurred: didn't magazines try and credit Nintendo with changing the music during a stage by adding/deleting different layers of sound depending on where you were in it? Then how come this game (Contra III) is doing a similar but better thing by altering the actual composition depending on what you're going up against next, yet nobody is giving Konami credit? And how about other games that've done similar things with the music such as Strider and Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse? Why not give credit where credit is due...?

I've gotta work a little more on something and I'll have up my first Neo Geo Pocket review tommorrow. Also, look forward to another import review in the very near future, and a new special feature I've got in the pipeline.

See you then. :cool guy:
Old 04-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #615
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
How ya liking Dracula X, Gearhound?
dude, it's fucking awesome. i finally have dracula X, and i am happy.