Old 12-05-2021, 05:06 AM   #1
Rubeus

Sony reportedly working on a tiered Game Pass competitor for PlayStation

I don't think I would need one...

Click for full size

Quote:

PlayStation reportedly working on a tiered Game Pass competitor

It could be multi-tiered and provide access to classic PlayStation games

Subscription services have been steadily rising in the industry, and it looks like Sony may be upping its offering to compete with the likes of Xbox Game Pass. A new report from Bloomberg indicates PlayStation is planning a tiered subscription service that can rival Microsoftís offering, per their sources.

The service is reportedly code-named Spartacus and will offer access to a catalog of both modern and classic games for a monthly fee. According to Bloombergís sources, it will also be available on both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

Itís expected sometime in the spring and will merge the two current PlayStation subscription plans, Plus and Now. Documents reviewed by Bloomberg lay out three tiers of benefits.

The first would, from the sound of it, be the current PlayStation Plus benefits. The second would offer a catalog of PS4 and eventually PS5 games. At the third tier, there would be extended demos, game streaming, and a library of classic games. These would include PlayStation 1, PS2, PS3, and PSP games. (Sorry, Vita.) Bloomberg also reports that Sony is putting resources into expanding its efforts in cloud gaming.

This is certainly an interesting proposal, as the PlayStation has a massive library to pull from across those console generations. It would need to establish a good precedent though, as more recent classic game subscriptions havenít exactly been living up to the hype for some in terms of regular offerings.

The subscription future certainly seems like itís here, though. Sonyís already had Plus offerings and this could bolster them even further, putting some competition to Game Pass. And then thereís the likes of Netflix moving into the space as well. If all of this means older classics can be made more playable, though, Iím all ears.

https://www.destructoid.com/sony-pla...titor-rumored/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:56 AM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Whatever... is my reaction to these subscription services. I don't care about either one.
I only caved and got ps plus cause i wanted the exclusive abilities player cards get from online events in captain tsubasa rise of new champions and cause i could play bots.
So, ps plus to me is basically dlc, extra mode and rewards for one game.