The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #16
Decado

Oh, I thought he was going to upgrade next year or something.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
Alucard

Was he? I wonder how late next year. If its in the first half of the year then its sort of useless buying this card.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #18
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

If he waits he can get the 9XXX Geforce card that Nvidia will put out.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Year to a year and a half is about how long I'll wait to upgrade my card.... When I say upgrade I mean build my next pc, because this one gets passed onto the g/f. She's still running 533 mhz and 178MB of ram :shudder:

Most of those bench's are for 1280x1024 which is my monitors max resolution so I definitely won't be running games at those. 8500 is to get me to catch up on games. Last gen of engines I was able to play with everything at minimum was Cod, UT2004 (sever lag though )

I'll do what I did this time around. I'll try to play the game figure out what I need to turn down and if it's to aggravating I'll just save it for later.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #20
Alucard

Play games at the nice res of 1024x700, remove shadows, disable AA in your graphic card settings, lighting should be on medium to low. Textures always medium, still looks very good on that setting.

Doing all that should bump your fps up by about 10-15 from the numbers in the above graphics. Good enough to enjoy most games. Although you really should of just spent the little extra and gone for the 7600gt for about $120. I mean a year and over is a long time for a temp card. Especially and underpowered one. No chance you can get it switched?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

Im still on a 7600 and I can run Bioshock really well. I have a duel core and 2 gigs of ram as well, so that adds to it, but the 7600 cards are still great for the money.

Armory Link
Catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #22
Alucard

7600gts are definately excellent. And the Unreal3 engine is great. They've always been excellent engines, running at a good detail rate on low end machines. I mean look at what the 360 can do with it lololololol
Old 09-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #23
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Id give farcry a miss.. they forgot to make it fun.

Also dont forget you need at least one Total War game.. I suggest Medieval 2 or waiting for Empires.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #24
Vegetto
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky~
Id give farcry a miss.. they forgot to make it fun.
no comment necessary
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #25
Alucard

Farcry was awesome
Old 09-17-2007, 12:17 AM   #26
AmishNazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Although you really should of just spent the little extra and gone for the 7600gt for about $120. I mean a year and over is a long time for a temp card. Especially and underpowered one. No chance you can get it switched?
For the game type the g/f plays it's a perfect system for her. (Sims, Warcraft(pre Wow), Tycoon games, etc etc) It's really not that bad of a card to catch up with either. You've got to keep in mind I went from a 420 MX to this. That really is a long time not playing games. 64 MB to 512 MB, and 512 MB to 2 GB for a video card RAM, main RAM respectively. Like I said if the game annoys me studdering wise I'll just put it on the back burner for now.

By the time I build mine the 9XXX's should be out and I'll get a 8800 GTS and the big ass power supply it needs for a lot less. I really wanted something with GDDR3 for myself, but I am patient I can wait for it to not cost half the price of my system.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #27
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishNazi
For the game type the g/f plays it's a perfect system for her. (Sims, Warcraft(pre Wow), Tycoon games, etc etc) It's really not that bad of a card to catch up with either. You've got to keep in mind I went from a 420 MX to this. That really is a long time not playing games. 64 MB to 512 MB, and 512 MB to 2 GB for a video card RAM, main RAM respectively. Like I said if the game annoys me studdering wise I'll just put it on the back burner for now.

By the time I build mine the 9XXX's should be out and I'll get a 8800 GTS and the big ass power supply it needs for a lot less. I really wanted something with GDDR3 for myself, but I am patient I can wait for it to not cost half the price of my system.
Yeh it isnt worth waiting for the GDDR3 to go down and besides I dont think that the performance boost is worth that kind of money.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #28
AmishNazi

Yeah but the 8500-8800 performance boost will be well worth it after the 9XXX series come out. Affordable SLI FTW.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24785.html

Hopefully ET:QW will play nicely with my old HW, but with what I've seen ID say lately it should.

- Mark Twain
Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #29
Chronos
fuggit

supreme commander should definetly be on your list. most realstic/technical strategy game i've ever played. can't get enough of this game. running it at a really nice fps now that i turned AA back off in my video card panel. average went from 32 with it on to 41 off, right on with the benchmarks.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #30
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
supreme commander should definetly be on your list. most realstic/technical strategy game i've ever played. can't get enough of this game. running it at a really nice fps now that i turned AA back off in my video card panel. average went from 32 with it on to 41 off, right on with the benchmarks.
You, Reality and I should play a free for all one day. Maybe thanksgiving since I have off from college.