The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Alucard

Fallout 3 Interview

Heres some new crap!

Quote:
How much control over the "camera" when using a third-person perspective will players have?

The game can be played in first-person or third-person. Third-person uses an over-the-shoulder view similar to Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War, that allows you to aim and target things without your character’s big head getting in the way. You can zoom the 3rd person camera in and out and position it vertically, but I wouldn’t say that we’re supporting a full isometric view. The camera is tethered to the player and has collision, so if your character goes through a door or runs under a tunnel, the camera will snap in close.

Some have criticized the PC version of Oblivion for having a UI that was too much like the console game, not taking enough advantage of higher PC resolutions for things like the inventory UI, etc. How different will the UI for the PC version of Fallout 3 be, compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions?

The interfaces will be very similar in terms of art and layout. We are more sensitive to the PC side of things this time around, and as such the default font is smaller than what we had in Oblivion. We have a number of other things we’re doing to make the PC interface better.

The PC version of Oblivion, obviously, was very mod-friendly and there has been enormous support from the gaming community in producing mods that significantly alter how the game plays. To what degree is Fallout 3 for the PC being designed to be just as community friendly?

The data structure of the game as a whole is similar to Oblivion, so theoretically a modding tool in that vein is possible. The issue becomes that it’s actually a fairly significant amount of work and testing to prepare a tool like our editor for public release, as well as making the game work well with mods. We’d love to do it, but just can’t promise it’s going to happen.

There's been some "controversy" in various gaming forums from fans of the first two games that have reacted very negatively to the direction they perceive this game to be going, relative to the original games. Have you seen any of the negativity and what has been your reaction to it given that this game won't even be released for another year?

I read lots of message boards all over the place, even if they’re negative. I find that even the negative reactions vary quite a bit. You definitely get some people that start to get a bit maudlin or melodramatic, but you can also find a lot that are well-reasoned and very deeply passionate about the series. I think whenever you have something quality that can whip people into a frenzy, it’s a good thing. I would be much more disappointed if we were simply ignored.

Do you think many of the concerns fans of the original Fallout have voiced will be assuaged when they're able to get their hands on the final product?

That’s the hope of course. As you mentioned, there is quite some time to go before this game is actually out there, and we’ve got a lot more info to reveal in a desperately slow trickle, as we’re (in)famous for. I do believe strongly that we’re making a worthy successor to the originals, and I hope that becomes more and more evident as the Big Picture reveals itself.

What aspects of Fallout 3 are you concerned longtime Fallout fans may not embrace as much as you might hope?

Can I just forward you a list of every feature in the game? I’m sure that for just about every feature you could name that we might consider changing for Fallout 3, you could find someone for whom that feature sums up everything that’s quintessentially Fallout. To give a direct answer, I think VATS is probably the feature that we knew would cause the most stir when we were working on the idea. Doing something that’s relatively new is always a risk. When most people think of turn-based and real-time as opposite ends of the same spectrum (something I disagree with), we knew it would take a while for the message of why we think VATS is a great idea to take root with people.

That last bit I love. They knew people would get super pissy with yet they did the change because of the console crowd yet WILL NOT admit it. I hope to god the 360 version gets less sales. Far less. I doubt it though. More people are bound to buy it because it looks pretty and its from the pretty oblivion people, then it is for pc gamers who look at it and say lol butchered and walk off. Oh well hope for the best that the game comes out good. I mean in all fairness it CANT come out crap. Bethesda havent really made a crap game. Just games with dodgy features.

I really do hope they put in the construction set. I think they're pissed that the PC community changed and fixed everything that was shit about oblivion, from the UI HUD to the character models and other textures. If they dont end up making the set for Fallout 3, it'll be because they're a bunch of cry baby girls who dont like their work changed.

3 pages worth, I just pretty much pasted up 1 page with the important stuff.

http://www.gameshark.com/features/37...-Interview.htm
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Can't wait for this one. Might even be the first game I play on my new PC.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Alucard

pffft. There will be many more before this game comes out. You should be playing The Witcher in a few weeks time, and also Jericho.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Decado

Bethesda are making fools out of themselves. They should stick with ruining their own franchise.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
pffft. There will be many more before this game comes out. You should be playing The Witcher in a few weeks time, and also Jericho.
When I posted that I was assuming I was getting a PC in May, but that may be changing now.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote