Playstation 2:
  • Maximo: Ghost to Glory - PAL
  • Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - PAL
  • God of War - PAL

Playstation:
  • Vagrant Story - PAL

Nintendo DS Lite:
  • Hardware Review

Last edited by tpfkanep; 12-06-2006 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Cheese it, and enjoy it
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 AM   #2
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Gamecube:
Resident Evil... FOUR!
Playtime: ~ 15 Hours. Disc 1. I last died while on some underground train looking for something to "feed the lion".

I'll start by saying that I hate and despise this series. I played one on PS1 (can't remember title) - hated it. Played (...loading...) RE:0 (...loading...) on GC (...loading...) - hated it. Sold that one as fast as I could. When I heard all the rave reviews of RE:4, I told myself I would wait for it to drop to a decent price, then I'll buy it to see what the noise was all about. I bought it for $29.00 on ebay... the next day it was on Player's Choice for $19.00.

Loaded up the game. Thoroughly enjoyed the 1st level. For one, no more friggin loading screens whenever I open a door. Stages are now organised in sections which is loaded all at once. About the biggest improvement is in the control of the main protagonist. But that is about it in this game with it's derivative gameplay. It plays about the same as that PS2 game: Ghosthunter. There I was looking for something to make this game worthy enough for someone to go and chop his head off, but there was nothing. Anyone who has played Ghosthunter will know that RE:4 is really a ripoff of that average game. It is an excellent ripoff tho, which improves on that PS2 game in all areas, altho Ghosthunter could shoot and run/walk at the same time, IIRC. Our hero Leon is only about a year in the force, and has not yet mastered that technique, altho that shortcoming makes the game a lot more fun for me.

Music and atmosphere is great, altho I would have loved a better implementation of the music: Whenever there is a bunch of ppl/monsters to kill, the sound changes. Finish them off, and the music changes to something more sedate. And that is about how the game plays: Get into a section, blast off the enemies. Collect what you can. Move on. The addition of cutscene and ingame button presses at certain times (even during boss fights) are quite annoying, and also very unique at the same time. I refuse to mention anything about the president's daughter... "Don't worry Ashley, I'm coming for ya!".

I do think that RE4 is a step in the right direction for the series. I never once really felt any type of fear whilst playing. The fear factor in this game reminds me of Eternal Darkness: initially interesting, but gets long in the tooth very quickly.

A lot of ppl were encouraged to get a GC for this game. There are way better offerings on GC than this derivative action adventure with RPG-like elements. If you have never played GhostHunter before, then by all means get RE4. It's now only $19, and well worth it.

Graphics:
Sound:
Gameplay:

What other said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelade
I was drawn into the hype, but when I truly examined the game, I found nothing special. As a final note, I found the first 10 minutes to be much more enthralling than the last 10 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
Overall - 8.6
Wow, it's lower than everyone elses' ratings here, well the point is that I like this game and if you round up, you still get 9, so I can't be that far off. I actually borrowed both this game and a GCN from my friend and EB is selling GCN's for $60. This game is currently $50 so I might consider picking this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
If you own a GameCube, you must own Resident Evil 4. That's really all there is to it. I couldn't put it down for almost an entire week -- That's how good it is. There's tons of substance behind the intoxicating visuals and secrets galore to keep you busy for hours on end. As of this very moment, RE4 is probably my favorite GC title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
Overall experience: 10/10
Resident Evil 4 is mind blowing. I have never experienced a game this intense before. If you disliked the controls of previous games in the series, or if you have never experienced Resident Evil before, you owe it to yourself to play Resident Evil 4. This game alone is worth purchasing a Gamecube for. Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games of this year and this generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Wrap up:
This is probably the best game for the Gamecube. Do not pass this up. It is worth owning a Gamecube for. It is worth owning NOW. It is a quest game that I didn't get bored with. That should tell you something. This game rocks HARD!

Last edited by tpfkanep; 05-19-2006 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
tpfkanep

Pokemon Colloseum - NTSC
Playtime: 99+ Hours. The clock does not go higher than 99 Hours.

I would never have thought I would one day play a Pokemon game. Saw it on budget price and thought I would give it a bash. Initial impression: It's too easy. I have been playing for ~ 1 Hour and have not yet lost a life. Hmmm... I gave it some more TLC and before long, I was hooked. I finally got the gist of: Gotta catch them all!

Pokemon battles are absolutely wonderful 2 on 2 affairs. And they are the most important aspect of this game. The battle engine is simple, but is actually quite deep, and very elegantly implemented. Not deep in a WTF?!?, micro-management style, but more of a fun deep. You can have a maximum of six Pokemon in your party. Matching these are crucial to your survival in the game. You start of with two of the critters. And as you progress, you have to catch other "evil" Pokemon (only by battling other trainers) and go thru some purification process, which can take anything from 1 sec to 1 hour. Once purified, a Pokemon regains all their moves and can get to evolve like the other Pokemon.

Catching these dark Pokemon is tricky, fun and frustrating. Once you have some Pokeballs equiped (you can only catch the dark Pokemon with these - and there are various types to buy. Some more successful than others at snagging the dark Pokemon). Battle animations are absolutely stunning. The amount of lavishly animated polygons betsowed on the Pokemon makes every battle a pleasure. And something to look forward to. Again and again. Purifying your Pokemon can get tiresome at times, but it is well worth it. In the end I managed to purify ~40 Pokemon.

Maybe not a game for everyone. The RPG elements are a bit light. And the story is blegh. But the awesome battles are what makes this game great. Play without prejudice.

No comment on GBA connectivity-sh*t.

Gameplay:
Graphics:
Sound:
Old 02-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I'm playing Pokemon Red right now and am thoroughly enjoying it. It helps that there's a girl at my school that understands that a game can be fun regardless of its targeted audience, so I can trade with her.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
tpfkanep

Maximo: Ghost to Glory [PAL]
Playtime: Unknown [55% Game completion].

The shift from 2D to 3D was, and still is, problematic for most developers. The staple of the 8- and 16 bit days, 2D gaming is seen today as backward, and only of interest to those with rose-tinted spectacles who long for "the good old days" (tm). But once in a while a developer comes along and confounds even the most ardent critics of 3D gaming by producing games where the transition from 2 to 3D is seamless: Mario 64 [from what I've heard], Metroid Prime, and, the title of this review: Maximo. Obviously there are others too.

What a game. What a hard game. What a friggin' hard game. A lot of gamers have bemoaned the difficulty of this game. Not without justification. One thing about it's level of difficulty that has me always coming back for more: I know I can beat it. I dunno how the designers managed to finetune the game's difficulty, as the enemy AI is nothing to write home about. Infact, it's nonexistant: Enemies always appear at the same spot. Exhibit the same behaviour and patterns. But it takes some skill to overcome the blighters and smash them to smithereens. Timing of your attacks is of the utmost importance, even with the most powerful of powerups (of which there are many). Each powerup of weapon/shield/armour is available to you for a limited time. Armour is linked to your life. Get hit, and your life bar reacts in the now well known way. Shield can only take so many hits before being destroyed. Your sword, once powered up, can only be used to slash so many enemies before reverting back to your standard weapon. Lose a life = lose all your powerups. You do have some kind of bar at the bottom of the screen, where you're allowed a limited number of slots for some permanent powerups, but they are never enough. As you progress more slots become available. Choose wisely how you're gonna utilise those slots, and dying in the game is less of an issue, but still an issue nontheless.

This is the first action platformer I have played where the collect-a-thon staple, coins, have to be wisely used. You wanna save? Well show me the money (100 coins). You wanna buy some armour? Life? Boxer shorts? Moolah please, or nothing! And to make matters worse, money does not grow on trees. You have to fight nail and tooth to get those coins.

Level design and attention to detail are brilliant. Music is atmospheric and does it's job. Kill a boss, and you have an option to Save, Get armour, or some kiss from a witch... I am not so sure about the saving bit... I think you have to play the next level, and only then can you save.

There are some camera problems, but nothing that deters gameplay. The platforming bits are also not a walk in the park either. Environmental hazards, together with those pesky enemies make your life a living hell. This is definately not a game for those with no patience and dedication. Every level requires a very high level of concentration. This is no mindless slashfest of a game, and you need great timing, eye-hand-coordination and all the skills you have mastered over the years playing games will be put to good use.

Gameplay:
Graphics:
Sound:

A Classic.

Last edited by tpfkanep; 03-13-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

i played pokemon for a while but after they started multiplying so quickly,after making it to gold and silver i gave up.i have many great pokemon if anybody wants them just let me know through pm and we'll work out a way to send the cartidges.

PSN: Beam_626

Twitter: Beam626
Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 AM   #7
tpfkanep

Nintendo DS Lite

I hate portable gaming. The small screen, tinny speakers, recharging of batteries, and... cramped controls. Here I sit. The (proud) owner of a DS Lite. While writing this, I tried to remember why the hell I bought this device, given my loathing of such devices. I cannot for the life of me remember what was the motivation... oh yes! It's the games.

User Interface:
When you boot up the thing, you will get a snazzy, yet simple user interface, where you can setup time, brightness, GBA options, language, username, system colours and a couple of others. All of these functions/options are accessible via the Dpad and |A| and |B| Buttons, and also the pen, which is used on the touch sensitive lower screen. When carts are present, the main UI allows you to start either a GBA or DS game. There is also an auto-start option, which allows your game to bypass the system UI and start playing immediately. Making changes some of your settings requires a reboot of the system, which is annoying.

Ergonomics & Build Quality:
Whoever decided to have a rectangle shape for the DS, needs to be institutionalised. It is hell playing GBA games. I constantly suffer from cramps in my hands and fingers while playing GBA games for more than 30 minutes. Playing with the Dpad is another pain on GBA games. Altho any Dpad is better than the GC one, I just cannot get used to the lovely DS one. Games like Fire Emblem play perfectly. Metroid Fusion and Castlevania is OK. Zelda: A link to the Past and Minnish Cap controls terribly. GBA games that utilise the |R and |L| buttons in conjunction with |A| and |B| is a real pain. I am currently awaiting the GB Player for my GC.

The DS with GBA cart inserted looks ugly. There is an ungainly protrusion in the front of the DS where the GBA cart slots in.

Playing DS specific games is a breath of fresh air. Using the pen as input method is a blast, and beats crampy controls hands down. I see the DS also has [X] and [Y] buttons: Hopefully no DS games utilise those. I have an unopened Metroid Prime: Hunters looking at me, and I am not keen to start that game, due to control fears.

Buttons and Dpad are of high quality, and have a nice and secure feel to them.

Battery Life:
Absolutely brilliant, altho a mini-nuclear plant built-in would have been even better. Charging takes ~ 3 hours from completely flat. I have no idea how playing online/multiplayer affects battery life.

Speakers:
It looks like the DS has full stereo. Better than I expected.

Touch Screen & Stylus:
So far no problems. It has a few hairline scratches due to extended Wario and Brain Training sessions, but nothing serious. I am still awaiting a screen protector, but I doubt that I will install it. The stylus takes some getting used to, but using it becomes second nature.

Connectivity:
Not used.

A neat little system (for DS specific games). Get it.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
Seraph
>:3

Good review of the DS lite.

I agree its mega uncomfortable for traditional games. the corners dig into my palms and start to hurt after a few games of mario kart.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I disagree; it's perfectly comfortable. Different hands though, I suppose.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote