The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Chronos
fuggit

My PC

Surround Sound

CD/DVD+RW Drive

Motherboard MSI Diamond 680i

Video Card - 8800 640mb

RAM

Processor - Q6600

Case (went w/ zach's, credit to him)

Sound

Seagate external 250 gig HD - $70

Thermal Grease - $5

800 W PSU (combo deal with case) $85

Ordered everything today. Can't wait to get it built.

Really tempting to wait for the 9800, but i really need a computer now. every extra day i wait is killing me.

Last edited by Chronos; 08-19-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Daaaang. Should be a nice machine. What'ca going to be playing first?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Take pics? I have never built a computer and I'd like to see a pic by pic detail of how it's done. (It's not confusing, but I'll have more confidence in ordering parts if I 'see' someone else building one. That an I'm a visual learner.)

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

Here's how i'm handling it; once i get everything shipped it goes to a computer repair store and then it's their responsibility to get it done. they're charging me $75, which i think is fair. in the beginning i wanted to install everything myself but since the only thing ive ever done is swapped VC's on my old gateway machine 5 years ago, i think i should play it safe. i'll take pics of the parts and when they're put together, but won't be able to guide you step by step unfortunately.

reality:CS:S and BF2 to start, also will be playing oblivion since i have a maxed out lvl 45 on the 360, but it wont let me finish the all important last daedric quest since the 360 version is broken in alot of the endgame quests (game freezes after turning in a certain sword in one of the last quest--making continuing past this impossible, ie bricked game). also the pc version is alot better even if the 360/ps3 game worked properly.

a big thanks to alucon who walked me through alot of the decision making process. it's finally on its way and right in time for fall skool term.

Last edited by Chronos; 08-19-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
Here's how i'm handling it; once i get everything shipped it goes to a computer repair store and then it's their responsibility to get it done. they're charging me $75, which i think is fair. in the beginning i wanted to install everything myself but since the only thing ive ever done is swapped VC's on my old gateway machine 5 years ago, i think i should play it safe. i'll take pics of the parts and when they're put together, but won't be able to guide you step by step unfortunately.

reality:CS:S and BF2 to start, also will be playing oblivion since i have a maxed out lvl 45 on the 360, but it wont let me finish the all important last daedric quest since the 360 version is broken in alot of the endgame quests (game freezes after turning in a certain sword in one of the last quest--making continuing past this impossible, ie bricked game). also the pc version is alot better even if the 360/ps3 game worked properly.

a big thanks to alucon who walked me through alot of the decision making process. it's finally on its way and right in time for fall skool term.
Get SupCom!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOWWW
Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

See ya on BF2 man. Vegetto and myself play it almost daily. We can squad up.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Canadacomputers up here does it for 14.99 to put the computer together, but only if you buy the parts from them. Which I will when I get them, they have pretty good prices.

The only other thing I thought about I might need done is quad core/dual core crap CPUs.

Is quad better than core 2 duo? or should I wait a bit and just get a core2?
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I'm not to sure but I think at the most Dual Core is more compatible with everything.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

i wouldn't bother with a quad core. my friend has it and it's good an all but seems like a real waste to have if it's not gonna be used, a dual core would be good enough for me.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

spider, that's a sick price. around here the average number i was getting was $100 for a complete install w/ parts provided. regarding the q6600 versus other processors, i know there are dual cores that can compete if not best the q6600, so do your research. i'm an idiot when it comes to all this. i just went with the best advice i could and also from what i read from tomshardware and similar sites.

reality--definetly will.

ok, received the case and surround sound, and the rest should come this week. also there's good news in that the guy who's installing this for me is coming to my house, so i'll be able to take step by step pics for DS and anyone who's considering a build.

Last edited by Chronos; 08-23-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #11
Alucard

Just wait till you play an FPS with those speakers. You'll shit yourself with joy.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
Chronos
fuggit

you're telling me...the speakers are INSANE. They're my first surround sound speakers and right now i have them hooked up to the TV until my pc is ready. the subwoofer makes stuff vibrate and blood starts gushing from your ears, indicating awesome.

Regarding getting the parts put together, I ran into a little complication--lost phone number of the tech person who was going to do a house call for me so i can snap shots step by step (and learn by watching him), and the only other businesses i can reach either charge too much to come to me or are too expensive. the yellowpages ad i found the guy with has seemingly disappeared. i think it was called computer repair tech, but i can't be sure. if anything you guys'll have to settle with just snaps of the completed pc

one more question. will the 2 gigs of ram i got be enough or should i return them and go with more expensive memory like a 4 gig set?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
if you have the cash, I say just get the 4 gigs, considering more and more programs are requiring more ram, might as well be ready for it when it does. Most games coming out now want 1 gig for recommended
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #14
Alucard

For now 2gigs is way more then enough. You really dont need 4. Down the track if you're BORED then go for it. And you think those speakers sound good on the tv. Wait till you have it plugged to your pc and its running out in high quality sound from the soundcard. Its orgasmic. And dont get me started on DTS sound with movies. Oh man... Just remember there are different settings you have to switch. I dont know if they changed it for the 5500, but the 680, the version it used to be before tweaks, you had to set it to specific sound channels to get surround or digital etc. Would be good to read up the manual and forums online for more info.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Chronos
fuggit

thanks for the suggestions. i'll probably just stick with the 2 gigs and then go from there. wouldn't be a big deal to switch out later anyway.

i'm still waiting on two 120mm case fans. hope that will be enough so i don't have to look at water cooling or anything. finding a decent computer desk is turning out to be a real pain since i don't want to spend over $300 on it. plus i'll need a decent chair but that i want to save up for. for now my wooden kitchen chairs which are pretty comfortable will do...but not for really long sittings. eventually i want to get a really sick orthopedic computer chair.

once i find the computer guy's number (i wrote it down and lost it..should have saved it to my cell) i'll have the thing installed and i'll post lots of gorgeous pics. believe me i've had these parts for a while now and seeing them just sitting around is killing me. resisted the urge to do it myself but it was hard, especially after reading the case manual which has instructions for the PSU, motherboard, and HD, making it seem so simple.

what do you all think of these desks?

($300)

($100)

($300)

Last edited by Chronos; 09-03-2007 at 08:33 PM.