The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 AM   #1
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Upgrade?

I am kind of a dilemma. I want to buy the Orange Box for PC but I don't know how great it's going to run on my PC. I am considering upgrading but I don't know if it's going to help unless I do major upgrade which I don't have the option to do at the moment.

My PC specs:
Windows Vista
AMD 64X2 Core Dual Core 2.60 GHz
2 gigs of Ram
GeForce 6150LE (OLD)

I want to upgrade the graphics card for sure (maybe a GeForce 7800 or a little higher), but I noticed Orange Box requires 3GHz. And I would have to upgrade my processor to do so, and it's not something I can do at the moment. I also noticed Call of Duty requires 2.4GHz and it's more detailed games then Orange Box. Surprisingly, HL2 ran pretty good on the GeForce 6150. Just some slow down on certain areas. I have no idea how Portal or TF2 would run on my PC though.

I was thinking of ditching Vista, but it came preloaded into my PC and I did not get a key-code with it. So I will lose it for good, and I am not sure if I want to do that. On the other hand I am not sure if I can run a DX10 card on my current PC specs.

I guess I can run Orange Box on lower details. :/

Also I just beat HL2. Game was awesome. One of the best games I played in awhile.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam

Last edited by Sinful Sam; 10-16-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
you're fine, I have a computer with a 9600 pro and it ran the game on low to med fine. portal and TF2 runs on the same source engine HL2 does other than some tweaks.

but yah get a new 3d card, if you don't want to spend that much more, the 2600 is the best cheap 3d card out there IMO next to the 8600 for it's price, my brother has a sapphire 2600 XT 256MB GDDR3 and it runs the game awesomely! Only costed him 110 dollars CDN.

Also great news about the 2000 series of Radeons is that they are already PCI-E 2.0, which means if you run them into the new motherboards with it, they will run twice as fast
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

The Radeon 2600 is pretty cheap at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...b256MB%2bGDDR3
Not bad for $100.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Alucard

Dont go touching ati cards, they always have more retarded problems then nvidia. Your current system should be fine for Orange box. If you can run HL2, you can run the rest. All your specs are fairly good, except that video card. Actually I'm interested to know what motherboard you have. Whats the model.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #5
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I never had problems with ATI cards well I haven't with nvidia cards neither tho

the only thing I hated with the 2000 series is the stupid audio drivers that only work over the HDMI so they're pointless for the majority to use and they made everything think it had to be run over it so I had to disable them in device manager cause I couldn't uninstall them cause it kept asking to install them! AHHHHHH
Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

HP Pavilion a1730n

This is kind of close to what I have.
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Hewlett-...Desktop-A1730N

Last edited by Sinful Sam; 10-16-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
Alucard

hmm...cant find any info on what your board supports in cpu range. At the moment the X2 cpu can go up to 6400, which is classed as a 3.2gig I think. Is that pc new or old btw?

Video card I see is built in, so it'll be easy to just shove a new one in without replacing anything. The lowest I would go would be 8600GT for $120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122033

Otherwise I'd say the 8600GTS would be the better option at $150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127284

Sadly the next best one after that is the excellent 8800GTS, but thats $270. Awesome card though. But money is a problem, the ones above should be good for most games at max, and a few at medium. A few being some of the newer games coming out. Try for the 8600GTS. Just a shame there isnt a 512mb version. 256 is good but old. And the 512mb 8600GT version isnt really as strong as the 8600GTS 256.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
Chronos
fuggit

Don't worry about the processor, I think the 3 gig requirement is referring to single core varients. For example my Q6600 is only 2.4 g, but x4 cores it equals out to alot more power than a single core overclocked P4, at say, 3.4 g.

Just upgrade the video card and you'll be good to go. BTW I was thinking about selling my 8800 GTS, 640 MB version (still has 10 months left on the 1 yr warranty), so we could chat about that if you want to spend in that range, if not the other cards mentioned would be great. I want an ultra so I can run games in 1920x1200 when i get my new monitor.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

Hell i got a 2.3 single core AMD processor and everything runs GREAT. And ATI cards are fine, I have a feeling Alucard's had a bad experience with one of their cards and simply won't use another (I tend to do the same thing). Just don't EVER buy a card based on brand name, you have to read the reviews. Certain models of cards on both sides have major problems.
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Alucard

Actually I've never owned an ATI card. My friends have and I see them with problems now and then, but not really many. The big thing is price/performance. nVidia cards out do the ati's. Even their new flagship card doesnt compare to the new nvidia ones, or even the previous 2 lines. Its pretty sad but they lost their competitiveness. 9800pro was their last great one. Since then they havent been too spiffy
Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 AM   #11
spider-prime

I was reading that Nvida gave their hats off to ATI for the 2950XT cause it out did their 9200 card. I'll try and find the article. Not that it sucks but it scored higher marks by a bit.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-defeat-g92-vs

here we are.

Personally if you're thinking of getting a card, I would just wait for these 2 babies to come out in the next few months.

They may run on PCI-E 2.0 but they will run on older motherboards cause they are B/C with them. But they just won't be as powerful.

ohh looks like Nvidia put up the power from the first outing.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...2-scores-outed

THese cards will use less watts and will also be cheaper to buy which is awesome!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:28 AM   #12
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

So video card it is. I'll have to think what kind of card to pick up.

I have the money to buy a more higher-end card but there are some things I am kind of saving up for. But on the other hand a better card would last me longer.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 AM   #13
spider-prime

if you're going to buy high end just wait for the geforce 9200 and the radeon 2950

They're supposed to be loads better than what is out now.

But if you can't wait and want one just see what chronos has to offer then
Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #14
Alucard

If you can just wait a few months and buy the card off chronos that he has. He'll do you a better deal then the shops at least. You'llkeep that card and run most games at high detail for the next 3 years or so.