The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

View Poll Results: Which PS5 model are you buying?
Digital Edition 0 0%
4K Blu-Ray model 9 81.82%
Waiting for more info 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Which PS5 model are you buying?

I know it's still a little early because we don't know the price difference between them both, but I'm just wondering what you guys think. Price difference could be a a big decision factor. I can't see the 4k Blu-Ray 4k model going over $100 more than the Digital Edition.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

We're all old here, we don't like digital. We worry about actually flossin', not perfecting the floss. Younger kids like the digital.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Pretty much. Disks for me when I decide to grab one.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

Buying the one with the drive.

If one sells at least some used games after playing them, the drive will pay for itself.

I only buy digital games when they are heavily discounted or when they are digital only.

I am curious to see if we will have different SSD sizes though, cause i'm not really comfortable with 850GB or whatever that is. I want a 2TB one, if possible.

Last edited by Nem; 06-19-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

One problem with the digital only version is that you're stuck with Sony's store to buy games. They wouldn't be competing with others, and you will miss out good deals on the physical copies.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
who would want digital when you know it's going to be like a vita with their special SSDs and you will have to buy their overpriced ones from Sony and it will have low storage on them still and won't be able to use normal SSDs you can buy from any store that sells them.

300 dollars for 32gb! CALLING IT!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Nem
Smash bro!

I see where you are coming from spider, but they did said they will support third party ones.

With that said, their SSD requirements are so high that there is no escaping the fact they will be pricy.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
They also said that the PS4 would be B/C!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
Rubeus

Obvious choice is the one with the Bluray drive, so you can play your PS4 disc games without re-downloading them.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #10
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
Obvious choice is the one with the Bluray drive, so you can play your PS4 disc games without re-downloading them.
How would you even prove you own the game to download them?
Old 06-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
Nem
Smash bro!

I think he means that if you have physical ps4 games, you won't be able to play them on the ps5 if you got the digital only version. You would have to buy them digitally, if that is even possible on ps5.

If you got ps4 digital games, you likely only need to log into your psn account and transfer licenses.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #12
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The only down side to owning discs is running home from the store, putting that hot of the press piece of plastic into you new PS5 and waiting till next weekend for the 41gig patch to download.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:45 AM   #13
Rubeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto View Post
How would you even prove you own the game to download them?
You just login to your PSN account -- but you may have to pay a price if you want to upgrade the games to PS5 format, not all of them are free.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
You just login to your PSN account -- but you may have to pay a price if you want to upgrade the games to PS5 format, not all of them are free.

I don't think Sony would do that for the simple fact people would pass physical games around to get them linked to their account. Even MS makes you put the disks in the console whenever you want to play them.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I think he means that if you have physical ps4 games, you won't be able to play them on the ps5 if you got the digital only version. You would have to buy them digitally, if that is even possible on ps5.

If you got ps4 digital games, you likely only need to log into your psn account and transfer licenses.
See the thing is he said "without redownloading them" implying that you would somehow have to/be able to, download digital BC copies of your games to play on the digital only console. I might have read more into that than what was intended, but that's why I decided to ask.