The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Rubeus

Google doesn't expect games on Stadia to be cheaper than consoles

So you can't stream a game you didn't buy even for the Pro service? Isn't it like Netflix for "all you can play"? What's the point of using Stadia?

Click for full size

Quote:
Google doesn't expect games on Stadia to be cheaper than consoles

'I don't know why it would be cheaper'

When Google held its reveal event for Stadia, an upcoming streaming service by the tech giant, it left a few questions unanswered. The biggest of those questions was how much it would cost to play individual games on Stadia. From the way everything was worded, it seemed users would need to pay $10 a month for the "Pro" service and then drop more money on individual games. If that was the case, then how much were these games going to cost?

While Google still isn't being clear on the specifics, new information makes it seem like the worst case scenario. In a report from Eurogamer coming from a roundtable discussion with UK press, Stadia chief Phil Harrison implied that games on the service will be equal in cost to games on consoles, coyly stating, "I don't know why it would be cheaper."

According to Harrison, Google can justify charging similar prices to retail games because of Stadia's ability to stream to any screen. "The value you get from the game on Stadia means you can play it on any screen in your life - TV, PC, laptop, tablet, phone," Harrison said. "I think that is going to be valuable to players...In theory, the Stadia version of a game is going to be at the highest possible quality of innovation and sophistication on the game engine side."

Ultimately, Google isn't the one setting the price point for games on its service. Individual game costs will come down to publishers and what they see fit to charge for access to their games. "The publisher or the developer is in as much control of the prices as we are," Harrison clarified, "so it's a bit difficult for me to say what the prices will be right now. But, we're obviously going to be very aware of prevailing prices in the marketplace."

During the UK press event, it was pointed out that Stadia Pro users would be paying for not only the service but for each game, as well. This runs counter to how Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu work. Harrison replied, "We're definitely in a great moment of transition and inflection in the industry, going from an ownership consumption model...Not every developer and publisher is ready to move to subscription yet. Frankly, not every gamer is ready to move to subscription yet. So we wanted to give gamers a choice so they could engage in the games they wanted in the way they wanted - and in all cases, without the very high upfront cost of buying a sophisticated device to put under their TV or on their desk."

I suppose Google is trying to justify its actions by saying the upfront cost is lower, but it is completely ignoring how users are losing a degree of control over the media they'll have access to. The reason Netflix works as well as it does is that the price point is relatively inexpensive. For $13 a month, you get a huge catalog of films. You may not own those films, but you're not being asked to spend an extra $20-30 for specific movies. The catalog does rotate out older films, but physical copies exist and cost roughly the same as a Netflix membership.

With Stadia, you're spending $10 a month to have the privilege of spending more money on games that you then don't own. A free version will launch in 2020 and negate that $10 price, but you still won't have direct access to the games you're buying. You'll also be limited to 1080p streaming, which could be a deal breaker for some. That's on top of no clarification of whether users will retain access once a game gets delisted or if Google will run sales periodically. I know we're a bit too early to have all the information, but you can't gloss over the pricing scheme like it's no big deal.

Google may be serious about wanting to get into the streaming game, but it really needs to do better than this.

https://www.destructoid.com/google-d...s-559081.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Shit like this is the nail that the streaming coffin needs.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Laugh with me, LAUGH WITH ME!

of course this shit was going to be awful. This from the company who said they don't have a political bias and then the leaks started happening. lolol
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:58 AM   #4
Hagane
Unlucky dog

What's more laughable is that the ceos of this companies actually believe that this is the future of gaming just like how vr was.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

They don't care about the future. They just see streaming services for TV programs and think: Oh yeah we could do this for games and rake in all the moneys!

They only care about the moneys ofc. That's all they see.

They don't even understand that games are a fundamentally different experience.

And to the fools that might think this is a good idea, realise this:
  1. A new console costs about 400 dollars/euros and last you about 5 years. That's about 80 dollars/euros per year and your games are yours to keep forever. Or you can even resell it when a new console comes out.
  2. This effin new service is what? 10 dollars/euros a month? That's 120 dollars/euros a year! And of course, you don't get to keep anything as yours forever.
  3. So, you will be paying MORE for LESS! 40 dollars/euros a year more! This not even taking into account that it will be laggy, cause there is no way around it, so you even get a less responsive gaming experience!

It's just what greedy execs like and fools fall for! Here, have some shit on a new package and eat it like a nice little piggy!

I wonder what people would say if they realized that this Stadia costs 600 dollars/euros compared to a new 400 dollars/euros console. I really damn hope that shit fails spectacularly.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
bujeezus

I don't see any reason to be even remotely interested in this "service".
Old 07-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
Paper exe
Pwnd

I hope it fails too.

I think physical copy and permeant cross console account is the only option forward.

And even the account should be limited to provide services like online play, social forums or most importantly trophies. Not a formate to buy and play games.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote