The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
Alucard

Starforce creators threatening to sue

gyahahah they are so full of it.

Quote:
StarForce threatens to sue me for criticizing its products
A company that was criticized on Boing Boing has threatened to sue me, and claims to have sworn out a complaint against me with the FBI.

Yesterday, I posted about StarForce, a harmful technology used by game companies to restrict their customers' freedom. StarForce attempts to stop game customers from copying their property, but it has the side-effects of destabilizing and crashing the computers on which it is installed.

Someone identifying himself as "Dennis Zhidkov, PR-manager, StarForce Inc." contacted me this morning and threatened to sue me, and told me that he had contacted the FBI to complain about my "harassment."

If you're looking for reasons to boycott StarForce-crippled games (besides the obvious ones), you might add their use of bullying legal threats to your list.

Date: January 31, 2006 9:55:40 AM BST
To: "doctorow@craphound.com" <doctorow@craphound.com>
Subject: StarForce Response to Cory Doctorow

StarForce Inc. response to Mr. Cory Doctorow

Dear Sir, calling StarForce "Anti-copying malware" is a good enough cause to press charges and that is what our corporate lawyer is busy doing right now. I urge you to remove your post from http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/30..._malware_.html because it is full of insults, lies, false accusations and rumors. Your article violates approximately 11 international laws. Our USlawyer will contact you shortly. I have also contacted the FBI , because what you are doing is harassment.

Sincerely,
Dennis Zhidkov
PR-manager
StarForce Inc.
www.star-force.com

Here's my reply: "Thank you for your response. I have appended it to my original post and have forwarded it to the Chilling Effects project to be part of the permanent record of abusive attempts by companies to silence their critics." Link

Update: Looks like this isn't the first time Mr Zhidkov has sent legal threats to critics of this company -- check out this email he sent CNet, which opens "Dear Sir, calling StarForce 'nefarious Rootkit/Virus' is a good enough cause to press charges. How do you like that for a start?" (Thanks, Alexander!)

Update 2: Fiona sez, "I just contacted a friend who works in the testing department of the UK branch of the worlds largest games publisher, and they hadn't heard of it! I now think they have the (very healthy, by all accounts) fear of god about what this thing could do to peoples systems. They're testing a third-party game that uses it, and have found the drivers on their test box. They're not happy about having it on an open test system,"

Update 3: Avi sez, "Their business seems to depend on people not knowing how much they suck. For example, I was on a private beta list for a new game I won't mention by name due to NDA -- but the game authors agreed to drop StarForce after an outcry from the community. You don't often hear the stories about game developers dropping StarForce in favor of their customer."
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/31...hreatens_.html
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
FoolishOne9k2
Don't Hax Me Mr. Mod

welcome to america. you can be sued for anything, and everything. heck even your opinion can get you sued, or even facts.

if any of your are terrorists, please target the starforce headquarters. ohh wait i might get sued for this. ohh well.
FoolishOne9k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Hepheastus
I Rule You.

Their email sounds like "Stop making fun of me, I'm telling mom because you broke 100 million laws".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce
wikipedia=god... almost.
They got scared and they put me in, they got scared and they put me in.
All the lies run around my face and for anyone else to see,
I'm alive.
Hepheastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Bwahaha. So if people don't say nice things about them they'll sue you? Haha a loser company. *waits for e-mail*
Old 02-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
least it can be removed, wiki has a link for it: http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
gotta love noob companies who have to brute force to sue cause they get pawnt by the media.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I like melware. I love Starforce! I want my commission check by next week for praising you
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Seraph
>:3

For a second i read the title of this thought "NEWS ON A NEW STARCRAFT GAME!"

disapointing.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote