The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 03:04 AM   #1
Rubeus

PS5 manufacturing costs pushed to $450 per unit, Sony facing pricing difficulties

If Switch and even iPhone production was impacted by coronavirus outbreak, I don't see why PS5 would not be impacted.

Quote:
Bloomberg: PS5 manufacturing costs pushed to $450 per unit, Sony facing pricing difficulty due to competition and scarce parts

Some features planned for camera reportedly cancelled due to DRAM shortages.

Scarce components have increased manufacturing costs for PlayStation 5 to around $450 per unit, according to a Bloomberg report citing “people with knowledge of the matter.”

Whereas Sony Interactive Entertainment typically finalizes a console’s price in February of the release year, followed by mass production in the spring, Bloomberg reports the company is taking a wait-and-see approach with PlayStation 5.

PlayStation 4, which was released in November 2013 for $399, is estimated to have cost $381 to manufacture. If PlayStation 5 has a similar gross margin, its retail price would have to be at least $470.

According to Bloomberg, Sony Interactive Entertainment’s biggest struggle is securing a reliable supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, as both are high in demand.

Some Sony Interactive Entertainment staff think the new console should be sold at a loss if necessary to match the price of Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, as the platform would profit from game software and online service sales, while others would prefer the hardware make a profit from the get-go, says the report.

While most of PlayStation 5’s components are reportedly locked down, including the “unusually expensive” cooling system to “make sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isn’t an issue,” Bloomberg cites “several people with knowledge of the matter” who said that some previously planned features for a new mirror-less camera have been cancelled due to the constrained DRAM supply.

The coronavirus outbreak has reportedly had no impact so far on preparation for PlayStation 5 production, Sony Interactive Entertainment has apparently yet to decide how many units it will make in the first year.

Bloomberg cites “people within the PlayStation business” who said a key factor in determining the price point of PlayStation 5 will be how Microsoft prices Xbox Series X.

The outlet also reports that many of the games launched for PlayStation 5 will also be available to play on PlayStation 4.

There is reportedly pressure from Sony Corporation CFO Hiroki Totoki to provide more transparency and information in the lead-up to PlayStation 5’s launch this holiday season, which has led to some internal distress. Totoki said that Sony’s plan to provide guidance on the gaming business outlook for the new fiscal year is no different from the recent past, meaning said guidance can be expected at the end of April.

Outside of PlayStation 5, Bloomberg reports that Sony Interactive Entertainment also plans to release a new version of PlayStation VR sometime after PlayStation 5 goes on sale.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/bloo...d-scarce-parts
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Personally, I rather have a bit weaker console that is cheaper than a expensive one more powerful console.
I have my PC to play more demanding games.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
Rubeus

Why is $399 always the sweet spot for console launch? It should be adjusted to inflation, if it was $399 for PS4, the launch price of PS5 would be like at least $450 with inflation.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I miss when consoles were around 200 dollars and handhelds were around 50-100 dollars. ahhh the good ol days.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

I say remove all camera features. Sell seperatly, don't shove it down people's throats. Smooth gameplay is more important.
Also, for the love of god, stop with the VR BS!

Last edited by Nem; 02-15-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
spider-prime

but but, streamers love VR!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
Hagane
Unlucky dog

VR is still a thing?

Surely they'll be releasing a more affordable version of the console without all the unnecessary junk, worse case removing retrocompability if it does have it like what happened with ps3.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
spider-prime

PS3 apparently had extra hardware to make it run PS2 games right. But, we all know that they could have kept it in, they just wanted to resell PS2 games. Which they barely did.
The other real reason was cause they didn't want to pay to support older games in terms of tech support.