The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 10-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Rubeus

PS5 has only 665GB of free space on the SSD for games

This is expected, now we need to know the price of an external SSD storage? Would it be $200+ like the XSX?

Click for full size

Quote:
[Rumor] PS5 has only 665GB of free space on the SSD for games

200GB of the PS5 is used for the OS and other things.

The PS5 SSD is fantastic when it comes to speed but when it comes to size, users are going to struggle. According to the same leaker who posted the PlayStation 5 boot-up sequence, stand and UI images, the console’s OS and pre-installed software takes up around 200GB of space. This leaves users with only 625GB of free space on the SSD to install games, record captures and store save game data.

A post on ResetEra reveals the free storage space is actually 665GB. This is 40GB higher than the Reddit leaker claimed it to be.

Keep in mind that this is still unconfirmed so take it with a pinch of salt. However, the Reddit user who claims to have the PS5 in his hands confirmed that his unit has 625GB of free storage with nothing else installed on it. This means that 200GB of the SSD is allocated to the OS including the pre-installed Astro’s Playroom. We also don’t know what else Sony has installed on the console for us to experience on launch.

Keep mind that like all storage devices, the PS5 SSD is also not technically 825GB. You know that when you buy a 1TB HDD it is not actually 1TB of data. The PlayStation 5 SSD is most likely 780 – 800GB of actual storage. This means the OS takes up quite a chunk. Sony may also use part of the SSD for other system management tasks such as quick resume and background processes.

Again, this user has yet to share any real proof. He is holding it all for ransom and is only prepared to share more information if people pay him. He could be a scam artist so take this news as it comes. However, the 625GB of free space sounds plausible given the console’s OS. Microsoft revealed that the Xbox Series X, while shipping with a 1TB SSD, only has 802GB of free space so this sounds about right.
Related

https://www.glitched.online/ps5-ssd-...torage-rumour/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Well... you can always delete Astro's, but getting an external on the PS5 is pretty easy and it adds to the storage, it doesn't replace it.
Just need to wait for prices to drop, since they aren't proprietary, it will happen by the time i need more storage, i bet.

Still disappointed though. I would've thought they planned for the OS in some kind of internal memory, since it's all inbeded in the motherboard.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Yeah, I feel like PCIe Gen 4 NVME SSDs will become more mainstream near the end of 2021. Right now, Intel's desktop (Comet Lake) doesn't even support PCIe Gen 4, that will change with their new lineup that released Q1 2021 (Rocket Lake). AMD's Ryzen line has supported it for awhile.

Still, make sure to remember to check if Sony has approved a particular model of Gen4 NVME SSD before buying. They seem to be really strict on what they'll allow since they must all meet their read speeds of 5.5GB/s. Don't wanna be that person who thinks they scored a 'good' deal on a SSD for their PS5, only to find out that you can't even store PS5 games on it.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

Thanks for the concern, but i wouldn't be that reckless with my money. Sony will be releasing a list of recommended ones post launch. The compatible ones will likely have an indication of compatibility with ps5. I wouldn't risk buying anything that i wouldn't be sure it works.