The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-05-2005, 02:28 AM   #121
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Good review. One of the gifts you find actually is useful, sorta: the camera. You can take snapshots and save them to your memory card. I just can't understand why Namco would pass this title up in PAL regions....
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #122
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Xbox

You know, I said that I was gonna review those other games, but since I have it now, the Xbox is getting reviewed. This is another console that I don't own and how it stacks up to the other two consoles this gen, well lets find out.

Design - 7
The Xbox is kinda big, well it isn't that much bigger than the NES last time I checked and I liked the NES design. Aside from it's not so intimidating size, it's got a pretty decent design. It has a broadband ethernet adapter, hard drive, and dvd player all built into it. So saving games comes quick and easy, and online gaming is ready from the get go, well until you buy Xbox Live. There are also four controler ports for those that want to play with friends.

Durability - 7
This isn't the most durable of the three some may even say that it's on par with the PS2 in durabilty. In most cases with early Xbox's it was, but newer ones, no. Take care of your Xbox and it will take care of you, thats my motto anyway. It also lets you know when it's about to overheat, which is really awsome.

Games - 8
Hey theres Dead or Alive 3 and Halo, no seriously, Dead or Alive 3 sucks but Halo is a different story. It isn't all the Xbox has to offer but it does have it's share of awsome titles and graphically superior ports. I advise everyone to get Guilty Gear #Reload and Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox, they are awsome. Other awsome games include DDR Ultramix 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance, Top Spin, and all Sega games, save for Sonic Heroes. Xbox live is also going along very well, it really is good to play together and theres barely any lag. But I think that comes from being restricted to using braodband only, it also costs $50 a year and the online features of course vary between games. My advice is to also get all Capcom and SNK fighters for the Xbox, save for SVC Chaos.

Graphics - 9
The Xbox has the best graphics rendering between the big three, but there is one serious flaw, slowdown. Sonic Heroes looks best on the Xbox, but it runs better on the GCN. All DDR games have better looking backround movies on the PS2 while the Xbox get's shanked with gritty backround videos, and slowdown on Ultramix 2. Games run at higher resolutions and theres a lot of support for HD pictures.

Sound - 10
The Xbox has the best sound system of the three, and with good reason. Games like KOTOR and Halo have loud and clear sound, other games like JSRF and Guilty Gear X2 #Reload also showcase awsome sound quality.

Controller - 8
They had to fix what was already not broken, there are actually 3 different types of Xbox controllers for the Xbox. Theres the original controllers which are now out of print, the S, and Japan controllers. I used both the S and O controllers and have yet to use the J controller. They work pretty well for fighting games and you also have to break them in, like the PS2, the controllers are pressure sensetive, but they only work better with each use. The L and R buttons are also just like the DC and GCN controllers, thier pressure sensetive but are powered by coils with the controller. I never really liked that too much, I didn't like it on the N64's analog stick either.

Average - 8.2
This is a high quality console and it's making a name for its' self even if Microsoft isn't making much money off it.

Last edited by Messanic; 01-31-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #123
Joe Redifer
Olé!

On the controller section, by "coil" do you mean "spring"? Because I can assure you that it is just a magnet inside the button that tells the controller how hard it's being pressed. The Sega Saturn L and R buttons also worked this way. If you mean "spring", then nevermind.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:17 AM   #124
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Woah! You'd give Xbox an 8 for games? *Looks through library* ....
Old 01-10-2005, 02:33 AM   #125
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Joe, when I say coils I do mean springs. Yes Icarus, games get an 8 and I also explained why. You know, online functions, better performance, better ports, playing with several people and most importantly, Sega games.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:14 AM   #126
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I can understand how it's nice that they've had Sega's support and all that. I was just figuring the score in relation to the currently existing library for the console. What Xbox needs more of is Japanese support, IMO. The system itself is easily the strongest and, therefore, I would've thought that that fact in and of itself would've been enough to lure in more key support. I've heard that SquareEnix already had Xbox 2 dev kits, but I never went about confirming this.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:16 AM   #127
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Chrono Cross

Back in 1995, Squaresoft released Chrono Trigger, and it was one of the best, and most overrated SNES games ever. Four years later they released Chrono Cross, the official sequal to Chrono Trigger. Why do some like this game better than Chrono Trigger and why some hate it, will all be explained in this review.

Story - 7
Your name is Serge, your just some 17 year old kid waking up from some dream, when your friend, who is a girl, bitches you out for not hanging out with her. So what do you do? Well simple, you head out to get her a necklace, from there you head to a beach. She speaks some nonsense and you faint, you wake up, but to your surprise, she isn't around, and to top it all off, when you head back to town nobody knows you. According to them your dead, so you then head to your grave, it turns to be true, from there your adventure starts.

There are a bunch of plot holes and in this game that are explained at the very end and it also tries to rape your mind. The one thing that FF7 has done to the standard for rpg's was make it so that every rpg has to take the Evangelion approach, and that is truly sad. I'll admit that I liked the story up to a certain point, then it started getting all weird on me and tried to rape my mind. The plot holes didn't help either, and I'll admit that there are things that were left unanswered in CT, but they didn't really need to be thought about. After all, CT made sure that there werent any contradictions but rather, thought for a sequal. So when this sequal came out, it didn't expand on what people might have thought to be un answered, but instead, contradicts many things in the first game and add many half assed explanations for what was done.

Graphics - 9
The game is pretty, and looks better than most N64 games ever released, but with that came the ass framrate that 93% of the N64 games had. This game runs at a constant 10-30fps, and sometimes it jumps to 60 and thats just breifly. You can get more jumps to 60fps if you set it to smooth on the PS2 though. Now then, the character and enemy models are very articulate in thier design as is the battle field, beautiful 3d graphics, and if it wasn't for the ****ty framerate, it would be even better.

The Field maps are prerendered but there are some parts where they use 3d models for some parts of these prerendered areas. There are also fmv's in this game, FF7 set the standard for rpg's back in the day, and that was that all rpg's had to be loaded with scenes that could have been done with the game engine but they chose fmv's. The fmv's in this game are pretty, very pretty and do a good job of showing just how great Pixar really is.

Sound - 8
The ost isn't as good as the first games' but thats ok, because this game has some nice tunes. There are a few remixed tracks that CT vets will find familliar, but again, the original tracks from CT are better. The music does a good job of keeping you in this games' world and the new tracks are somewhat relaxing.

Game play - 6
The game nearly falls flat on its face because of the more harm than good battle system. You don't level up but have *lv's, how many stars you have depends on how powerful you can be at that point and time. You can only get a higher star level when you beat certain bosses. Next is the element grid, you can equip elements to your character, just like materia, and they have six different colors, to top it all off, the element weaknesses are the opposites like character red vs monster blue. So red greatly effects blue and vice versa, elements also can only be used once per battle no matter what. The element field is also important since, whatever element is used affects the stability of the battle field.

You can see the status of the field next to your star level in battle. Elements last forever, while consumable elements don't, consumable elements are basically items and can be used up to 9 times in battle, but when their gone their gone. Some characters also have certain elements that can't be removed, these are usually signiture moves to further expand on the many characters' bland personality traits, not that it matters anyway. There are also summons, but you can only use them when the whole element field is that particualar color and they take a star level off. The only way to get a star level back is to sleep in a inn. Next is the weapons, you can build weapons for each character by using parts and money, like in FFVIII.

Lastly, the battles, you have three different attack strengths and three characters, whoever is in front, attacks first. The three attacks that you use have percentages, and the weakest hit easier but linking it up with a stronger attack makes the stronger attack hit better. You also have stamina and can't use elements until you have sucessfully landed an attack on an enemy. A weak hit gets 1 while strong gets 3, and your stamina is also from 1-7, so a weak and a strong hit, takes 4 stamina, leaving you with 4 levels on elements and 3 left on stamina.

Now in all honesty, the battles became a chore because, there really wasn't much to the gameplay, unless it was to beat a boss. There wasn't anything rewarding for the battles unless it was a star level or random stat up, and both of those don't happen too often. It failed miserably at making me think about what to do since using 2 strong hits was all it took from each of my party members nearly every battle, after that, I'd use my strongest element and rape all enemy's that ever stand before me.

Characters - 2
There are too many characters that don't show any character, Serge is a mute, and having other people doing the talking for you is more annoying than you think in CC. The worst part is when he turns into Lynx, he still doesn't say anything and that guy talked a lot of nonsense before switching bodies with him. But like in the Suikoden series, you get to recruit many characters, the only problem is that most of the characters don't have any real substance to them. Save for like 4 out of 45, the rest almost have no involvment with Serge, or the game itself.

Replay - 8
It has a new game + and there are multiple endings, there are also two different ways to defeat the final boss. You also get a time shifter, which lets you speed up or slow down time, this really helps with some of the really drawn out battles and element animations.

Average - 6.7
This wasn't a very good sequal to CT, is it still a good game, yes and no, I couldn't help but feel like the game was a chore. On the other hand, I got to play another rpg that showed off the prowess of the now ****ty rpg devs known as Monolith Soft.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:20 AM   #128
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Did you ever review Chrono Trigger: The Best Game Ever?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 AM   #129
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I have Chrono Cross and I got bored and stopped playing either around the end of disc 1 or the start of disc 2. I couldn't understand what the hype was about, and I certainly couldn't feel any emotion for the characters. When something emotional happens, you need close-ups of their faces and reactions of others, etc. This is another reason I don't understand Final Fantasy on the NES and SNES. When a character dies, they just rotate the sprite 90 degrees and he is dead. I am supposed to relate to that?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:02 AM   #130
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Chrono Cross was an average RPG at best. I played up to Disc 3 and then stopped. It doesn't have holding interest, so I felt like I was forcing myself to play through it most of the time. And, like Messanic brought up, there aren't that many characters who are important. Suikoden is way better.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #131
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Chrono Trigger

This was one of the most overrated titles for the SNES, and with good reason too. Some could even call it the "FF7" of the 16 bit era, it was just that good, and that popular. I love this game a lot and since this is on the PS1 and the SNES, I'll be reviewing both in this one review.

Story - 10 both
Hey, your name is Crono, your mom wakes you up and tells you that the Millenial Fair is around. So like a good little boy, you set out to go there, but before you go, she hands you some spending cash and asks you what your inventor friends' name is. Her name is Lucca, she is also in Xenogears, and unfortunately for her, she dies in Xenogears when Lahan gets destroyed. Anyways, you set out to go to the Millenial Fair, and some dumb blonde decides to run into you, she also lost her medal. After she pesters you to find it for her, she tells you her name and asks if she can hang out with you.

Later on you and Marle, head out to see Lucca's invention, and it worked fine with Crono, but transported Marle somwhere else. It seemed to have something to do with her pendant, so like the bad ass, teenage, mute that you are, you go after her. It turns out that she was transported through time, now it's your job to bring her back, cause your a badass mute. This game deals with time travel and what makes it an awsome game, is that there are no contradictions and everything that was messed with in the past gets fixed when it fucks up the future. The dev team did an excellent job thinking this whole game through. The caratcters are all very lovable, especially Crono, besides Tir McDhol, he is the only mute to ever have any balls in an rpg.

Graphics - SNES 9/ PS1 7
The SNES had some pretty games, and Chrono Trigger was one of them. With every time period you went to, you were treadted to very nice scenery. The monters and character designs were all done by Akira Toriyama, and yes, his artwork is awsome. The game shows off his artwork etremely well and the game also had some actual 3d effects, yes, there is Mode 7 in this game, but there are actual 3d effects, just check out Crono's Luminare, or Magus' Dark Matter spells.

The PS1 version sadly got the short end of the stick though. The anime intro in the beginning and the anime scenes in general, are high quality art, but the framerates are horrible. They move at like 5fps, that's sad, also, on your way to fight Magus, it'll show you an anime cutscene and then you'll go through that same scene in the game engine. But if you leave that room and come back you can see that scene again. The anime sequences also play right before you go through that scene, so that 2 times you have to sit throught the same scene. You can also use the anime fmv bug when you find Robo.

Now then, theres slowdown in the PS1 version and lots of it, I don't know how nearly every big spell performs worse on the PS1, but they do. There is also slowdown on the mountain where you find Melchior, and next, pixellation. The game just basically got beat with the ugly stick when Squaresoft ported it to the PS1. Again, I don't know how, but then agian, the GCN could have handled Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow better than the PS2 could, but that got the same treatment this game did. In the end, CT could have looked better but it didn't on the PS1.

Sound - SNES 10/ PS1 8
This game has one of the best ost's in gaming history, once again, all tunes fit the description of the time and place. The forest theme and the second boss battle themes are just two of the many awsome songs found in this game. The sound effects for spells and monsters all do their jobs and they do them very well. But once again, the PS1 does none of the sound that well. A lot of sfx is distorted on the PS1 version and to top it all off, the PS1 has a better sound system than the SNES does. The sound isn't horrible on the PS1, but it is a step down from the SNES.

Game play - SNES 8/ PS1 7
This game is turn based, but what made the battles more enjoyable than any other rpg's, was that the battles took place on the same screen. You take a pathm and the monsters show up, and the fights start up right there. The battle system was like all of Squaresofts, FF games, but with three people and actually required timing and strategy, well when you were weak anyway. There are some enemies that deal some pretty nasty damage, at some parts in the game, and some techs(magic) could take them out all at once. There were also dual and triple techs, but you only learned these when certain characters learn other single techs, after you win a battle you get them, well if those corresponding characters are in your party.

The dual and triple techs also only show up when those particualr characters are in your party. The only drawback was that you got too powerful too fast, and when that happens, strategy gets thrown out the window, unless your fighting a boss. The PS1 version suffers from long load times before and after battles, the menus and changing areas were also a pain. Again, SotN had super fast loads and that game is much bigger than CT. I eventually got used to the load times at least until I went to my menu.

Replay - 9 both
Both versions are still awsome, there are multiple endings and a new game + feature. I still enjoy the PS1 version, and I know that part of the reason for long loads and other distortions was the fact that this was a direct port.

Average - SNES 9.2/ PS1 8.2
No bais here, this grade was based on quality, and for those of you that will most likely never get an SNES cart of CT for $10, I suggest that you head to Wal Mart. Final Fantasy Chronicles is only $20 and CT can be found along with FF4.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:01 AM   #132
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Super Mario 64 DS

Here it is, the moment that everyone has been waiting for, not. Super Mario 64 was the number one best game on the N64, why, it definitely wasn't because it was a Mario game thats for sure. I wanted to play the N64 version again and review that along side, but I'm too cheap to go out and but an N64. That and I don't love the N64 enough to buy it, no matter how cheap it is. The plot is the same as before, Bowser has kidnapped Princess Peach, but he kidnapped her in her own castle. To top it all off, he's altered the castle to work in his favor, now you have to find 150 power stars to free Princess Peach and return her castle to normal.

Graphics - 8
No anti-aliasing on the DS version, but the graphics are improved from the N64 game. The models in the game have more polygons than the N64 version and theres a lot more texture mapping. Not a bad way to showcase the DS' graphical capabilities.

Sound - 8
The game sounds nearly as good as the N64 counterpart, but for some odd reason Ninty decided to adjust the pitch on Mario's voice and OK it for Wario. Not cool at all, but even still, there are plenty of tunes that will have you humming along and the other sound effects are pretty good.

Game play - 8
I'll get the bad parts of the gameplay out right now, the control scheme on this game, is about as shifty as the N64's controls. Yes, the N64 didn't have that good of a control scheme anyway, and using the touch screen for this game puts a strain on your hands. There are three different set ups, but why change them when the first setup uses the touch screen anyway. Second is the useless map, your too busy playing the game to even think about the map, and not being able to play with 3 others in the same stage is also a real downer.

Now the good, like the N64 version, the controls may be shifty, but with time, you can get used to them. Next is the ability to play as four different characters, you start with Yoshi and have to save Mario, Luigi, and Wario to use them. Otherwise, there are caps that you can find through each stage to turn into that particular character. The fire flowers are back now, and they all have thier special effects for each character. Wario turns into Metal Wario, Mario can float just like in Super Mario World for the SNES, Luigi turns invisible and Yoshi gets fire breath. Mario is also the only one that can use the wing cap and get big, yes, Mario still takes the center stage, but you can't get all 150 stars with just him.

Why there are 150 stars, well it is a port of a great game and Ninty needed some more sales for this game. So they added more stars, there are more hidden stages and such, along with mini games. You can get more and more mini games by catching rabbits, I have so much fun eating rabbits with Yoshi. You can play these mini game with other DS users, and ther cool part about taht is, the mini games are fun. Their not on the lines of insanity that is Feel the Magic, but the games are still very fun. The game is also somewhat easier than the original N64 version, I don't remember Bowser going down after one throw into a bomb.

Replay - 8
Theres a lot to do, stars and mini games to collect and speed runs if you would. There are a bunch of mini games and the main game, despite the controls, is still just as fun as the N64 version.

Average - 8
Would you look at that, solid 8's in all fields, that's how fun this game is, and will forever hold a place in many DS users' hearts.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:51 AM   #133
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I think that maybe the first form of Bowser would go down in one bomb, the second two, etc. But I could be wrong because I haven't touched M64 in such a long while.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #134
Nephlabobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Woah! You'd give Xbox an 8 for games? *Looks through library* ....
I wouldn't either - but that's because the majority of styles of games that the Xbox has don't appeal to me. (Fighting, sports, FPS etc)

Most of the titles I'm interested in for Xbox are what are considered "niche" titles

(Tenchu, Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon, KOTOR (well it's not niche))

RPGs and that sort of thing. It's not really worth it for me to get an Xbox when there are so many PS2 games I'm interested in.

I will give Xbox full credits for graphics, sound and online play. The games look fantastic (like Ninja Gaiden) and MS charged in with a solid online play system and made it work more than Sony or Nintendo could ever dream. Kudos to them for a great job.

Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Chrono Cross was an average RPG at best. I played up to Disc 3 and then stopped. It doesn't have holding interest, so I felt like I was forcing myself to play through it most of the time. And, like Messanic brought up, there aren't that many characters who are important. Suikoden is way better.

I agree that Suikoden is better.

One thing though - Chrono Cross only had two discs. What game were you playing?

I completely agree with Mess's review of Katamari Damacy. It's a fantastic game and really fun. It's completely addictive - once you realise there are lists of people and objects for you to collect. Trying to complete those lists and get your katamaris as big as you can is friggin' addictive.

Btw - nice to see someone give some good word of mouth of Breath of Fire 5

Last edited by Nephlabobo; 01-22-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:47 AM   #135
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yup, you're right -- CC has 2 discs. I must've been thinking of another RPG. Question is which RPG did I get it confused with? Hmmmm.... Perhaps it was Legend of Dragoon. That must mean I stopped after disc 1. That's one of the games I'm getting rid of, but Suikoden I'm keeping.