The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-29-2004, 01:36 AM   #91
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

The magic feeling of the 2D Metroids isn't present in the 3D outings. I'm not saying the 3D ones suck--absolutely not--but it's just not the same.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:39 AM   #92
Mr.Fantastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
The magic feeling of the 2D Metroids isn't present in the 3D outings. I'm not saying the 3D ones suck--absolutely not--but it's just not the same.
i am a metroid fan and can say, without a hesitation in my husky (yet somewhat sexy voice) that the 3d metroids are as good as the 2d ones. oh, and they OwNZ halo 2. :kill:
Mr.Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #93
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ok, if that's the way you feel Mr.Fantastic. I grew up with Metroid and I know to expect more from Nintendo -- yes, they can do better.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:16 AM   #94
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Coming soon, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy Origins and Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:56 AM   #95
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Final Fantasy Origins and Dawn of Souls

This review is another one of my "hit two birds in one stone review," by this I mean that I'll be reviewing Final Fantasy 1+2 for the gba and ps1, otherwise known as Final Fantasy Origins and Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls. I'll also be making comparisons between the two and the wsc versions. For those of you that want to play the games that started this whole mainstream series, this is for you, for others that want to know the difference between the two verisions, this is also for you.

Story - 7 both
The story in Final Fantasy is pretty simple yet elaborated a little more on the gba and ps1 now. For FF1, the four elemental crystals are dying and princess Sara has been kidnapped by Garland. It's your job as the four heroes of light or whatever to bring princess Sara back and save the world. Pretty bland if you ask me.

Now FF2's story is a little more interesting, four kids are fleeing from an evil empire that has destroed thier hometown. On the way to another town you and your buddies are ambushed and all but one of you are together. Now you and your other two buddies must set out to find your missing friend and of course, save the world from evil. There are definitely more perks in the story for this game and even more for the gba version, but either way, it's still pretty generic and straightforward.

Graphics - FFO 8/ FFDoS 7
The graphics for these games are awsome no doubt, but thier washed out on the gba. Thats not why it got lower though, the gba has missing frames of animation, how they managed to do this is beyond me but they did. The wsc had fluent and very rythmic effects and spell animations for these games and they translated well onto the ps1, but the gba got shafted. The gba could have easily handled all the animation from the wsc, theres no excuse for the gba to have those missing frames of animation. Other than that, the ps1 version has the same fluent animation that the wsc had, it was another one of those "How the hell did they do that," situations on the ps1. The ps1 has fmv's instead of the usual game engine openings like the wsc and gba versions do, they both get the same point across but I like the gba intros better, I don't have to listen to characters moan and grunt in the opening of FF2.

Sound - 9 both
Hey, same great score but why? Well simple, FFO and FFDoS are the same game in that they have awsome ost's. The ps1 had all completely redone music from the original wsc version plus some added. The gba has that same great ost from the ps1, it's almost hard to tell, it ranks up there with Fire Emblem and Golden Sun for really high quality, realistic sound for the gba. My favorite theme is the temple of fiends theme and the gba did it well, as for FF2 on both, well again, the sound is amazing. The overworld theme for FF2 is also one of my favorites and again the gba didn't fail me.

Gameplay - 7 both
Well lets put it this way, FF1's gameplay is very generic, while FF2's isn't. They are both very tedious to play on the ps1. In FFI, you get to choose the difficulty you want, easy or hard really makes no difference. You get to pick four out of six different classes for your characters, don't pick the red mage ever, he sucks, and he doesn't get any better when you get the red wizard. The thief and black belt will pay off in the end as they turn into a ninja and monk. The black mage is pathetically weak, but more than makes up for it in the casting of black magic and the same witht the white mage. The fighter can kick ass and take names, and on top of that, he can use white magic when he turns into a knight.

FF1's battle system is exactly what you think it is, you attack, use items, magic, and level up. You can also run away and in FF1's case, you'll need to, the random encount is horrendous in this game, you will get into many battles and get next to nothing in experience and gil in this game. You will spend about an hour and a half just trying to get to level 5 in the very beginning too, not only that, items are expensive and you have a certain amount of times that you can cast magic as theres no mp, the number changes as your black, red, and white mages level up. You also have to buy magic in this game and it gets really expensive.

In FF2 whatever weapon you use the most determines your dependability for that weapon, if you keep getting the **** knocked outta you then your life goes up and so on. Sounds easy right, well it is, at least until your characters stop getting thier stats up in certain categories, your stats also depreciate, if you get smarter, you will most likely get weaker, if you get stronger, you get stupid, simple example of what happened to one of my characters. There are no classes in this game, but you start out with three characters, they all have certain stats in certain areas too. You can choose to elaborate more on these stats but sooner or later, you stop getting stronger and have to find other means of doing so. You will get different party members and anybody can use magic, there also is an mp system in this game and when you use more mp, your mp goes up, wait, I said that already.

The gba versions of FF1+2 takes everything that the ps1 versions did to piss me off and still manage to piss me off. Why? Well simple, for one, the difficulty is way easy, what takes you an hour to do on the ps1, takes 2 minutes to do on the gba. In FF1 it takes less than 30 minutes to get to level 5, everything is much cheaper, it's basically made so that even idiot little kids that don't appreciate old video games, can. While the very tedious work has been removed from FF1 an extra dungeon was added and some of the dialog has been rewritten. FF2 also has some extra dialog to help you understand the story better. They are still more or less the same games though and FF2 is actaully the better game imo. They also put an mp system in the first game, so not only are things too easy, thier even more easy. Nothing is just right in either one of these ports, or the originals for that matter. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but at least you get to see Link's grave.

Replay - 5 both
I don't see myself playing either of these collections too long after I've beat them, nor do I for any other rpg, well except Chrono Trigger.

Overall - FFO 7.2/ FFDoS 7
Two collections, same score, not much else. Thier both $30 brand new, well if you can find FFO anyways, FFDos can be found for $30 anywhere.

Last edited by Messanic; 12-03-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:02 AM   #96
Joe Redifer
Olé!

What is "wsc"? I see that and I immediately think "Wide Screen Content".
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:18 AM   #97
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

WSC stands for Wonderswan Color or Crystal, the handheld that was giving the gba a run for it's money in Japan until recently.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #98
Vert1
Banned

The Wonderswan had Final Fantasy and Gunpei but it never gave the GBA a run for it's money. EVER.

Quote:
Why it Failed
Well, technically the Wonderswan hasn?t failed. The system is still alive and well in Japan, although it has little North American market. In Japan, however, the Wonderswan takes up 8 of the 10 percent of the market that Nintendo hasn?t claimed.

Last edited by Vert1; 12-03-2004 at 06:19 PM.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:45 PM   #99
Nephlabobo
Banned

In Japan it was almost head to head between them for a while. The WSC did quite respectably for itself.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:11 AM   #100
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I never owned a WonderSwan ...and don't care to, quite frankly.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #101
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Dance Dance Revolution Extreme

In this review, I will not compare it to the Japanese releases because the Japan release this is not. This is the US version and even though it has less songs than the previous installments on the ps2, we will see how it fares in this review.

Graphics - 9
Now the graphics were really nothing to oogle at, if you werent paying attention, but some people like it when the arrows move at 60 fps. The dancing characters are back and the backround videos are of much higher quality than the arcade counterparts. Your also less likely to mess up if your a wimp that couldn't, or refuse to take on the older 45fps mixes, and you people know who you are.

Sound - 7
There are bad songs to run into while trying to select a good song. There are good songs on this game too but they really are few and far inbetween. There are good songs in this game and theres definitely something to like about the music in this game, that is if your a flaming homosexual. Most of the music in this game isn't very varied, theres a lot of gay nightclub music along with some very ****ty covers of some really good songs. "Hey Messanic, how can you say that about gay men when you like men too?" Well it's quite simple, the music that is played in most male gay nightclubs suck. Hence the score for this part, the good songs found amongst most of all the other songs seem to make up for the rest of the song selection. That and the announcer isn't as annoying, he actually says less in this game, I still turn all the voices off, as they actually subtract from the whole experience when playing.

Gameplay - 8.5
DDR has had the same basic gameplay experience as the many other mixes before it, regardless of how many crappy songs or good songs were in them. So to score this part, I will be giving scores to the controllers that I've used on it and averaged them that way. Until then, the eyetoy has been added to this game for an added gameplay experience. I could care less about the eyetoy, but since it's been added, there might be other people that want to play the ****ty mini games that the eyetoy support has to offer. Theres also a new mission mode in which you must play to complete stupid DDR challenges like "miss all the arrows but one." Training mode is also here if your a beginner, and I highly recommend playing this first if you want to get good. The song mods also return and with that, there is no possible way to turn off the buttons on the ps2 controller. This means that if you have a soft mat, the accuracy on your steps is gonna suck.

ps2 controller - 10
This controller works, and it works the best if your a lazy bastard or don't have a dance pad. This also helps on those annoying missions, I don't use it, but feel free to 'cheat' if necessary.

Konami Mat - 9
The controller that came with the game and the best and most easy to break mats out there. This controller stays flat at all times and has a really nice grip on the floor, even when using the carpet. It's much better than the pos Naki mats that **** up the first ten minutes of gameplay(sarcasm). The Konami mats are the best home mat because thier pretty affordable even at $30, that is if you can find them. The downside is that they break easy, so like the ps2, you must take extreme care of your Konami mat. My gripe about Konami is that besides the xbox, they have yet to make a perfect home mat.

Naki Mat - 7
The chick with the butterfly wings is an eyesore and I really enjoy stepping on her. These mats have grip on the bottom, but the grip sucks, and the extra foam within them only makes things worse. Why? Simple, the extra foam likes to puff up and warp, then the sensors in the mat warp, and then you have a mat that you have to lay flat and have something heavy and flat on top of that. It doesn't give you accurate steps like the Konami mat, but it still somehow gets the job done.

Red Octane Metal Mats - 8
This mat works for both the xbox and ps2, to top it all off, you have to maintain them. The mats warp and you can't play without shoes, Red Octane also doesn't always make completely reliable products. Thats why you must maintain them, you have to spend an extra $50 just to get them matted with wood around the edges or else it'll warp. Sometimes you have to replace the screws and the metal isn't that durable.

Song list - 6
The song list is worse than the previous installments, by that I mean that there are less songs than DDRMax 2 and many songs returning from older mixes, US and Japan. The songs arent all that good and the actual good songs take forever to unlock. There are songs on the xbox that I loved even with it's 45 song mix, yet this one doensn't even have half the good songs native to the arcade version.

Replay - 8
Regarless, the game still has a high replay value, and at some point you will simply weed out all the crappy songs and play five songs that you like. You will play them over and over, go to the arcade, show off your mad skillz and wait for another home console release on ps2. Or go back and play the other installments.

Overall - 7.7
Yeah, it still came out pretty high, regardless of what I said in this review. But thems the brakes, it still manages to be a decent DDR game, if I were you, buy this game only to get the Konami pad, as there are no other game and pad bundles left for the previous installments nor can you find the Konami mat seperately.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #102
Vert1
Banned

How can you give the PS2 controller a ten and the dance mats less? You don't play music games with video game controllers. That's unheard of.

Remembers horrible experience playing a DDR rip off game in Fusion Frenzy... :yikes:
Old 12-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #103
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Maybe I gave the ps2 controller a 10 because it actually works the best out of all the other controllers Vert. Cobalt Flux mats are supposedly the best but I havent played on them, therefore I can't rate them now can I?
Old 12-05-2004, 10:07 PM   #104
Vert1
Banned

Playing DDR with controller is absurd and in no way deserves a 10.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:32 PM   #105
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I'm sure that playing SC2, CVS2EO, and gba games with a gcn controller is also ubsurd.