The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-12-2004, 02:51 AM   #46
Paper exe
Pwnd

Messanic your reviews are great and all :cool guy:
but I thing you give most games very high or you only review games that you like :thumbdn:
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:55 AM   #47
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperEXE
Messanic your reviews are great and all :cool guy:
but I thing you give most games very high or you only review games that you like :thumbdn:
Why the hell do you think this thread is called "Messanic's Personal Ratings?" If both me and Icarus give a game like Batman Returns similar ratings, I can't be that far off. I think my ratings are quite fair too, and I wont just give a game a bad rating because the game is 'primitive,' but I will give a game a bad rating if it sucks. The thing is, I don't play that many bad games, I'll tell you this though, no game will get a 10 or a 0 from me, I hope this helps.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:14 PM   #48
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

You say that you would never give a game a 0 rating. What would you give Sunday Funday?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #49
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I never played it, but I'll post my review of Zelda the Minish Cap and Pulseman for the Sega genesis later.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #50
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Hold up. Zelda ~ The Minish Cap.... isn't that the new one for GBA? Is it even out?!?! (If it is, and I didn't know anything about it, GRRRRR!!)
Old 11-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #51
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Hey messanic, how are you reviewing games that are not even out? Kingdom Hearts for GBA does not come out untill December 7th and new Zelda for GBA does not come out untill January. I smelll something fishy.......

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #52
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin
Hey messanic, how are you reviewing games that are not even out? Kingdom Hearts for GBA does not come out untill December 7th and new Zelda for GBA does not come out untill January. I smelll something fishy.......
He plays the japan version
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #53
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperEXE
He plays the japan version
Well solved that problem and made myself look like an idiot .

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:56 AM   #54
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I should have mentioned that I was playing KH is Japanese, I'm also going to return my Japanese Minish Cap game and get the euro version. I was a little pissed that I had imported the Japanese version only to find that the euro version was coming a few days later.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #55
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap

A few months ago, people were creaming thier pants over the new 'adult Link' game for the gcn at E3. While the new gba game was right around the corner, all people could talk about was how great this new Zelda game would be and how much it would put off Nintendo's self induced 'kiddy' image. The Minish Cap is a brand new game, it may not be the already overrated adult Link game, but it's still a new game in the series. I made the mistake of importing the Japanese version and the euro version came out just a few days after I got my copy. Despite my last post, I've decided not to return my Japanese version, I have the euro rom and when I've done everything in that I'm going to play my Japanese copy. I'll know where to go and exactly what thier saying, but most importantly, the game is good learning material, I need to learn more Hiragana and Katakana anyway.

Story - 7
They say don't leave your keys in your car, even if your in a good nieghborhood, and they're right about that one... A new villian known as Vaati has broken the Picori blade, opened "the magic chest," and released evil upon the land of Hyrule and it's up to Link to save Hyrule, again. Why don't they just leave the boy alone, I'm sure there are child labor laws. I will say that prior to Vaati screwing things up, you'll immediately be reminded of one of the best overrated games for the snes.

Graphics - 9
Nice fluent animation, theres a lot of special effects too. They even have that snot nosed little kid too. The enemies are awsome too, theres killer fox's with knives, theres also two different worlds to look at. It does get hard to see Link on the gba though, it's not that hard for me to see him on my pc moniter, but on a gba, expect to die when you shrink yourself. Theres a bunch of nice special effects, and the bosses are very high in detail. Flagship did a good job capturing the art style of the first gcn game on the gba.

Sound - 8
They have the same voices from the Wind Waker, but thier less annoying. The signiture themes are here and some new songs, I just love the theme to the Minish Forest and those cuckoo's. Good sound.

Gameplay - 8
Even if your new to the series, I'm not about to talk about the gameplay like it is new, cause it ain't. You run around, talk to people, kill stuff, explore, and solve puzzles, just like in all the other Zelda games before and most likely after, and it never gets old. They did add some stuff though, you now have to learn new skills from the Skill Master, he gives you a scroll and teaches you a skill after you finish a dungeon. I've learned the Spinning Attack and Pot Smasher, next I learn how to 'run really fast.' You also can roll now and use Kinstones. These broken medallions are scattered all across Hyrule and can be found in many treasure chests, and under rocks and bushes. You can use them by going up to people and pressing L, if they have the corresponding part to your kinstone then they will unite and reveal a useful item on your map. They may be a piece of heart, rupees, a map/hint, etc. The four sword puzzles also return, and my guess is that I'll need to complete the first four dungeons to use them. The magic seashells also return but in short, the same game with more fetch quests and from what it looks like, it's going to be pretty lengthy.

Legacy - 10
It deserves the Zelda name, another Zelda game that does nothing remotely new. It still does things noteworthy of making it very similar yet somewhat different to and from all the other Zelda games.

Replay - 10
It's a damned Zelda game, you'll be doing speed runs, getting all items and ****. Theres tons to do and I can say that I'll definitely be playing this game again and again. This game will hold you off until the new one for gcn comes out.

Overall - 8.7
All I have to say is get off Adult Links' penis, and play this game as soon as possible. Yes, I've been insulting people that were impressed like the mainstream over a new Madden game. But remember, there are many other good games to play while you actually wait for that anticipated one. That's where games like The Minish Cap come in.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:05 AM   #56
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Messanic ~ "I've learned the Spinning Attack and Pot Smasher, next I learn how to 'run really fast.'"

You haven't beaten the game yet?
Old 11-15-2004, 03:51 AM   #57
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
You haven't beaten the game yet?
Nope, I havent even beaten KH:CoM or beaten both games on SF:AC with all characters yet either. If I havent beat a game in 2 hours or less, I would have at least gotten what the game is about.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:21 AM   #58
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Err, then why'd you review it? Shouldn't you at least play through it a little longer before making a solid judgement about it? Sure, if a game sucks, I'd understand. But Zeldas never suck, aside from those wretched CD-i titles, but I disqualify them from existence (hence why I've just brought them up ).
Old 11-21-2004, 02:21 AM   #59
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Final Fantasy X

Yes, it is time to get stupid. By that I mean that many people hate FFX, it's a love or hate game, but I think it's been the best since FFVI, it is in no way better, but I do like it more than FFVII. I have also completed this game on several times, no necessarily played through but rather leveld up, beat the game, side quested, then beat the game again, leveled up, side quested and again, beat the game. But what makes FFX better than all the other ones in it's series, lets find out.

Story - 8
Things don't get twisted and turned until about 10 hours into the game. But heres the lowdown, you are a famous sportsman's son, Tidus, who is also famous from another timeline. During your big game, some giant, gelatinous blob known as Sin recks your game, destroys your city, sucks you up and spits you out 1000 years later. You eventually get washed up on a beach where you meet some guy that also plays Blitzball, Wakka, he then takes you to his village, there you meet a Black mage, Lulu, Blue mage, Khimari, and a Summoning mage, Yuna. Thus your adventure begins, theres tons of twists and turns in turns in the plot and the game has a lot of subliminal religious issues, believe it or not. It kind of sucks that game developers have to cover up religious issues just so they wont have a class action lawsuit thrown at them though. Since the people in this game can be very comparable to the overzealous Christians and Nintendoids out there. The characters are pretty enjoyable and there is plenty of development, by this I mean theres a lot to learn from all the characters in this game.

Graphics - 10
Some of the best that I've seen on the ps2, the game likes to slowdown a lot on old ps2's for some odd reason. This however isn't enough to bring the graphics down. The summons are awsome and theres plenty of overflowing animation, by this I mean everything looks very pretty. The FMV's are also awsome and everyone minus, Yuna, Lulu, Khimari, and Auron look Asian. Auron is your standard middled aged American, Lulu is your Hispanic hottie, Khimari is a furry, Tidus is a Korean guy that spends too much time in the sun, Yuna is your Caucasian girl that never goes outside, Wakka is obviously Hawaian, and Rikku reminds me of Mari Yaguchi from the Hello Project.

Sound - 8
The music in the game is awsome, the only problem is that there isn't enough of it. The voice acting is not horrible, I da no troubles with Tidus' voice and hearing Bender's VA do the voice for Wakka is just awsome. For those that don't know, Bender is the drunken kleptomaniac robot from Futurama. I managed to jack a Japanese copy of FFX from a vendor at this years Megacon, but I can't play it, so I can't compare Japanese to English voices, I will assume that Tidus and Yuna, and Rikku's voices will be very annoying though.

Gameplay - 7
This is why I don't play rpg's for gaming, the gameplay is usually stale, and in FFX's case, the gameplay is still stale. You now have the ablity to switch out your characters in battle, and it' svery monotinous in the way that it's done. I like it when you need certain characters for certain areas, but certain characters for certain monsters every battle is very monotinous. There are going to be some characters like Wakka, Khimari and Rikku that prove to be totally useless no matter what enemy you come across and I mean useless. My main party always had Tidus, Yuna, and Lulu, occasionally I'd put Auron in, but even he wasn't that great. They have a new sphere grid which lets you choose the way your character builds thier strength.

Monsters drop things like speed, power, magic, luck spheres, etc. But who cares when the outcome will be total obliteration to all that cross you. The max you can get a stat is to 255 and every character and aeon can get there. The characters personalities also show in thier attacks, but again, theres a certain point where anyone can learn Ultima, Holy, and Flare. Thats not that much of a problem for me though since I like the idea of knowing you earned the right to break the game. I've played Xenogears, and Valkyrie Profile, so there is a way to make a good turn based battle system. The other thing that rocked about FF, the vehicles that you could drive, there arent any in this game. You do get an airship, but you don't pilot it, but rather select an area, and go there.

Mini games - 5
Every rpg isn't complete without one stupid task that involves not playing the game like it normally is. These are called mini games, and most of them require you to play them in order to get an ultimate weapon. I hated the lightning planes and gave up on Lulu's weapon when I reached 199 and got hit, it just wasn't worth it. The Chocobo race was a game of chance really, since the baloons are totally random and the fucking chocobo doesn't know when to get the **** outta the way. But blitzball, now theres a game that SE can make a franchise out of, it was a pretty big mini game and even though I didn't play it much, I did like it. The AI was just a major cheap ass, and if you didn't win your first game, you would never win a blitzball game ever. I won my first game, and never played much after, Wakka's ultimate wepon was also not worth getting, even if I did have a soft spot for Blitzball. There are also puzzle dungeons, I didn't like them, they all added a lot of tedium to the game.

Replay - 8
Regardless of it's shortcomings, FFX somehow draws me in, when I don't feel like playing anything else I pop in FFX and side quest. I either stop when I've leveled up one of my characters a lot or until a mini game pisses me off.

Overall - 7.7
Its a good game, not the best in the series, but still better than FFVII and IX. Play it, rent it and enjoy it, but whatever you do, stay away from FFX-2...
Old 11-21-2004, 02:28 AM   #60
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Messanic ~ "Auron is your standard middled aged American..."

....Huh?

~ "Lulu is your Hispanic hottie..."

....She's Hispanic?? Where'd it say that in the game?

~ "Khimari is a furry..."

~ "Tidus is a Korean guy that spends too much time in the sun..."

~ "Yuna is your Caucasian girl that never goes outside..."

Ummm, isn't she supposed to be Japanese?

~ "Wakka is obviously Hawaian..."

Obviously.

~ "and Rikku reminds me of Mari Yaguchi from the Hello Project."

No comment.