The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-05-2005, 04:51 AM   #211
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The one for the DC sure liked to load an awful lot. And god damn that DC is noisey when the laser moves. I prefer the Saturn versions of the game. I don't need them both on one disc. Capcom can suck my weiner!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #212
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ture, though I'd leave out the part about the weiner (unless you're talking about your 'hot dog'...).
Old 12-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #213
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Mario Kart DS

After a long time being away from the Magicbox forums, I would like to report that I'm back again. This time on the long awaited MArio Kart game for the DS. Yes, Mario and friends are back to drive in thier little karts around Luigi's Mansion and such other type tracks. By the way, I'm gonna take every cheap shot at the N64 that I possibly can with this review.

Graphics - 9
This game is not just colorful, and full of eye pleasing textures, it runs at a blazing fast 60fps. Not only does this game offer some amazing original eyecandy, some of your favorite tracks and arena's return from previous Mario Kart outings in the "Retro Cup." The SNES, GBA, and GCN tracks have all translated well to the DS, especially the GCN tracks. However, the N64 tracks, while they now run at 60fps, they still look plain, or just downright ugly. This game also features the third set of 3d characters used in a Mario Kart game, not just some prerendered crap that was found on the N64.

Sound - 10
Wow, just wow, every sound effect and track is composed extremely well on the DS' hardware. You can even hear the nonexistant music from the N64 tracks.

Gameplay - 9
Same old Mario Kart, some new gameplay tweaks here and there and high speed, racing action. The N64 tracks dragged it down a little because, thier just too damn long and not to mention booring. As I've said earlier, theres 16 new courses and 16 old courses. Theres also a Mission Mode and best of all, online play, now you can play Mario Kart DS with people all around the world. Best of all, the framerate isn't capped nor does it lag. The battle mode is also just as kick ass as before and the block fort has returned. Last but not least, this game is straitforward with its gameplay, the touch screen is pretty much useless, but thats alright, it's a Mariot Kart game, and it's good thats all that matters.

Replay - 10
I havent been this immersed into Mario Kart since the SNES version, hell I even ejoyed the N64 version for a bit. But none the less, theres tons of competion and challenges to keep you playing for quite some time if Meteos, Advance Wars or Animal Crossing isn't stealing your soul.

Average - 9.5
One of the best, no, the best Mario Kart game to hit the shelves since the last three outings. I reccomend everyone that has a DS to go out and get this game. If this is anything to go by, a new F-zero title will be most welcome to the DS.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #214
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yeah, and whatever happened to Pilotwings? I'd like a DS version ASAP!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #215
Anti-Fanboi
Banned

I would like to know your Personal Rating on that Knuckles cosplayer. Did you really have sexual relations with her? Why did you do it with such an ugly girl? Was it really worth it?
Anti-Fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #216
B.B. Gambini
Banned

lets see how long messanic can avoid this one...
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #217
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Fanboi
I would like to know your Personal Rating on that Knuckles cosplayer. Did you really have sexual relations with her? Why did you do it with such an ugly girl? Was it really worth it?
I like sex a little too much to just let it pass me by, but on a more serious note, I've already said my piece as have other mb members. Now the real question is, will I make to the next Megacon?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:49 AM   #218
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Irregular Hunter X

Amongst the few and far between releases of good PSP games, Irregular Hunter X, while just a remake is just that, an actual above average remake. While the current portable consoles have ports of old console games, this so far is the only actual above average remake next to Mario 64 on the DS.

Graphics - 9
Capcom has come a long way from its older games, apparently Rockman Dash 1+2, and Breath of Fire III didn't get any new graphics. However Irregular Hunter X does, not only that, it runs at a constant 60fps. Everything has gotten a total makeover, stages, bosses, enemies, the whole shibang. The game looks so awsome that it gives Rockman X8 a run for it's money. There is also slowdown in this game, and surprisingly in the same places as the SNES original. Some people may not like that, but it hits me with a feeling of nostalgia. Lastly the anime videos are a nice addition to this remake. The artwork was done quite well and makes you think it was drawn in the early 90's.

Sound - 9
The music has all been redone and it wouldn't surprise me if I heard the same music in Megaman X Anniversary collection. None the less, all tracks are very nice and sound like the originals. VAVA also has his own tracks, but he doesn't have enough so the music can get somewhat repetitive when playing as VAVA. They even kept some of the old SFX from the SNES games.

Gameplay - 9
There are two characters and two difficulties, Normal is just too easy with X but Normal with VAVA is somewhat challenging. But if you pick Hard mode, you'll get the same great challenge found on the SNES. VAVA also has a great amount of weapons at his disposal, but no dash, and that really isn't cool. If you have an old PSP, you might want to upgrade to 2.50 or maybe pick up a Ceramic White PSP, the square button tends to let go wile charging. The password function is also gone and replaced with a save feature for the PSP.

Replay - 10
Amongst all the great PSP games that I have and everyone else should have, this one has been getting more playtime from me than even Lumines. Theres a demo of Rockman Rockman, two difficulties and you get to play as VAVA.

Average - 9.3
This game is supposed to hit US shores in early January, and if Megaman X8 is anything to go by, this game should turn out fine.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #219
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
I like sex a little too much to just let it pass me by, but on a more serious note, I've already said my piece as have other mb members. Now the real question is, will I make to the next Megacon?
It was funny for a while (that thing of you "having sex" with someone else here), but I'm sure that there are other people around here who don't like stuff they did being mentioned, and god fobid if you mention it more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
Amongst the few and far between releases of good PSP games, Irregular Hunter X, while just a remake is just that, an actual above average remake. While the current portable consoles have ports of old console games, this so far is the only actual above average remake next to Mario 64 on the DS.

Graphics - 9
Capcom has come a long way from its older games, apparently Rockman Dash 1+2, and Breath of Fire III didn't get any new graphics. However Irregular Hunter X does, not only that, it runs at a constant 60fps. Everything has gotten a total makeover, stages, bosses, enemies, the whole shibang. The game looks so awsome that it gives Rockman X8 a run for it's money. There is also slowdown in this game, and surprisingly in the same places as the SNES original. Some people may not like that, but it hits me with a feeling of nostalgia. Lastly the anime videos are a nice addition to this remake. The artwork was done quite well and makes you think it was drawn in the early 90's.

Sound - 9
The music has all been redone and it wouldn't surprise me if I heard the same music in Megaman X Anniversary collection. None the less, all tracks are very nice and sound like the originals. VAVA also has his own tracks, but he doesn't have enough so the music can get somewhat repetitive when playing as VAVA. They even kept some of the old SFX from the SNES games.

Gameplay - 9
There are two characters and two difficulties, Normal is just too easy with X but Normal with VAVA is somewhat challenging. But if you pick Hard mode, you'll get the same great challenge found on the SNES. VAVA also has a great amount of weapons at his disposal, but no dash, and that really isn't cool. If you have an old PSP, you might want to upgrade to 2.50 or maybe pick up a Ceramic White PSP, the square button tends to let go wile charging. The password function is also gone and replaced with a save feature for the PSP.

Replay - 10
Amongst all the great PSP games that I have and everyone else should have, this one has been getting more playtime from me than even Lumines. Theres a demo of Rockman Rockman, two difficulties and you get to play as VAVA.

Average - 9.3
This game is supposed to hit US shores in early January, and if Megaman X8 is anything to go by, this game should turn out fine.
I've heard a few people say this game was average, but I care not since I don't have a psp, but seeing as your the third (or maybe forth if I can remember) person that basicly said this game is average.... then it must be average.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #220
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Hmmm, this gives me an idea but one which I'll have to save for after Christmas.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #221
Freeman

@Maverick Hunter X review: Hmm straight to the point that's all I'll say, though you could've given some more insight on Vile, nice review though & good score.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:14 AM   #222
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

The PSP: Re-Review

I've decided to do another review of the PSP, since in all honesty, my first review was just more of an impression. Sure I got a lot of info to review in that short amount of time, but the one thing every new console needs is time. While the features of a new console should be most of the basis of a review, the games are what make it a good console. So without further delay, heres my new PSP review.

Design - 8
The PSP is still one sexy looking piece of gaming machinery, I said that then and I say it now. There really isn't much to say here, the square button is still jacked, and the only know models to not have that is the Ceramic White models. The hardware is completely updatable and with every new game and new crack for the PSP theres usually another firmware update. The PSP also has multimedia functions, and without the UMD movie function there was no real garuntee the PSP would have lasted this long.

Durability - 9
This thing can still withstand some beatings, my PSP has been dropped, smashed, and thrown and even though it was in the carrying case, I didn't expect it to live. But it did, so its safe to say that the PSP has been good to me on the survival front.

Games - 8
Heres where the PSP got hurt, while its clear that people bought the PSP for the same reason they bought a PS2, I once again, bought this Sony console for games. The good game releases were too few and far inbetween and it took a whole year for the PSP to finally pick up. The PS2, didn't take this long, but nothing compares to the 3 year rise to glory like Sony's first born PS1. None the less, I was disappointed to realize that the PSP had it's UMD sales cover it like the GBA sales covered the GCN.

Graphics - 8
The games still look awsome, but low framerates are a big no no for me, it was one of the reasons for me not liking the N64 and the PSP has too many games with low framerates. Ridge Racer is still the best looking game on the PSP, yet it doesn't have any slowdown nor does it run at 30fps, so it makes me wonder why the developers are so lazy with programming a game to run well.

Sound - 9
The sound is still not that good without headphones so the headphones are a serious must.

Battery - 9
Sony has just released a new battery for the PSP, increasing it's life a mere 20%. I still enjoy the amount of time I can spend playing my PSP and with all the new games finally releasing, I still don't see the big deal with these pro reviewers talking about how much they enjoy leaving the light at full brightness playing thier GTA games with ridiculously short load times. The PSP can last a good eight hours by just having the brightness on mid or low, with the volume at full blast. The loading has gotten better too. Despite what some may say, you can still get a lot of gameplay, regardless of the short load times that were rumored to have hindered the PSP's playtime.

Overall - 8.5
The PSP is still one great piece of machinery and the new games actually being developed on the PSP are finally coming in. $250 may be a little steep, but when it's $300 for a Giga Pack, I think the PSP is very much worth it.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #223
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Sonic Rush

Over the years, Sonic games have sucked unless they happen to be a new 2d addition, or were in a collection. This game is both 2d and 3d, but while some may think OMFG, this game is gonna suck, it pulls it's own weight just fine and heres why.

Graphics - 8
This game has some appealing 2d graphics and with that comes the 3d as well. The stages are in 2d, but Sonic, Blaze, the special stages and the boss fights are all in 3d. I'm actually surprised that Sonic Team was able to pull forth such an effort on the DS, it isn't that much more powerful than the N64 and yet they release every bit of power they can out of the DS. This game isn't without it's graphical flaws though, the enemies are prerendered and don't look that good because of it, theres also some slowdown in not very populated areas.

Sound - 9
Why such a high score? Well the OST was done by Hideki Naganuma of Jet Set Radio fame. Yes, thats what makes this games sound so awsome, of all the things in this game, the music is the strong point. The voice acting however, is just horrible, and I mean horrible. Blaze says some really lame **** and I just hate hearing any of the characters talk, except maybe Eggman.

Gameplay - 7
The gameplay itself is put together very well, the problem is that there isn't enough of it. There are only two characters, and nine zones, the boss fights are also a little buggy save for the last two. Blaze doesn't have any special stages, giving you less of an incentive to play as her, and unlike SA1+2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles, both characters can take all the same routes. Theres also a lot of bottomless pits in this game. While rushing through the later stages, you'll find that it isn't the best idea, theres quite a few things to stop you from that, mainly bottomless pits and horrible ememy placement. You might want to learn how to switch between both screens as the game uses both screens.

The triple spin is pretty much useless too, the rush attack is much more useful. The problem is that the rush attack drains your rush gauge, and the only way to fill it is to defeat badniks, do grind tricks, break certain capsules and pass checkpoints. The problem is that you will want to save your rush gauge as Sonic. The only way to get into the special stages is by using the rush attack, once in your prompted to get your stylus out. Why, because the special stages are all played using the touch screen. The special stages are just like the ones found in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3d Blast for Saturn, except now you have springs and badniks to deal with. The Boss fight are all in 3d and thier actually the weakest part of the game just because thier so buggy.

Replay - 7
This game has it, but it isn't much, theres a time attack a very skimpy set of unlockables, and the Extra Zone. I pop the game in every other day, but it just doesn't have enough substance to keep me playing it like the old games.

Average - 7.8
This game was still entertaining despite its shortcomings, however, since this game was made, theres room for a sequal. Much more room at that.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #224
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

You give the PSP games an 8? That's very high considering what you said about the lack of games. I would say more like a 2 or 3 would be a better fit. Now movies would be an 8 since you can get almost any movie you want for it.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #225
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

No, you can't get a UMD version of The Prodigal Son.