The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 06-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #196
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
but because the PSP's screen is built out of the same crap used in plasmascreen tv's, the a slight blur in the picture.
The PSP uses LCD technology, which is also the reason for the blur. It was a HUGE problem on the Game Gear.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:34 AM   #197
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

R4 is my favorite PS racing game. It also has my favorite soundtrack of the series. Never unlocked all 200 cars though.

I wonder how the PSP games are going to look when you can play them on a TV screen. I bet the jaggies would really show. With a small LCD screen it's much easier to cover up things like that.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:41 AM   #198
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Metal Slug 3

Hey boys and gals, Mr. Messanic has returned with another review. This time it's on Metal Slug 3 for the Xbox. After being out of Navy Basic Training, I was in need of some video games. It just so happens that a shipmate of mine was selling an Xbox for 45$ with the craptastic Halo and Test Drive 5. I decided to buy it, but first I needed some cash, so I headed over to the Navy Exchange and bought Outrun 2 for $19.99. I then gave my shipmate his well deserved 45$ and I walked off with my new game console. Well, Outrun 2 was nice, but I wanted more games to play, so I raided the mall and got a nice collection started, I also rid myself of those craptastic titles that were sold with my Xbox and got Metal Slug 4 and 5. But here I was with 17 xbox games and only two of them were ready to be reviewed, I decided that I would finish up Metal Slug 3 before I started Metal Slug 4 and 5, so I did. Now I'm here reviewing this game for all you people.

Graphics - 8
Still fluently animated but not running at 60fps like you'd think it would, the game still rocks though. The NeoGeo hardware might have been old enough to babysit Jesus, but it still managed to work hard for this game. The xbox has to do nothing at all though.

Sound - 8
It sounds just like the NG version, no new sfx or music. However don't think that this game has some sort of techno like music or something. This game still has a nice ost to keep you into it.

Gameplay - 9
This is the part that urked my nerves but at the same time made me a better gamer. This is basically the NeoGeo version, you are given four continues and only four. Well I did say it was basically the NG version, except instead of picking up where you left off when you continue, you restart the whole stage. None the less, there are tons of awsome weapons and one hit Contra kills to keep you playing. The bosses are also insane and just when you think your safe, something else comes to get you.

Replay - 10
I got my ass handed to me by the time I got to the third stage, but that kept me playing. I got better and it was even more fun than the last, but the last boss is definitely something to whine about. There are also different slug vehicles as well as an ass load of different routes to take.

Overall - 8.8
This game is awsome and is must have along with all the other awsome and obscure titles that are found on the Xbox. If you can't find this anywhere, theres always Metal Slug 4+5. At $40 you can pick either one up.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:16 AM   #199
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The PS2 versions of Metal Slug 4 and 5 (at least the Japanese ones I have) most definitely have arranged music that the Neo Geo could never hope to produce. Metal Slug 4 probably has the best music. It's really good. Not sure if the cool music made it to the states or not.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #200
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

A huge backlog.

I havent done a review in quite some time, but expect to have one from me every other weekend. But then again my work habits are like Working Designs. You can also expect a bunch of import titles to be reviewed from me. Heres whats coming next...

PSP
Luminez
Bleach - Heat the Soul 2

GCN
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3
One Piece Grand Battle: Combat Rush
Super Robot Taisen GC

PS2
Dance Dance Revolution Extreme
Time Crisis 3
Crimson Tears
Tales of Destiny 2
Vampire Collection (with Special edition Saturn controller)
OZ
Naruto: Uzumaki Ninden
Tekken 5
Sonic Gems Collection
Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden 3

DS
Ganbare Goemon
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Jump Superstars
Nintendogs
Advance Wars Dual Strike
007 Nightfire
Need for Speed Underground 2
Meteos
Nanostray
Kirby's Canvas Curse
Bomberman
Warioware Touched!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:23 AM   #201
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Wow, Messanic is back! Glad to finally hear from you. Look forward to you posting again. How is the military treating you?

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #202
Seraph
>:3

oooo! do Jump Superstars please! i want the game so badly, but cant get a second review of it.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #203
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Vampire Collection + Saturn Controller

Sorry Seraph, your anticipated Jump Superstars review will have to wait. This review is on Vampire Collection for the PS2 and the Vampire Collection Saturn controller. To think, after buying Darkstalkers Chronicle for the PSP that I'd have my fix, well you are all very wrong. A Vampire/Darkstalkers game on any console is just awsome. Unlike Vampire Chronicle for the DC and PSP, this collection is just that, a collection of all 5 arcade perfect Vampire games for the PS2 with some added extras of course.

Vampire Collection Saturn Controller

Design - 10
It's the fuckin' Saturn controller, nothing more and nothing less. The same eight button controller we used to play with on the Sega Saturn made it's way onto the PS2, and it's a good thing it did as it's got a lot of fighting games. The Vampire controller however, is purple and because it's on the PS2, the Select button has been added. But from A, B, C, X, Y, Z, L, R, and the ultimately responsive and accurate eight way D-pad, this is the same controller. Nuby Tech should release this controller and the other controllers stateside.

Comfort - 10
It feels just like the Sega Saturn controller, everything on the controller is responsive and there are no problems handling the controller at all.

Durability - 8
Like the original Saturn controller, this one is just as flimsy, that is if you throw it up against a wall or something.

Function - 9
Only works with 2d games and fighting games, well, it might not work with any DBZ games, but I could care less, its all about the fighters, and if Street Fighter 3 were on the Saturn, it would rock.

Average - 9.2
This controller kicks ass and is obviously a better controller than the one Nuby Tech made. If you can't find Nuby Tech's SF controller, you can always import Sega's official Saturn Controller for the PS2. But if Nuby Tech is feeling smart at all, or even Sega, they will release this controller stateside.

Vampire Collection

Graphics - 9
This collection is arcade perfect, every frame and effect is here, theres even a little graphics filter like the ones found is SFAC. I personally leave it off as I prefer a clear picture a lot more than a stupid AA filter. These are also the only games where Morrigan looks pleasing to the eye.

Sound - 9
Every single game sounds like they should and all have a sound test function, theres not much I can put out except that none of the sound sounds resampled unlike the PSP counterpart of Vampire Chronicle.

Gameplay - 10
In SFAC, you had two arcade perfect games to choose from, in VC, you have five arcade perfect games to choose from. All these games have the same awsome and very challenging gameplay as the arcade originals. There is one new chracter that was added for some of the games as the instruction booklet suggests. But other than that, its the same hardcore 2d fighting action found in Street Fighter 2 and 3 is found here.

Theres also only one initial load between games just like those found in SFAC, and an option to install some of the games content on the PS2's hd to eliminate loading. Last but not least, theres an online mode, something that every Vampire game as of late has, this game is also awsome with the Sega's official Saturn controller.

Replay - 10
This game is loaded with pretty much all the extra content you can find on the last five home incarnations of the Vampire series, the only difference is that theres one new character to play with in three of the games. Other than that, I have a hard time putting this game down, especially when I'm using the awsome Saturn controller.

Average - 9.5
Icarus and Joe, I highly recommend that you both buy this title and the Saturn controller. This is one awsome game and one of the very few awsome import titles you can find for under $60.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:18 AM   #204
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I already own the games on the Saturn itself, though.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #205
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika

Finally, the review is here and for all who don't know, this is my review on Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. I just happened to have bought and completed the import version some time ago but I just have had yet to review. But here it is in the paper and plastic.

Story
Soma and Mina were just a chillin' when some weird bitch decides to but in on thier little date. It turns out that this freaky chick and a few of her D&D buddies want to resurrect Dracula and Mina just happens to be part of the plan. So off Soma goes to save Mina. The plot is pretty much the same as the first game, except they finally kidnap Soma's main squeeze.

Graphics - 9
This game tries to accomplish what SotN did, and it does on most parts and doesn't on others. Either way, the game is very colorful and dynamic with enemy and area design. Some monsters from SotN make a return while most of the others are modified from thier original looks on the GBA. Theres also prerendering, and while I'm a fan of DKC, this game doesn't look to well in the all the prerendered areas. The sprites in this game are also pretty big and once again, overflowing with detail and animation.

Sound - 7
I actually didn't enjoy the OST to this game like I did all the others, this is actually the third CV game that didn't meet my expectations sound wise. However, they still kept some of the good themes like Vampire Killer and beginning, or whatever it was called.

Gameplay - 8
The gameplay was almost perfect except for one thing, Soma is about as immobile as the NES Belmonts when he attacks, perhaps even worse. He also runs extremely slow, once again possibly even slower than Alucard in SotN. But the real gameplay is in the soul collecting, which can be quite tedious at some point and just awesome on other ends. You can now level up your souls but you can only have a max of nine so common sense would tell you to collect nine of every soul right? Wrong, some souls are changed quite a lot when thier leveled up. Luckily Konami threw in a soul release system to fix the problem. The other thing that urks my nerves about the gameplay is the weapons.

Not only is Soma slow when attacking, you don't find all those awsome weapons that you were used to finding. Instead, they have to be forged using souls, and some of the best weapons are made from the best souls. This game also requires much more skill than the other CV games, unlike the previous two on the GBA and SotN, you can't really power level because it really doesn't help too much and thats a good thing. However this goes agaisn't what Iga said, since the reason for him creating this type of gameplay was to avoid numerous deaths due to an unskilled player. But the challenge is what makes it all the more fun. Next is the touch screen, its almost completely optional, except when fighting a boss and when in a room full of ice. When you defeat a boss your prompted to use the magic seal. If you don't complete the seal on time or draw it improperly, the boss will get some health back and start **** all over again. The top screen can be used as a map or status screen but I can pause the game for that.

Replay - 9
The replay value is pretty high on this game, theres tons of souls to collect, not to mention a gameplay mode similar to CVIII for the NES. Boss rush and time attack also make a return as well as the soul trade mode.

Average - 8.3
This game is out over here and is well worth the $30, however, I don't think I'll consider buying the US version anytime soon. For all those thinking this was gonna be the next SotN, it was close but no cigar. But don't let that discourage you from getting this great title.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #206
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Soma didn't go off to "save" Mina in my version. In fact Mina stayed at home, and she isn't truly in the game again until the end.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #207
gearhound
Versus the World

dawn of sorrow is the best castlevania since symphony. playing as julius belmont kicks ass.

i am curious, messanic... what did you give harmony of dissonance?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:14 AM   #208
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
dawn of sorrow is the best castlevania since symphony. playing as julius belmont kicks ass.

i am curious, messanic... what did you give harmony of dissonance?

I didn't review it yet, but I found it entertaining, I can review that game from memory as I've already beat the game.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #209
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Good review. I want to play this game, though I'm not dying to. I doubt you'd enjoy Curse of Darkness. I'm about 75% in (there's 106% total) and it's like Lament of Innocence except that the lead role, Hector, fights more akin to Alucard than to a Belmont (although you can play as one after you've beaten it, as you'd expect). BTW....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
Icarus and Joe, I highly recommend that you both buy this title and the Saturn controller. This is one awsome game and one of the very few awsome import titles you can find for under $60.
Yes, I own Vampire Collection or whatever it's called for Dreamcast import. :cool guy:
Old 11-05-2005, 03:23 AM   #210
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Yes, I own Vampire Collection or whatever it's called for Dreamcast import. :cool guy:

Vampire Collection is an arcade perfect collection of all five Vampire/Darkstalkers games on the PS2. In Vampire/Darkstalkers Chronicle for DC and PSP, you simply select the playstyle for that character, heres an example. If you want to use Felecia's litter box kick, you have to either play Vampire or Vampire Hunter, but in Chronicle, you have to select Vampire Mode or Vampire Hunter mode to use that attack.