The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-05-2005, 02:09 AM   #181
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

DMC3 = Just another game bought and sold by my brother. He even sold Ys VI, that freak!
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:37 AM   #182
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
DMC3 = Just another game bought and sold by my brother. He even sold Ys VI, that freak!
holy freakin' cow! that is crazy
Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 AM   #183
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I know. Complete madness! He even sold Shining Tears off after just about two days with it....
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 AM   #184
gearhound
Versus the World

what did you think of shining tears?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:04 AM   #185
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I never got the chance to play it because he returned it. There goes that opportunity.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #186
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Tales of Symphonia

I might as well not have a now playing list or coming soon reviews, I have a tendancy to play a different game or want to review certain games when I feel I need to. So no longer am I using a now playing list or a list for what I'm playing, this review is for Tales of Symphonia, yes I've played it plenty, I just had yet to review it. It was on my mind since I had already been ranting about bad GCN games and somebody just had to bring it up, I'm also playing the superior Tales of Eternia, now heres the review.

Story - 2
This game is set in the same world as Tales of Phantasia, another superior game in this series. However it's set a couple thousand years behind it, yet theres all this new stuff in this game, but I'm not gonna hold that against Namco. What I am gonna hold against them is the fact that they let such crap come out of thier doors. This game is as cliched as it gets, but what even worse is that theres no individualism in this game and heres why. The main character is an idiot, has a friend with common sense, isn't from the village he gets exiled from, and gets chased by more annoying bastards because of a certain amulet he has. Oh yeah, theres also a "Tower of Salvation" for all you Lunar 2 fans and what even better is that theres a female heroin whom just happens to have to go on a pilgrimage to save a world that looks just fine, and thats it. The game is also so lighhearted that it's more booring than a crappy 3 year old show on PBS, and all Tales games have always been aimed at all ages.

Graphics - 8
I won't lie, the graphics in this game are sweet, nice crisp and clear, full 3d, bright colors, and well done character and enemy designs. The game takes an nice approach to the mildly deformed characters that Namco have been doing since the first Tales game. This game also runs at a constant 60fps, but I'm taking points off for the ugly ass world map, not only does it look like crap, it runs at 30fps and drops lower, and the draw distance isn't even that great.

Sound - 8
Standard Motoi Sakuraba, I expected no more and no less, but you can't really tell at first since it sounds as though he got a new sound equipment. Theres also a voice acting and while the voice acting isn't the best in video game history, it can grate on your nerves.

Gameplay - 8
This may be the best part of Namco's Tales series, but it isn't the meat and potatoes of an RPG. The battle system is also a little flawed, the new multiple line battle system is basically the Tales series' traditional realtime battle engine in 2d/ 3d. I say that because your still fighting on a line and while it may be a line, things can still attack you from an angle. The problem is easily dealt with but still not as effeicient as one may think. The battle camera is also crap when you want to play with more people, and only four people are actually useful manual characters with Lloyd being the top tier character. The thing is you can only keep two of the three other characters and the mages are freakin' booring, weak and useless unless their healing or in a corner casting a spell on an enemy.

Characters - 1
All the characters are weak, theres a reason why Stan and Rutee made it into Namco X Capcom and not Lloyd and Colette. Those characters had substance, this is something that all but one character in Tales of Symphonia are lacking. All characters are flat and static, theres no chang in any of them, except maybe Colette as she stops talking from all the crap she's been through in the game, but she eventually starts talking again, so there was no real point to silence her. Zelos was supposedly crass in the Japanese version, while a can't officially confirm this, he got the most laughs from me. Everyone else I felt were just stupid and whining over nothing, which many of them did through the whole damned game. Especially Lloyd with his stupidity, Regal with his contradictions of limiting himself, and Kratos whom just wouldn't shut up about how much better Lloyd was than him in battle.

Replay - 3
At some point I gave up playing this game, and I'm trying to force myself to play it agian and see what was so great about it. I know the only thing that I'm gonna enjoy is the battle system but that isn't what I look for in an RPG.

Overall - 5
This game is so fucking overrated it's funny, it thankfully isn't the only RPG the GCN has to offer, but it is one of the stinkers of the few. It would be nice if Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Legendia hit the GCN, those seem to be way better storywise and character wise than this crap.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #187
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

are they releasing any more tales games state side?

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #188
Nem
Smash bro!

My crystal ball predicts Namco's idiocy will lead them to release Tales of Legendia on western territories just cause it has 3D. The 2D ones will continue to be Japan only for reasons that only Namco executives can enumerate (mainly beeing that the games are actually 2D).
Old 04-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #189
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

ToS is mediocre. I feel that Namco is playing the Tales card a little too much. How many more Tales games are they gonna make before people realize that they're just paying for the same game in a new package? I wouldn't even take up issue with this if there weren't 3 new Tales titles coming out seemingly every month. Either make some substantial improvements/changes or do something else.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 AM   #190
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Tales of Eternia

This review is dedicated to not just Tales of Eternia for the PSP, but for the PS1, I'm not going to refer to it as Tales of Destiny II because thier the same game. This game also has a few dumb translations, like Cless being called Cress, Klarth being Clark, and other stupid name changes. I've been playing the hell out of this game since I got it, well I had to stop for a week due to waiting for a non defective PSP. This game isn't as overrated as Tales of Symphonia because of all the competition Namco had to deal with on the PS1 in the US, but that isn't the case now. They can release this game for the PSP by the end of the year, along with the other games we missed out on the PS2, or they can be stupid and not do it. Sure we get Tales of Legendia, but that isn't until next February, either way, thier a good company when it comes to game development, by passing these up in the US is stupid as there arent any Final Fantasy games to deal with. Now then, onward to the review.

Story - 8 both
A little girl crash lands at the back of your village, and tries to warn you of your planets impending doom. But you don't understand a damn word, not to mention the chief is pissed at you and your friend for bringing misfortune on the village, and having some creepy guy blow a hole in the side of his house. So he kicks your female buddy out along with the little girl, and you reluctantly follow. You all then proceed to track down your childhood bookworm of a friend for help, but when you get to his school you learn that he got suspended. Once all four of you are all together, you head to some village in a huge tree, talk to the chief there and he gives your party something to understand the little girl. Well, it turns out that the impending doom is called the Great Fall, her planet known as Celestia will crash with your planet known as Inferia. Funny thing is that both these planets make up Eternia, hence the name Tales of Eternia.

Graphics - PS1 8/PSP 7
The PS1 version was pretty, but it ran at 30fps in battle, on the world map and even in the menu's. The only time the PS1 version didn't run at 30fps was in a town or dungeon. The PSP version runs at 60fps at all times and the 3d graphics are much better on it, the polygon count is also the same for the PSP version. The reason why the PSP version scores lower than the PS1 version is because while it ran at 60fps and the 3d looked better than what was on the PS1, the 2d suffered. The 2d had those nasty graphical glitches and black borders you get when playing a PS1 game on an emulator or on PS2.

While it isn't that bad, it does hurt the game a little in the visuals, the other bad thing is that the background for the battles had thier resolution lowered and the only smooth thing in battle are the sprites and 3d effects. Other than that, there are quite a few fmv's in the game, the prettiest ones all have the anime chracters in it, the rest look like generic 3d stuff you see in nearly every game back in 1998-2000. The enemy and character designs are what you'd expect in a Tales game, the characters are also mildly deformed unlike the games before it, and realistically proportioned to match their anime and concept art counterparts. All in all, despite the minor flaws of the PSP version, this game is pretty on both the PS1 and PSP.

Sound - 8 both
Once again Motoi Sakureba delivers, and the game ported well to the PSP. I don't really have any qualms in this area, none of the tracks are overdone or excruciatingly booring. All the tracks get you into the game, and theres no real offsetting of pace in the game. This game also features voice acting, but thats been a trademark since the first game. The voice acting for both sides are also equally enjoyable, there are some annoying things on both fronts but not enough for me to turn it off.

Gameplay - 9 both
Heres where the game excels, the battle system, why does it get a better rating than the GCN game? Because everybody has a use, like ToS, this game also supports four players for the PS1, but not for the PSP. I hope that that isn't true it would be nice to play with others, but the game is pretty fun by yourself anyway. The battle system is pretty straight forward too, rape or get raped, the combo's are also a little hard to link up at first, but after learning better skills and realizing what works with what, your good to go. You can also get the Combo Command item when you've collected enough lens, the Combo Command lets you control the character as if they were in a fighting game.

This game is also around 30 hours, the first disc can be finished in 10 hours or less on the PS1 but it takes a little longer on the PSP. No, the PSP version is not multiple UMD's, so the game doesn't ask for another disc when you've finished a certain part of the game. You go through a lot of stuff in this game and before you know it, the game is over. But the game is by no means easy, it's fairly challenging, I play on hard to get more exp and bigger combo's, but the bosses are no joke on this difficulty. All in all, this game has a very well done battle system, this was also the first game in the series to introduce all the awsome stuff like combo bonus', grade points and New game +.

Characters - 8 both
Heres where it gets interesting, the camp scenes were taken out of the US version, and I don't know why. Buy the Select skits are all there, and thier not really skits at all because all the characters say the same stuff in the US verison, it's the camp scenes that have all the funny dialogue and character development, moreso funny dialogue. The voice acting also helps, however, the characters are exactly the same nomatter which version your playing. Rid, pronounced "Reed," average joe hero with the common sense of a black man in horror films, he can also cook.

Farah is the head strong tomboy of a heroin, who can still be very effiminate, my favorite type of woman actually. Meredy is the little girl that all the lolicons in Japan would love to have for dinner, coming from a "primitve" planet with more advanced tecnology than the one she's trying to save. Keel is your genius that worries and talks just too much and studies so much that he puts Refil and Genius to shame. This game also has a rating for all ages in Japan and Teen here, all the stuff that was acceptable for children back in the early 90's is all here. Thankfully the game didn't put me to sleep like ToS did for charactes, but thats because this cast wasn't doing stupid **** throughout this whole game.

Replay - 8 both
Theres a new game plus, a grade shop, you can fight Cless and Arche and hard and hardcore mode, get to level 250 and beat the crap out of Neried. Theres quite a bit of replay value left in this game and before anyone asks, yes I have a limited knowledge of Japanese, but I can still play the game. I've played the game in English already and I'm teacing myself Japanese just from playing the game this way. However, Kanji's a bitch, unless the characters are talking or it's a character skill, I can't read the Kanji in this game. None the less, I still enjoyed this game and am still enjoying this game.

Overall - PS1 8.1/PSP 8
Nothiing new and nothing old, it's the same game nomatter what language or console you play it with. The jokes are and dialogue that were left in the US version are exactly the same. The release for the US version on the PSP is TBA, so Ebay the PS1 version or import the PSP version but take note that a Japanese version for PS1 is cheaper than a new PSP copy.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #191
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Yoshi's Touch and Go

Just before my buddy went to Jacon Friday, I convinced him to rent a DS game from BBV since he works there. At first I wanted to rent a PSP game, but all the games werent that far off from the release date. So we got Yoshi's Touch and Go instead, Gamspot gave this game a 7 I believe, according to Paper anyway. See what rating I give this game.

Graphics - 6
2d is nice, but it's not something that was used right on the DS, theres no fluent animations and it looks like it was a recycled graphics engine from the GBA. I expected over the top eye candy from the DS, especially with the way the new Castvania looks in comparison to the older CV games on PS1 and GBA. There was thankfully no slowdown and theres a buttload of stuff on the screen in this game. Baby Mario and Luigi, Shyguy's, Skipe thingys, Power Stars, Coins, you name it, its there. They also recoloered the sprites and gave them a few new animations, but even still, this is the DS, I expect more.

Sound - 6
The sound wasn't particularly good or bad, it was just there, the cute little noises that Yoshi made, got old back in Yoshi's Story for the N64. The stupid voice overs from the Baby Mario Bros in Double Dash are also in this game, their still not cute and just as annoying. There are like four new tracks and the rest are simply redone tracks that everyone has been familiar with in all the Mario games in history.

Gameplay - 5
I'll admit, it is addictive and it is fun, but Yoshi's Touch and Go feels like a watered down version of Super Mario World 2, and if not that, a compilation five minigames without the actual full game. This game could have made for a nice little platform game with awsome bosses like the ones found in past great Mario games, but instead you have this. The worst part is that theres no use of the face buttons at all, I know that the DS is supposed to give you new ways to play a game, but Nintendo showed us that you'll need more than just the touch screen to play a game. Feel the Magic and Wario Ware are excluded because these games are much more polished and have set the standard for a compilation of minigames on the DS. But enough about my qualms of this game, the basic idea of the four single player game modes is to guide Baby Mario through the sky by drawing clouds with the stylus until a Yoshi catches him. You can grab coins along the way and draw circles around your enemys to trap them in bubbles and throw the at Baby Mario as they turn into coins when doing so.

You can even blow into the microphone and make the clouds go away, but it's more of a nuisance than a useful gameplay mechanic. Depending on how many coins you have will determine how many eggs the Yoshi on the ground part can carry, how fast that Yoshi will walk and what color it will be. The premise for the ground part of the stages is the same, except this time you have the ability to attack enemy's by throwing eggs at them, and you have to eat fruit to get more eggs. The eggs also allow you to get and attack enemys and coins that are unreachable and depending on how many coins and enemies you hit in a row will affect your score. The stage stops when you reach the goal, the premise of the Battle mode is the same except thing you don't have to worry about whats on the top screen and you have to reach the goal before your opponent.

Replay - 8
Sadly, this is the only thing that keeps this game going, after five or twenty minutes of gameplay I get bored of it. But I keep coming back to it, while handheld games are supposed to be played in short amounts of time, this game hasn't made me want to play it for more than an hour or two, which is how handheld games should be played, even though I used to play handheld games for more than three hours.

Overall - 6.3
Yes Paper, this game isn't that great. At first I thought I might have another great game for the DS, but I'm not sure I want to spend $29.99 +tax on a game that doesn't feel complete.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:06 AM   #192
Paper exe
Pwnd

Good reivew but did you read my reivew on the same game?because I give it a low score too.
about GameSpot they give it 7.2 and that is the same score as another Nintendo game for NDS which was something strang and that what I was pointing at and there scores dose not work like that.
I write all the reasons in that thread so if you want to you can go there and read why and what I am talking about.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:33 AM   #193
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I played Multi-player Yoshi's Touch Me and Go and Don't Even Call Me in the Morning. You can use 1 cart for 2 DS's. Basically whoever touches something first dies.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:43 AM   #194
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Sounds terrible, like it was a rush job. And it probably was. I guess that Nintendo figured that it wasn't gonna be a huge seller so, they figured, there was no need to put in the extra effort to make the game very fun to play.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #195
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Ridge Racer Type 4 + Ridge Racer (PSP)

Hello again, it's time for another review, from the great Messanic. This time, I'll be reviewing Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ridge Racer for the PSP. Both these games have the same premise, and both games are super awsome. Now it's time for the review.

Graphics - R4 9/RRPSP 9
While R4 is a little old, my jaw still drops when I play this game. R4 is gorgeous, it came out six years ago and I can still say that. While GT2 came out around that time, R4 still managed to use photorealism on the cars and tracks. It on;y ran at 45fps, but still smooth and still awsome, R4 managed to show just what Namco can do with a home console.

RR on the PSP is even more pretty and as a result, it sucks the battery dry, but who cares. I've been able to get a good 8 hours of gameplay with the brightness at low and sound all the way up. Anyways, unlike R4, RRPSP runs at a constant 60fps, but because the PSP's screen is built out of the same crap used in plasmascreen tv's, the a slight blur in the picture. None the less, photorealism still applies to RR for the PSP and while it isn't GT4, it still looks damned good.

Sound - R4 8/RRPSP 9
Once again, Namco wows me, this time with sound, R4 has a pretty laid back and relaxing OST, driving music. While RRPSP has the best tracks from previous RR titles. Yes, most of your favorites from previous RR titltes are in in RR for PSP, but notice I didn't say all, like Shilouhette Dance, one of the most awsome tracks on R4. RR for the PSP also sports 14 new musical scores from Namco, my personal favorite is Disco Ball.

Gameplay - R4 9/RRPSP 9
R4 and RRPSP both have something very much in common, there are the same exact game, but R4 is a totally different game while RRPSP got a Tekken 5 style programming. They took the best parts of the old RR games, most notably R4 and the original RR, and threw it into RR for PSP. Along with all those awsome parts are the slightly more polished gameplay mechanics from R4, most notably the drift system.

The drift system is used to get Nitro, you can have up to 4 tanks of Nitro and when one tank is full, your boost your way to victory. While Nitro and the drift system is pretty easy to use in RRPSP, the drift system in R4 required a little more skill. Now then, in R4, there are over 200 cars, in RRSP, there are around 45 cars, but while R4 had 8 reversable tracks, RRPSP had taken the best tracks from previous RR titles and made them reversable too. In short, RR for PSP has more tracks to race on.

Replay - R4 10/RRPSP 10
200 some cars to get equals lots of gameplay time, but the same goes for the PSP, not only is there a world tour mode in RR for PSP, but you can also make your own custom and random tours. Theres tons of stuff to unlock in both games, so my advice is to play as much as possible.

Overall - R4 9/RRPSP 9.3
Both games are awsome, both games have style, both games are just plain fun. R4 is pretty damned rare now, but if you can find a copy, then get a copy asap. As for RRPSP, that's around $310+ if you already don't have a PSP, either way, I highly encourage everyone to get these games, thier awsome and fun.