The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #151
gearhound
Versus the World

how is that my problem? i would say that DMC3 is more in-depth than NG, but certainly not the first devil may cry. that, messanic, is a no-brainer.

-there are not multiple weapons in DMC1 like NG
-you can level up your wepons in NG
-there are more moves/combos in NG than DMC1
-you can level up each weapon, and each weapon has multiple moves, unlike DMC1
-there are more items at your disposal in NG

see? it is a no-brainer!!

and what did you mean when you said there is more trial and error in NG than DMC? care to elaborate?

Last edited by gearhound; 03-07-2005 at 03:43 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #152
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Like I said GH, not my problem, I got lost in the gameplay of DMC, whereas NG just made me want to chuck the controller at the tv screen due to all the cheap deaths I got. The difficulty was easily dealt with after I died like three times on the same part, and I agree that anyone that complains about the camera sucks at this game. Basically, I was able to flow more in DMC whereas in NG I was always on my toes, I was never at ease in that game. There were so many times where a ninja with exploding shuriken or kunai's would throw one at me and I'd die. Ninja Gaiden was also a linear game, DMC was also a linear game, and then it wasn't. There are also multiple weapons and devil triggers in DMC.

Last edited by Messanic; 03-07-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #153
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Y's VI does NOT have an awesome OST, especially when compared to other Y's games. Seriously, it sounds like generic MIDI.

are you kidding?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #154
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Apparently the version I heard was the PC version or something. It sounded like complete ass.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #155
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
Like I said GH, not my problem, I got lost in the gameplay of DMC, whereas NG just made me want to chuck the controller at the tv screen due to all the cheap deaths I got. The difficulty was easily dealt with after I died like three times on the same part, and I agree that anyone that complains about the camera sucks at this game. Basically, I was able to flow more in DMC whereas in NG I was always on my toes, I was never at ease in that game. There were so many times where a ninja with exploding shuriken or kunai's would throw one at me and I'd die. Ninja Gaiden was also a linear game, DMC was also a linear game, and then it wasn't. .
yes, i completely understand. ninja gaiden was much harder than devil may cry and the damn game keep you moving at a constant rate in order to stay alive. the action is NG is devastating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
There are also multiple weapons and devil triggers in DMC.
yeah, but not as much a ninja gaiden.

Last edited by gearhound; 03-07-2005 at 11:02 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #156
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Ninja Gaiden

One of the best games for the Xbox, and this was one of the games that made me want an Xbox. After the last 2 crappy sequals to DoA, I was craving for a new Ninja Gaiden game. Tomonobu Itagaki decided to make the best action game ever, and he did, for the Xbox anyway. Ninja Gaiden borrows many things from previous great action games, and elaborates on them very well, heres the review.

Story - The Black Dragon Sword, which is said to turn whoever holds it, is turned into a demon, is one powerful sword. This weapon grants massive power but as I've said, you immediatly become a demon from just touching it. Anyways, Ryu Hayabusa's clan is supposed to be gaurding that particular weapon, but his clan is obliterated along with him. However some stupid bird brings him back and he will stop at nothing to avenge his clan.

Graphics - 10
This game is pretty, realistic, and while it follows suit of Western realism, it still manages to draw you into the Eastern type of character design and such. This game never chokes up either, it's always running at a constant 60 fps, and just... Wow, this game is fuckin' pretty.

Sound - 8
The music is pretty unnoticable, if theres any, but voice acting and sound effects are spot on. There are also two tracks, you can listen to this game in English and Japanese, even though it would be more authentic in Japanese, I left it in English since the English voice acting is actally good.

Gameplay - 8
This game is hard, until you die a few times, then it's a cake walk until you reach another new area. Now trial and error was never something that I liked since I usually got into the flow of a game without dying, but this game wouldn't let me do that. This game is also linear, theres no going back once you've completed a stage, you can save midway into a stage, but some save points are a little hard to find. There are also shops in each stage where you can buy weapons, items, etc. The camera supposedly gets in peoples way, but thats not the case for me as the "bad" camera is actually a big part of the combat system.

With that, the combat system is awsome, but again, theres no real flow in this game for me, as I'm more prone to cheap deaths and mistakes for some odd reason. Most of your attacks are also outprioritized when fighting bosses, and even nameless flunky's. However, you defense is the biggest priority that you have in this game, turning it into a game of 'Red Light, Green Light.' Needless to say, I still enjoyed 'Red Light, Green Light,' as a kid, and this game is very enjoyable.

Replay - 8
Regardless of the "impossible" difficulty, I would still play this game, however, I see no point in having the Hurricane Packs. Sure the Xbox has a HD, but you need Xbox live and fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place is just stupid. By that I mean that the Hurricane packs don't make the game harder but different.

Overall - 8.5
This is a great game, and it isn't the greatest action game of all time, but it is one of the best out there. Crater Face made one of the best action games, but he can't continue to boost his ego as there are games like DMC3 that say otherwise. The first three Ninja Gaiden games are also available after you beat the game, so if you like those awsome and damned near impossible action games, inspired by Castlevania, play them after completing the main game, I know I am.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #157
gearhound
Versus the World

dude, i can't believe you said the music was unnoticable! i thought NG had a pretty good soundtrack. who's with me??

hello?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #158
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I don't remember one single tune from Ninja Gaiden. I do remember it playing in the background though and it was just kind of "there".
Old 03-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #159
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
I don't remember one single tune from Ninja Gaiden. I do remember it playing in the background though and it was just kind of "there".
you know you can play the music in the options menu. NG has a pretty good soundtrack.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #160
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Really? There's a sound test? If there is I must have completely overlooked it, which is odd because I always look for sound tests.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #161
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yes, there is. I brought it up in my review awhile back, I think. That's how I knew the song titles. While some are them are befitting of the scenes and boss encounters, it's not really what I'd consider to be a listenable, enjoyable soundtrack. Good for the game, I suppose. But not as good as Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2. No way.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #162
gearhound
Versus the World

yes, the music is awesome during gameplay and bosses for sure. some of it is ok while other songs certainly standout, like the fire level.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:51 AM   #163
gearhound
Versus the World

hey, messanic... keep up those reviews, man!!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:47 AM   #164
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I will, and once I've gotten a good PSP in posession, I'll review it as well.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 AM   #165
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Psp

As you all know, the PSP was released yesterday at precisely 12am, and I got mine at 12am. My PSP also had dead pixels, and other defects, enought to make me want to take it back and get another one. While I did get my PSP exchanged, I still had to wait a good 4 hours to do so, I don't sleep much. Since I overslept, I decided to call BBV as it was around 11 when I awoke. Luckily they had some PSP's left and they had apparently been getting the same phone calls that I was making. The manager there set my defective PSP up for display and I ended up with a working PSP, and two copies of Spiderman 2 and the 32mb memory stick. I also picked up Darkstalkers Chronicle that same time, but more on that in my next review.

Design - 8
The PSP is one sexy looking peice of hardware, but the glossy ass front is just horrible for evading dust and fingerprints. The cleaning cloth that comes with it is awsome at getting rid of this, however, the fact that the PSP is able to get all these fingerprints on it is just an eyesore. I also don't have any problems with any of the buttons and I felt right at home. You can also set the time, date, and even name your PSP. The PSP also play movies, mp3's, but most importantly, games. It's a very confortable handheld and it fits nice and snug into my hands.

Durability - 9
The PSP is pretty resilient, keep in mind the actual screen is under the glossy cover, so the iron wool rumor might still be true. Other than that, my PSP is pretty sturdy, the PSP I had before, I actually ran a few tests. One of them was the screen, I scratched it with my nail, DS stylus, and a small screwdriver, while I didn't stab the fucking thing, I made good use of my experiments and I can say that the screen doesn't scratch that easy. To avoid things like those sctratches, buy a screen protector, you will need it. While minor scrapes are easily dealt with, concrete is not.

Games - 9
The PSP had 24 games at launch and most of them don't suck, but some of them are $50. It's a ripoff, I'd rather play my $30 copy of Spiderman 2 for the PSTwo with no slowdown and better graphics. Yes, the PSP version has different levels and such, but it doesn't warrant a $50 purchase. The only other bad thing about the PSP is that the future titles are non existant at this point. The launch was phenominal, but I see nothing in the future, and if this trend stays like this, it'll be easier for me buy DS and PSP titles. Heres hoping that Namco isn't too pussy to release Tales of Eternia(Tales of Destiny II) here for the PSP. Now then, I only have Darkstalkers Chronicle for the PSP, however, I'm not sure what to get next with the DS there were only two games worth getting, the PSP has at least four times as many games I want. Gaming on the go is the way I think things through on the PSP, thats why I'm having a hard time deciding on which game to get.

Graphics - 9
Hands down, this has some awsome visuals, the PSP is basically a PS2 in your pocket with a simple graphics filter, but using that whole potential is obviously overkill. So how do the games look? They look awsome, and I'll say this right now, DSC has all the frames of animation in, nothing is left out, but again more on that later. The only downside is that the screen is like one of the HD screens, it has a bit of motion blur when playing games that run at fast framerates, this makes the games seem a bit slower. None the less, I find the display the screen has just as sexy and clear as the DS' top screen.

Sound - 9
The sound is great, fairly loud too, the headphones make it even better. The two little speakers on the PSP are just too small to put out high quality stereo sound. The headphones change all that though, the sound is much louder, and more clear. While I think the DS has a better sound system without headphones, the PSP kills the DS when actually using headphones.

Battery - 9
Contrary to what many may believe, the battery life lasted longer than I thought it would have. I lasted the whole day on on charge, and I didn't even charge it all the way. My battery was at 90% around 2 and I had been playing it until 9 and it was still on 21%. The battery also takes little time to charge, all you need is an hour and a half and your good. I was also watching movies, messing with the network settings and playing games on it the whole time.

Overall - 8.8
I was very impressed with the PSP, dissapointed at my defective one, but most impressed with my good one. While the $250 price point might scare some people away, it's worth it. If you think that you wont get another PSP if yours is defective, regardless of what Sony supposedly said, many stores that sell the PSP will gladly accomidate you.

Last edited by Messanic; 03-26-2005 at 03:47 AM.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote