Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #31
gearhound
Versus the World

you bet! i can't wait to write it.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #32
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Looks like we'll both have up our GoW reviews tommorrow; I just beat it about an hour ago. :cool guy:
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 05:35 AM   #33
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The "thumbs up" icon means Icarus LOVES the game.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #34
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I enjoyed it tremendously in some areas, though there were some parts where it was repetitious. I'll review it shortly.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #35
gearhound
Versus the World

God of 3-D action? Pretty damn close!

What you're looking at is one of the best action games on the Playstation 2

God of War
System: Playstation 2
Developer: SCEA
Publisher: SCEA
Release: March 2005

Overview
In 2001 the groundbreaking Devil May Cry was released. In 2002 the incredible Rygar busted onto the scene, and in 2003 a spectacular piece of gaming for the Xbox called Ninja Gaiden graced our presence. This year, Capcom, with members of the first Devil May Cry team, pumped out Devil May Cry 3, an unbelievable, over-the-top action experience. Two weeks later we get God of War. Developed by Sony?s Santa Monika Studio, the same team who developed Kinetica, God of War is here to take you by storm with its awesome fighting engine, innovative puzzles, and some fantastic platforming all of which are fueled by an awe-inspiring, epic soundtrack that will raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Story: 8/10
Join Kratos, a legendary spartan who is filled with rage, in his lion-hearted adventure of triumph, revenge, agony, and outright brutality as he seeks to destroy the God of War, Ares. You will encounter many mythological Gods and beasts throughout your journey. God of War offers epic story telling the likes of which I have not seen in quite some time. Prepare yourself for an experience of grandiose proportions as you kill, rip, and utterly annihilate the demons of the underworld as they lay siege to the glorious city of Athens, all unleashed by the hand of Ares. You must save Athens before the city is lost forever as well as yourself?

Graphics: 9.5/10
Make no mistake ? God of War?s visuals will leave you breathless. The Greek inspired areas are very detailed and give the feeling of being present in an ancient time. Battle your way across the war-torn city of Athens where relentless beasts of the underworld make an attempt to halt your quest. You will begin your campaign of vengeance and bloodshed in the Aegean Sea. Soon afterwards, you will find yourself clearing a path through Hades as well as the Desert of Lost Souls and other Greek-inspired areas. Enemy designs are pretty good here. The developers have added their own personal flair to the ancient monsters of Greek mythology by giving them an all-new menacing appearance. Some of the enemy designs could have been a little better, but overall the team at the Santa Monika Studios did a great job. The story is told through absolutely brilliant and magnificent cut-scenes, which add so much to the game; they?re just stupendous.

Sound: 9/10
The sound effects are very life-like and add a lot to the realism. The massive roars and grunts of the age-old beasts of God of War will keep your gaming blood flowing as they scream in pure agony upon defeat. God of War?s soundtrack is incredibly epic and very cinematic, which fits the mood and atmosphere of the game vividly. The score consummates the entire feel and structure of the game leaving your ears in a state of dramatic bliss. The music will empower you on your journey and make you feel like you are actually accomplishing something. This is an epic story of conquest, revenge, and destiny only fueled by a first-rate musical score.

Gameplay: 9/10
God of War somewhat reminds me of Rygar in its execution of moves and overall feel, but God of War adds much more. Kratos wields two blades that are chained to his wrists called Blades of Chaos. These blades can be used to accrue massive combos and string attacks that almost seem endless. Kratos can interact with enemies by throwing them with the touch of the O button (various death animations occur depending on what button follows) or by hitting a sequence of buttons when facing massive enemies and bosses. You can either finish them off normally or perform a final series of blows which allow you to absorb more orbs so you can level up your weapons and magic to obtain new moves and heal. Kratos can block with the R1 button as well as dash in any direction with the right analog stick. This particular move isn't too effective. Sometimes it is difficult to avoid certain attacks coming from some of the more powerful enemies. Kratos can also unleash powerful magic courtesy of the Gods of Olympus on his quest as well. By powering up magic you can learn new magic and increase its potential to obliterate your foes. When Kratos unleashes his rage (Rage of the Gods) he glows with Spartan armor, becoming more powerful and relentless allowing for even more brutal attacks. Fear not, Kratos will not only wield the Blades of Chaos, he will also get his hands on a massive blade that cuts, slices and slams foes to nothingness. On top of all that you get the incredible platforming. You will find yourself balancing across high structures, swinging on ropes, evading massive flaming boulders, climbing walls and mountains, and, well, you just have to play it to see how great it all really is. The puzzles are very unique and are a refreshing break from the pulse-pounding action. The camera is pre-set like Devil May Cry (the first one) so you won't have to struggling with it. For the most part, it is very good and gives you some great perspectives and doesn't impede enemy location.

Overall Experience: 10/10
Would you look at that? It?s another fine action title for the PS2. God of War is a must-have experience for action aficionados. It?s a truly remarkable achievement in the world of action, adventuring, platforming, and puzzle solving. The Santa Monika team has introduced an incredibly original character from the world of Greek mythology. God of War redefines the epic action-adventure. Do not miss out on God of War. Play it, love it, and breathe it. God of War will certainly take you by storm.

Final Score: 9.1/10

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 07:07 PM. Reason: I adjusted the review by lowering the story by one point. it wasn't THAT good.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #36
gearhound
Versus the World

gradius V is next, you freaks.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #37
Paper exe
Pwnd

:yikes:
I knew that I forgot something I bought alot of games today and then I forgot about Human of Wars.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #38
gearhound
Versus the World

what is human of wars?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #39
Paper exe
Pwnd

That game that released in March 2005 and that was made by Sony and you just reivew it.

Note-I called it Human of Wars because that what they should call it and saying that there is more then one God or saying that God is not the kindest or God look like a ..(I cannot even say it) is all wrong and I will never say it the only reason that I will buy it because you and SFS said alot of good things about it.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #40
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, i figured. do you not like greek mythology, paper?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #41
Nem
Smash bro!

I cant wait to have God of War. Since the moment i saw the footage and the story/setting ive been wanting it badly. Besides, it seems to be receiving good reviews from everyone. Ill also review it around the end of June, after i get my hands on it

I wonder who will try to clone this game with Roman mythology first?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #42
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Probably those damned thieves at Tecmo. I bet they try to put Rygar in a Greek setting or something. Those damned thieves! As for Roman mythology, there is that one game called.... ummm.. yeah. But you play as a Gladiator. Trivia fact: Did you know that gladiators did not fight to the death? Gladiators were highly paid celebrities (like sports stars of today) except they they were owned by others. Whenever a death happened, it was considered an accident just like boxing. The movie "Gladiator" gets it all wrong. It is also a horrible movie.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:16 AM   #43
gearhound
Versus the World

man, it takes me a while to get completely satisfied with a review. i guess it's because i am not used to it.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:18 AM   #44
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Definitely, Joe. That film was overrated garbage. I saw it once and never want to see it again.

Good review, gearhound, though I question the "redefines the epic action-adventure" statement. If anything, it typifies it; it brought little new to the table. But your writing is top-notch, which is good to see. "The score consummates the entire feel and structure of the game leaving your ears in a state of dramatic bliss." If only I felt the same way. But just out of curiosity, which soundtrack do you prefer, Rygar or GoW?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:31 AM   #45
gearhound
Versus the World

thanks for the comments, icarus. i like the soundtrack to rygar more than god of war. i need to review rygar next! :cool guy:

i think that GoW was pretty original insofar as being an epic action-adventure game. i think that has a lot to do with the music and entire theme. i haven't played a game like that in a long time. i think i may have stated that in the wrong way... oh well.

Last edited by gearhound; 04-05-2005 at 02:36 AM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote