The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #31
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
This sentence makes no sense. The Genesis isn't a shooter, is it?
Of course not, but the Genesis had far more arcade ports than the SNES and shooters are a standard of the arcade scene, so it was more of a comparison of being SNES exclusive.

Quote:
The city is the third stage; the water caverns is the fourth.
Innocent mistake. The water caverns are so simple I forget it often.

Quote:
?
I just thought it would spice up the review to add my own anecdotal experience. It seriously sounded like he was saying "good night."

Quote:
I'll have to take your review with a grain of salt because you're not very experienced in the shooter genre. Not that I have anything against you.
This may be true, but I'm no newcomer when it comes to games in general. I know what I like and what I don't like. I know good music when I hear it and I have heard better music in other shooters even though Axelay's is very good.

Quote:
I don't think I'm wrong here but I think the total is 8. You begin with three + obtain one per stage completed sans the final stage.
There are nine weapon slots. I just assumed I'd missed one somehow.

Quote:
Dude, there's six stages in the game, even on the hardest difficulty.
*shrug* The last one is pretty damn long.

Quote:
Fixed.
Not so much. There is no way Axelay is a near perfect game by any measurement. It has next to no replay value and why does it feel so slow? It's good, but it isn't amazing.

Last edited by Xander; 04-20-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #32
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Too much slowdown and the second half of the game is boring, plus the music kind of sucks during the second half as well. My review of the game is teh perfect.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #33
gearhound
Versus the World

no, joe. my review of axelay is definitive. by the way, if you think axelay has a lot of slowdown, play thunder sprits on the snes. i am sure you have. the slowdown in that game is ridiculous. there really isn't too much slowdown in axelay. but i will say that it is one of the best shooters of the 16-bit era, for sure.

if you don't agree with me, you're wrong.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #34
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I rented Thunder Spirits. The only thing I remember is that it was inferior. That was a loooong time ago. What do you think the best shooter of the 16-bit era was (and that includes the Neo Geo)?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #35
gearhound
Versus the World

i haven't played many on the neo geo, but i would give a nod to axelay or thunder force IV... or r-type II.

pulstar is bad ass. i'm not sure if r-type II is 16 bit... i'm thinking 24 bit arcade.

there is probably more but i can't think of many right now...

you?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #36
Joe Redifer
Olé!

R-Type 2? The arcade hardware was very, very 16-bit. I don't think there are any 24-bit CPU's in existence.

As for shooters I like all Thunder Forces, but I like TF5 the least out of them all. Gaiares is really cool as is Gley Lancer and others I can't think of right now. Pulstar was too slow. I liked the original R-Type... Master System and TurboGrafx-16 versions... not the arcade because the arcade had super crappy sound.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 AM   #37
gearhound
Versus the World

i figured it was 16 bit. have you played r-type II arcade? r-type II on the arcade is awesome. i have to disagree about the sound, though; i think the music in r-type II is pretty good. definately one of my favorite arcade shooters... along with raiden, strikers, aero fighters, and gunbird is just outstanding. the do don pachi series is really good. the playstation version of r-type 1 and II are near perfect translations. the turbo grapx version isn't too impressive. also, r-type III on the snes is pretty good.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 AM   #38
Joe Redifer
Olé!

R-Type 2 arcade had decent sound, a bit better than R-Type 1 arcade which was extremely weak. Despite their limited sound chips, both the Sega Master Systems and TurboGrafx-16 versions of R-Type 1 are far more pleasing to listen to than the real arcade. Super R-Type on the SNES is also much more pleasing audibly than the arcade R-Type 2. Irem used some crappy sound hardware in their arcades, as every single one of their arcade games sound bad, with the home versions sounding better (except for Vigilante which sounds like ass no matter where you play it).
Old 04-21-2006, 01:55 AM   #39
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, snes r-type had a good soundtrack. i agree about the sound in the first r-type; it was pretty weak. the arcade sound of r-type II seemed weak and didn't stand out, although the music was pretty good but you could hardly hear it.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #40
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I hardly think Irem's arcade music sucked. Maybe in their early years, but games such as In The Hunt and R-Type Leo had cool soundtracks. Some arcades had terrible soundtracks because many developers felt that since the arcades were usually noisy the most important aspects were the visuals and sound effects/voice. However, as more and more developers realized the importance of porting their popular arcade titles to home, they began to consider the music much more relevant. Nobody wanted to be held up for a long time just because they 'forgot' to include a semi-decent soundtrack.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #41
gearhound
Versus the World

r-type II arcade had good music.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #42
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Oh yeah I forgot about R-Type Leo. The arcade did have a good soundtrack with great sound quality.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #43
gearhound
Versus the World

i have not payed r-type leo. i bet it's awesome.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #44
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
although the music was pretty good but you could hardly hear it.
Hardly heard music is a law on all shooters at lets the dozen shooters that I own have that law and all that not including Emulator. All what I can hear on Shooters is noisy sound effects.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:43 PM   #45
gearhound
Versus the World

there is no such law. you must be playing crappy shooters.