Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-04-2005, 02:57 AM   #16
Alucard

You mean you only played it last year?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #17
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Ha ha lol rofl no. I've never played it ever. I was a Sega fanboy (still am) and it was a Nintendo game. I just saw the magazine ads which had the box cover and NO I DID NOT DO THAT WITH GAME MAGS (I know what you're thinking you sicko).
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #18
Alucard

Well wasnt really a nintendo game. It was a PC game and converted to consoles. Was even on the C64 and Amiga etc.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #19
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Well wasnt really a nintendo game. It was a PC game and converted to consoles. Was even on the C64 and Amiga etc.
I had the pc one but I never got around to playing enough of it. I only got through 2 minutes and just stopped.... I guess because the characters looked like lego blocks. Hmm it was on the C64 nd Amiga? I should check it out.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Day of The Tentacle

Ok you guys knew I was going to eventually do this. But I figured I may as well get this game out the way since I just did a Maniac Mansion review.

Maniac Mansion - Day of The Tentacle

Ok, this game is the sequel to the NES/PC/C64/Amiga/Etc game Maniac Mansion.

STORY
Bernard (from the first MM game) gets a message from weird Ed Edison's new hampter/guinea pig (you all know what happen to his first pet). The message is from the green tentacle, he says that the purple tentacle is trying to take over the world. Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne must go stop purple from taking over the world. They get to the mansion (which seems very altered from the first game) and Dr Edison tells them they must go back in time to stop purple from planing the destruction. They get in the time machinese (which are a bunch of porter-johns) but the crystal to the machines screw up and each of them end up in a different time period. Hoagie is stuck in the past, Bernard in the present and Laverne in the furture. The characters must do what they can in their time to stop purple.

GRAPHICS
Graphically the game is more like a cartoon than the first maniac mansion. This one uses different kinds of odd shapes (mainly on the walls and such). They use somewhat bright colours too. There isn't really too much that I can say about the graphics except that they look better than the previous maniac mansion.

GAMEPLAY
Since this is a pc you must use the mouse to navigate. This is very good because you can move the mouse much quicker and more accurate that the first game. They still have the same kind of system though where the commands are at the bottom of the screen and the gameplay on the top (would make a good DS game *hint hint* lucas arts and nintendo). You can navigate through the different times with the different characters. Putting an item in the toilet (time machine) will let the other 2 characters be able to obtain it. But you can only put one item at a time which at times would get annoying.

SOUND
Since this game is more up to date they were able to improve the sound quality. The music is very weird, it seems very randomized. The have other sound effects but they don't have many of them, the effects themselves were good.

SCORES

Story - 6.5/10 The story wasn't too great, but it did help the game in a way.
Graphics - 7.5/10 The graphics looked good even though some of the were awkward.
Sound - 6/10 The sounds were good but they could've improved them...not the quality but the way the did the sounds

Pheew got that one out the way. Be sure to tune in next time when I become mayor of quahog city, do I have what it takes?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #21
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

How about that -- I didn't even know there was a sequel!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #22
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
How about that -- I didn't even know there was a sequel!
Yup there sure is. It's somewhat hard to find, but I used kazaa once and found it. You should give the game a try. I would love to see them make a full 3D maniac mansion game. They should make it just like the original but in 3D it would rock!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:36 AM   #23
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Yugioh Eternal Duelist Soul

The is the first GBA game that I've ever boughten.

Story
There's really no story behind the game. In fact I don't even think there is a story to the game, it's more or less how the fighting games' stories are just beat up a bunch of people to get to the end and that's how the yugioh story is on this game, just duel a bunch of random people till you kill yourself of bordom.

Graphics
The game has decent graphics. I like how they have cards for every monster, trap and magic card and didn't pull a pokemon red/blue on us and use the same sprite image for every monster or in pokemon's case every pokemon. The game runs smoothly and it's not extreamly pixilated like one of the other yugioh games I've played

Sound
I'm going to say this right now, the bg music on the game is horrible. You're better off turning down the volume on the gba and just whistling you're own tune, or just do like me and blast the stereo. This god-awful music could've been a lot better. Ok at first I understand that they play the little flute-like music during the first tier of opponents but even the harder opponents need to have a high-paced music.

Gameplay
Ok the point of the game is to just battle your opponent using duel monster cards. The first person who's life points reach zero wins, although there are other factors that influece victories but I won't get into all of that. For those who already know how the game is played like the back of their hand they did a good job with the system. It seemed to me like it's played just like the official game. The thing that gets annoying to me is when you have a trap card on the field that can be activated and the computer keeps asking after every damn movement in the game if you want to use the card or not. Many of times that has cost me the match because I would get so frustrated that I would just keep pressing buttons for the text to advance and I didn't realize that I picked the wrong options sometimes. But even with that I have to say the gameplay is good. Also I like how you can input the passwords from your real yugioh cards/deck so this way you can use your custom deck in the game instead.

Scores
Story 3/10: I have to say the story sucked every form of ass known to man. The anime had a good story behind it but without the anime's story the game has even less of a story than it does now.

Sounds 4.5/10: They did a half-assed job with the music.

Graphics 7.5/10: The graphics were good, they weren't great but good. They could've improved a bit with the images when you view each individual card, but it's still good that the have each individual card's image.

Gameplay 9.5/10: The game went along with the official rules (which is good) and how the game itself is played is good, it's a good strategy game.

BTW it did come with the 3 cards inside the box, but I forgot which ones.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #24
Seraph
>:3

I never was even interested in getting Yu-gi-oh games. I really dont get into playing a card game in a videogame. Its why I never got into Yugioh, PSO3, BatienKatos.

Thanks for the review Marionette, it was pretty helpful.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #25
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
I never was even interested in getting Yu-gi-oh games. I really dont get into playing a card game in a videogame. Its why I never got into Yugioh, PSO3, BatienKatos.

Thanks for the review Marionette, it was pretty helpful.
Yeah PSO3 didn't seem to good to me either, once I heard they change the game i said "NUCK THAT!".
Old 10-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #26
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Interesting reviews, MarionetteKazuk. I never played these games. Good work.
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:27 PM   #27
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Just to let everyone know I had a very good shenmue review writtien up but the browser screwed up (which i don't know why I knew it would) and the review went Kaput, so I'm going to type up one right now on my pc and will post it sometime today (or possibly tomorrow).
Old 10-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #28
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Shenmue

Ok this is my second time writing this review.
This game needs no introduction, but I will anyways ^ _ ^
This is the legendary Shenmue game. This is probably one of the best DC games I've played and owned, in fact right now it's the only DC game that I still have the case for it..... but I lost the book *cries*.

Story
The game starts off with a young man named Ryo Hazuki running home one day, it is snowy outside. He gets home and discovers the name board with his family's name has been broken in half and thrown on the floor. Ryo also spots a black car sitting in front of the gate. He proceeds in and finds Ine-san (i'm not exactly sure how she's related to him, if someone could explain it to me) laying on the floor outside. He goes to help her but she said she's fine but to go to the back to the dojo. He goes towards the dojo and suddenly Fuk-san is thrown through the dojo doors. Ryo helps Fuk-san and goes into the dojo, but he is stopped by two men in black suits at the door. He's standing at the door and sees a man in a green chinese suit. The man (Lan-di) demands the Dragon mirror from Ryo's father Iwao. Iwao refuses to give him the mirror. Lan-di then glances at Ryo and grabs him by the neck and hold him in the air with one hand. He threatens to kill Ryo if Iwao doesn't tell him where the mirror is. Iwao gives in and tells him it's burried under the cherry tree, Lan-di throws down Ryo and (without even saying anything) orders his men to find it. The retrieve the mirror, but Lan-di and Iwao engage in battle. Iwao is knocked down by a blow, Ryo runs over and Lan-di gives a blow to Ryo's stomach knocking him across the room. Lan-di allows Iwao to get up and die like a warrior. Iwao gets up and struggles to fight lan-di but lan-di gives a devistating kick to Iwao thus making him fall on the ground once more very injured. Lan-di and his men leave. Ryo crawls over to Iwao and is holding him, Iwao tells Ryo to keep his friends close Iwao then dies.....the snow turns into rain.
The game continues a few days from the incident and Ryo has a nightmare about the day his father was killed. He wakes up vowing that he would get revenge for his death, and he also wants to get back the mirror.

I just have to say this right now, I had to look on gamefaqs about a few things in the game and noticed someone put this when describing the story... "Ryo's father told him about the Phoenix Mirror and then dies." If i'm not mistaken Iwao doesn't tell ryo about the phoenix mirror, in fact ryo doesn't find out about the mirror until he meets master chen at the harbor. I will let them know about their horrible mistake, but back to the review.

Scores

Story 10/10 - This game has a very solid story line to it and the game itself doesn't just rely on the gameplay because the story gets intergrated within making this a very good game.

Graphics 10/10 - This game has the best life-like graphics I've seen on the dreamcast. The game doesn't have just specific part that have good graphics and then the rest is just low-quality, this game's graphics is good through and through. The characters alone have good graphics and when they talk they actually move their mouth and make facial expressions. The building and surrounding areas are detailed very nicely.
The magic-weather was a very nice touch to the game giving it realistic weather by having it sunny some days, raining others, snowy as well and it doesn't stick to just one weather.
In addition to the magic-weather is the time of day. The game's day changes as you're playing (again a very nice touch) and the graphics are just as good when it is night time. The neo lights in Dobouita can be seen clearly and the shadows were done very nicely.

Sound 9.5/10 - The game had very good music to it. The background music as you walk through the game is very good, it's not very loud which will tend to distract from the game. Also they have different music for the different places you go to such as the You Arcade and the Tomato Mart (I love the music from the Tomato Mart ^_^ ). I liked how you can buy tapes to listen to, but the tapes had something to do with the only 9.5/10 score I gave because some of the songs on the tapes weren't too pleasing to me, but at least you can avoid listening to the songs on there which is the reason why I changed the score from 9 to 9.5 because you have that choice of not listening to the songs on there.

Gameplay 9.5/10 - The game had good control in most parts of the game. There were some parts that you would seem to get stuck in and the movement would be somewhat weird. Also I didn't like that when you're going to walk up some stairs that if someone was already walking up the stairs you had to wait until they walked all the way up before ryo can even begin to walk up the stairs (or down the stairs too).
The fighting system was very good and reminds me of virtua fighter, which isn't a suprise seeing as there are virtua fighter capsule toys and posters and such.
Speaking of capsule toys those were pretty neat to have in the game. I would spend a whole bunch of yen on them and add the toys to the collection. Along with that was the soda machine where you could get a winning can, but I don't understand how ryo downs those sodas in like 3 seconds.
The game was very interactive and you could pick up a lot of items. Usually the only items you can pick up are those inside of a shop or ryo's house, but it was a very good feature of the game because it gave you that investigative feel to the game which is good seeing as that's what ryo's doing. The part that had the best interaction (imo) was in the basement of the dojo. There were so many things you could pick up in that part and open different drawers and what not. In fact I think Ryo's house is the part in the game that you can pick up the most stuff. You can even pic up pictures from the wall.
The QTE was another good feature of the game such as the one part where Ryo is chasing the guy with his ticket to hong kong, you have to use a lot of QTE there. There are little parts scattered throught the game that use QTE but not too many. One of the best things to have the QTE was the QTE punching game in the You Arcade, I spents large amounts of time playing that game it was so fun. The 70 man battle was a very good part in the game and it was good that they gave you the option to play it over and over once you beat the game.... or was it right after you beat the 70 man battle? Either was Twas very good. And don't me started with the forklift, I loved riding that thing around and ALWAYS met my quota. Sometimes I would come very close to getting all of the boxes into the warehouse, I'm pretty sure on one shift I did that of getting all of the boxes in.

I would say that anyone who owns a DC (or even those who don't) should buy this game. For me it's not enough to play or rent the game but it's a must buy. Blockbuster was lucky that I never played this game when they used to have it there otherwise they would've never gotten it back from me.

Some pics showing the greatness in Shenmue:

(The 70 man battle)

(God help those who didn't like the forklift)

(Nazomi... the girl that Ryo is Fu**ing)

(I just thought this pic was funny)
Old 10-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #29
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Roller Coaster Tycoon

The game today for my review is Roller Coaster Tycoon. Yes it's a pretty old game, but who said my reviews were all about the current games? Anyways I picked this game because I've been playing it a lot lately and I figured I should review it.

Story
This game doesn't have any story to it unless you consider building a theme park a life-altering story worth discussing. I guess I can wing it though. You are selected to run a theme park. You must use your wits and cunning business strategies to build a successfull theme park. Ok that was best I could come up with for a story.

Graphics
This game uses a combo of 2D and 3D graphics.

It was a good combo to use, the graphics extreamly highend but they're very good. Zooming in and out during the game will slightly change the graphics but not enough to spoil the game. The gave good detail to a lot of things such as the people who all basicly look the same except when they're sick. The graphics on the rides themeselves are good.

Sound
It has pretty good sound. They give you the carnival feel that I expected from a theme park-type of game. Also, so for example you have music playing from the merry-go-round, well if the camera is focused on it you can clearly hear the music playing from the ride, but as you scroll the camera (or pan it) the music fades off into the opposite direction that you're scrolling to give it that realistic distance effect. Also you can hear the people scream when they're on the rides which is a very nice touch. And when a person throws up in the game you can hear them, not vomit, but cough. The people give different sounds such as laughter.

Gameplay
The gameplay is great in this game. Since it's for the pc it obviously uses the mouse and keyboard. One of the best parts is designing the roller coasters. They give you good control over the game and allows you to build the park exactly how you want by letting you alter the terrain by raising or lowering parts of the land, or even adjusting heights of certains rides.

Scores

Story - 1/10: There's really not a story to the game and the one I gave at the beginning is as much of a story as you're going to get from the game.

Graphics
The game has great graphics. The used the combo of 2D and 3D to make for really good gameplay. It seems to me they didn't skip on details either.

Sound
The music in the game was great and so were the special effects. They were very realistic and the sounds were timed correctly as well.

Gameplay
The game let's you control everything from prices to which areas the employees are in charge of. Not only was the things you had control of were good but the controls themselves. They give you a wide range of tools to use in the game and they are fairly easy to use. Beginners could easily learn how the gameplay works. The different missions and their goals give you a good challenge and you won't get bored of this game right away.

Final Thoughts
This is a very addicting game. I first played it a long time ago and it wasn't like one of those games that I play once and then never play it again. Also it's pretty challenge because you have to complete the goals within a certain time. It's not like it's just build a theme park and run it, it's build a theme park and meet the requirements to pass on to the next challenge. You have to maintain the park's sanitary and security as well as it's worth. The expansion packs are a good addon as well although I've only used one expansion pack. I'd say to anyone who hasn't played this to buy it.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #30
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Resident Evil - RM

Resident Evil - GC Remake

Ok this is the remade version of the original Resident Evil game. This action/horror game is what started it all and I'm review it today.

Story
Racoon City (why couldn't they name it Chipmunk City) was attacked by vicious zombies which took over. Jill Valentine part of the S.T.A.R.S team is investigating a nearby mansion to reveal who is behind all of this madness. Jill and the others of her team have to also look for members of the S.T.A.R.S bravo team who have seem to disappear. While looking for them they are attacked by dogs and hide in a nearby mansion, from there the continue their search through the darkened halls of the massive mansion.

My story thoughts
SPOILERS AHEAD
The story is good and solid. This is the story that started the whole RE series, although I don't count the RE4 story because it had nothing to do with RE and the story was ****ty as hell. Wesker always seemed sneaky to me which brought me to the conclusion that he was behind something. Berry wasn't too trusting when I found that document he was reading and the top part of the page was torn off which lead me to believe he tore it off. The little side story of the kid who's mother was lost or something was good, which lead to the battle between Jill and that "woman" that's chained up. The Tyrant has always been the best part of all of the RE games imo. The one in this first game was HUGE. I don't know if he was bigger than the one on Code Veronica, but he looked like a good 8 ft tall. I have no idea where the slashers came from, there may have been a document saying, but I may have missed it or just didn't bother to read it.

Graphics
They did a hell of a job on this game with the graphics. You can clearly tell the remake from the original because the characters aren't as block-like as they were in the old version. I can't compare too much to the original because I have never played the original. I've seen screenshots and people play it a couple of times, but I never played the psx version myself. The details are very good, especially with the lighting.

The lightning effects are a plus as well. Some hallways are darker than others and when you get to the later part of the game in the catacombs they did a good job with that as well in the lighting. The character's expressions are good as well even though you don't really get to see their faces upclose very often.

Sounds
This game has some incredible sounds. The sound of the lightning (or should I say thunder) is good, especially if you have some kick ass stereo speakers like I do (my gc's video is connected to the tv while the sound is connected to my stereo thus the reason for the badass sounds I have). I can't really say much for the sounds of the footsteps, but what can I say except that they sound real. They did use realistic sounds in the game and didn't just throw anything in there. Although I don't like the fact that when the zombies are walking you can hear the sounds of apples being stepped on in a pile of leaves type of footsteps. I wanted to be more suprised when they're walking and have them creep up to me sometimes and not give me too much forewarning.

The music in the game is good, I like the music they play when you encounter a hard enemy such as the giant snake. The save room music gave you that feeling of relief from ducking and dodging zombies all day.

Gameplay
The gameplay for this is what I consider good. I've heard many many many complaints that one of the bad things about this game are the camera angles, and I have to disagree with them 100%. The camera angles are what give this game it's charm, because there are times in the game that you are suprised by an enemy and that's what gets me excited, not like the re4 camera angle that gives you full view of everything before hand thus making it not as scarry/exciting. The one flaw I did find was the movement of the characters themselves, they moved in what I like to call a "square" movement. When you turn 1) take too long to turn towards the direction you want to go unless it's a 180 degree turn (that's one is fast though) and 2) they seem to turn in sections too much. If they would've fixed that problem then the game's gameplay would've been better than it already is.

The one very good thing they added to the game were the crimson heads. If you don't blow off a zombie (i'm talking about it's head you pervs AND i'm talkin bout the head on it's shoulders) or incinerate it it'll sometimes come back as one of those ruthless crimson heads. The crimson heads look just like a regular zombie except.. you guessed it, their heads are red, or crimson, thus the reason for the name. These bastards run after you with brute force and slash the hell out of you. If you are stuf in a small place with more than one of these bad boys you better hope you have a first aid spray for each crimson head because they do major damage. At first playing this game I didn't see a crimson head until I'm strolling down the hall and he just levetates upwards and runs after me. That had gave me a shock.

The puzzles in the game were good. I would've hate to see this game go in the direction of RE4 and have nothing but action. The puzzles made the game better imo and made it more fun. There were a couple that were damn near impossible (or at least for my pigeon-sized brain) to do without a guide.

Scores

Story - 9.5/10: It had a good story to start the series off with.
Graphics - 9/10: I have to say they improved much on this new version from the old version and they did a nice job with it.
Sounds - 7.5/10: Although they used realistic sounds there was sometimes a lack of bg music where they needed it, and as I said with the zombies apple-crunching footsteps it made.
Gameplay - 8/10: Excellent gameplay, excpet for the couple of flaws that I stated about the manual turning which hurt the score a bit.
Overall - 9/10: This game is very much worth going out to get.

This is a pic I found of the original RE for psx, the graphics just don't compare with the remake.